My 2013 WRX buying experience, need expert advice from Bay Area Members

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:54 AM

Car Info: Subaru BRZ 2013
My 2013 WRX buying experience, need expert advice from Bay Area Members

I'm new to this forum and this post is sorta detailed, so please bear with me.

In the month of February I ordered this car:
2013 wrx limited sedan with sti short shifter and navigation (~30k)

In The end of May, this is what I received
2013 wrx limited hatch with sti shoft shifter and navigation (~30k)

I waited 3 months for my dream car, but unfortunately the dealer ordered the wrong car for me. I immediately asked whether I can quickly order another wrx and he said no, subaru is not accepting new orders. Please keep in mind that I also asked other dealers to verify this, and indeed i can't order a new car. Fast forward to 1.5 weeks later, he told me he was able to find another dealer with a similar car:

2013 wrx limited sedan with sti shoft shifter, no navigation and various other extras (~29.2k)

I was sorta furious because if I were to buy the exact specification 3 months I would've paid less than what he was offering me and I didn't need to wait. On top of that, it's not even what I ordered.

The trade was successful, and the second car is being transported to the other dealer so my current dealer can initiate the trade, a day later, I was struck with more bad news. The car had port damage so it's in repair...

What I am stuck with now is a dealer who supposedly "pulled strings" to get the car that I wanted..but now I may be paying for a new car price for a refurbished car (I am still waitng for the extent of the damage, but anyway work needs to be done to the car). I am leaning towards backing out on the deal (since all i did was put down a $500 refundable order). I don't want to burn bridges with this dealer because he's helpful and the prices are fair and if anything I do plan to order the 2014 wrx with him.

Please i-club community, what are your thoughts?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
Originally Posted by rourich
I'm new to this forum and this post is sorta detailed, so please bear with me.

In the month of February I ordered this car:
2013 wrx limited sedan with sti short shifter and navigation (~30k)

In The end of May, this is what I received
2013 wrx limited hatch with sti shoft shifter and navigation (~30k)

I waited 3 months for my dream car, but unfortunately the dealer ordered the wrong car for me. I immediately asked whether I can quickly order another wrx and he said no, subaru is not accepting new orders. Please keep in mind that I also asked other dealers to verify this, and indeed i can't order a new car. Fast forward to 1.5 weeks later, he told me he was able to find another dealer with a similar car:

2013 wrx limited sedan with sti shoft shifter, no navigation and various other extras (~29.2k)

I was sorta furious because if I were to buy the exact specification 3 months I would've paid less than what he was offering me and I didn't need to wait. On top of that, it's not even what I ordered.

The trade was successful, and the second car is being transported to the other dealer so my current dealer can initiate the trade, a day later, I was struck with more bad news. The car had port damage so it's in repair...

What I am stuck with now is a dealer who supposedly "pulled strings" to get the car that I wanted..but now I may be paying for a new car price for a refurbished car (I am still waitng for the extent of the damage, but anyway work needs to be done to the car). I am leaning towards backing out on the deal (since all i did was put down a $500 refundable order). I don't want to burn bridges with this dealer because he's helpful and the prices are fair and if anything I do plan to order the 2014 wrx with him.

Please i-club community, what are your thoughts?

What's the dealership? Keep in mind that it is your hard earned money... They should get you the car you want, case closed.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:13 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Definitely would have taken my money elsewhere. Which dealership was this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using i-Club
Old 06-05-2013, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by norcalbmxer4u
What's the dealership? Keep in mind that it is your hard earned money... They should get you the car you want, case closed.
I want to keep the dealership anonymous. But yes, you're right. I should get the car I want. I just don't want to burn the bridges because the price was fair and the whole experience was great up until I received the wrong car and that the new car is damaged at the port.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by w0ng3r
Definitely would have taken my money elsewhere. Which dealership was this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using i-Club
I want to keep the dealership anonymous because it's based on my personal experience, and i think it's an edge case. I have to say that this dealer had the highest rating on yelp, out of all the Bay Area Subaru dealers. And people generally were satisfied, unfortunately, I had to go through all this.

I think I may have to back out of the deal because all signs are pointing to no. I could have really bought the wrx without waiting, the only reason why I waited was because of the options I wanted. If i bought the car earlier, the price would have been a more juicier deal.

Edit:
Also the car is being repaired at the port. I tried asking to what extent the damage was done but he hasn't been able to get an answer yet. Also, I don't want to pay ~29k for a refurbished car.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:18 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
I want to keep the dealership anonymous. But yes, you're right. I should get the car I want. I just don't want to burn the bridges because the price was fair and the whole experience was great up until I received the wrong car and that the new car is damaged at the port.
Good service while they are trying to earn your dollar is expected, getting you the wrong car + damaging at the port + not taking care of their customer is NOT acceptable.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by w0ng3r
Good service while they are trying to earn your dollar is expected, getting you the wrong car + damaging at the port + not taking care of their customer is NOT acceptable.
According to the dealer, he had to "pull strings" to get the second car (since he felt bad for messing up the first order). The second car was exactly what I originally wanted except for not having the navigation. So I'm not sure what this really means or what kind of strings he had to pull to get this car. But it's unfortunate that there is shipping damage (which is sorta beyond anyone's control). It's just that the whole situation is infuriating.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited (sold 2009 WRX beast)
Tell the dealer you want a free navi installed and an extended warranty plan for free. Of course if the car isnt horribly damaged.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
No dealership that tells you they "pulled strings" is doing a favor for you. That is their job.

Dealerships need you more than you need them. Tell that dealership another subaru dealership offered you the STI model for 30k and see what they say.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
I might be wrong but isn't the navi in subarus terrible?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by bkblitzed
Yeah, you're right. Which is why I was fine with the second car. The fact that it was damaged at the port and is being serviced is what bothers me.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by LifePlaza
No dealership that tells you they "pulled strings" is doing a favor for you. That is their job.

Dealerships need you more than you need them. Tell that dealership another subaru dealership offered you the STI model for 30k and see what they say.
Yeah the pulling strings part was sketchy. I think he was trying to guilt trip me or something. If I tell him the STI for 30k, I'll probably have to provide proof.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:54 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
According to the dealer, he had to "pull strings" to get the second car (since he felt bad for messing up the first order). The second car was exactly what I originally wanted except for not having the navigation. So I'm not sure what this really means or what kind of strings he had to pull to get this car. But it's unfortunate that there is shipping damage (which is sorta beyond anyone's control). It's just that the whole situation is infuriating.
You're justified to be frustrated. You should definitely keep bothering the dealership to find out the extent of the damage.

Originally Posted by LifePlaza

+1

That's what I've heard, too.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
its always better to get an aftermarket one anyways..
Old 06-05-2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by kwiksilverwrx
Tell the dealer you want a free navi installed and an extended warranty plan for free. Of course if the car isnt horribly damaged.
I'm waiting to hear back to what extent the damage was. It can be as minor as a paint scuff or as major as replace a hood. He tells me he's trying to figure that out. Not sure if I can trust his words. Also it's a little mysterious how he found almost an "exact match" to my car.

Quick Reply: My 2013 WRX buying experience, need expert advice from Bay Area Members