Nazi run San Bruno Cable capped my cable speed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:52 PM

Car Info: Sleeper Much?
**** run San Bruno Cable capped my cable speed!!!

The freaking **** run San Bruno Cable company capped my speed to 500k/sec. I called them today to ask why the net is so slow and they said I downloaded too much so until I fix something they're capping me at 500 freakin K. What a crock. Funny how they're a city run company, and they are the only cable company allowed in the city. The set their own rates, and terms of use with no competition. Anyone else had something similiar happen?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:58 PM

Car Info: you've got an electrical problem.
Complain to the FCC and the PUC...

What are you running a server at home? Oh and I'll under tand if you cant reply back til tomorow.. Or the 1st of the month..... lol
Old 09-19-2007, 04:39 PM

some companies have a bandwidth usage cap by the amount of gigs u download a month.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:28 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
hah that sucks. I've heard of people getting caps from their cable company but that was for downloading an insane amount, like 500+ gigs in a month. luckily comcast hasn't capped my connection, awhile back I downloaded over 300gigs of HD dvd's when hdbits had a free leech period.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:13 PM

Car Info: you've got an electrical problem.
If it was me.. Blame your neighbors for stealing your bandwith on your wireless. :-)
Old 09-19-2007, 11:05 PM

Car Info: Sleeper Much?
well i talked to the supervisor and temporarily got my service restored. He said so far this month I had used 70GB downstream. Now correct me if Im wrong, but I stream TV over the slingbox from my parents house to here at my house. It uses 75k/sec. I calculated that just the tv alone being streamed if on 24/7 would pull 170+GB per month. So is it unreasonable for a person to watch TV for 1/4 the day....6 hours...using say 40GB a month? I think not...then add on streaming video from internet sites, downloading files, and surfing. Thats easily over 100gb. They are only allowing freakin 5GB per month total up and down.

I really need to know what I can do. San Bruno doesnt have any other cable companies and Im pretty much stuck. Either I pay $80 month to get 60GB or I switch to DSL. If DSL who do I go with. I currently get 10mb/sec down and 300k up.

Im so damn pissed off right now. Someone direct me to some leverage against them. I want them to know their policy is crap and not in tune with the technology being used of today and the load it places on the connection.

Last edited by SSFWRX; 09-20-2007 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:12 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
Originally Posted by dan avoN7
luckily comcast hasn't capped my connection, awhile back I downloaded over 300gigs of HD dvd ****
fixed

Originally Posted by SSFWRX
well i talked to the supervisor and temporarily got my service restored. He said so far this month I had used 70GB downstream. Now correct me if Im wrong, but I stream TV over the slingbox from my parents house to here at my house. It uses 75k/sec. I calculated that just the tv alone being streamed if on 24/7 would pull 170+GB per month. So is it unreasonable for a person to watch TV for 1/4 the day....6 hours...using say 40GB a month? I think not...then add on streaming video from internet sites, downloading files, and surfing. Thats easily over 100gb. They are only allowing freakin 5GB per month total up and down.

I really need to know what I can do. San Bruno doesnt have any other cable companies and Im pretty much stuck. Either I pay $80 month to get 60GB or I switch to DSL. If DSL who do I go with. I currently get 10mb/sec down and 300k up.

Im so damn pissed off right now. Someone direct me to some leverage against them. I want them to know their policy is crap and not in tune with the technology being used of today and the load it places on the connection.
I currently use SBC and get 6mb down/768k up. I gotta see if there's any new promotions. I've always wanted to try getting cable and see how it was in my area but I think its still unavailable and not sure how many folks are using it in my area if it would be worth it or not. I'm kinda afraid of switching then being sorely dissapointed. We've had SBC for the past almost 8-9 yrs and never has been a hitch and never have complained about my bandwidth abuse at home

You may want to see what your contract states if you're supposed to recieve UP to a certain amount rather than a gauranteed bandwidth speed since they can't guarantee that kinda stuff incase it fluxuates. If you're guaranteed up to a certain amount you should raise that issue. Also do check your service agreement if it mentions anything about bandwidth abuse and what they may do incase of that. Most ISPs regardless of who they are or what type generally don't allow servers to be ran from a residence and if you do they typically tell you to get a business account to do so with their service.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:28 AM

well i guess try looking for a dsl provider.

http://www.dslreports.com

gl
Old 09-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Troll

Car Info: 2008 Legacy Spec-B
Sprint Speed!