moving to San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 11:03 AM

moving to San Francisco

Hey all. Just like the title says, I'm moving to San Francisco from San Diego. I'm in the Coast Guard and looking on living around the Mountain View area. I am wondering if there are any trustworthy Subaru performance shops in the area. I do all my own work on my car, but sometimes a professional is needed and I would like to know where I can take my car to if I needed. Thanks
Old 12-23-2013, 11:55 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Yes... there's lots of choices. You'll have time to search this forum as they've been discussed. So no worries moving to the south bay / pennisula area.

Be ready for housing sticker shock though.

LOTS of subies around here. Interested in rallyx?
Old 12-23-2013, 12:36 PM

Of course. I got excited about Sanoma Speedway being out by Novato. As it turns out, they might be putting me up in Novato housing.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by WRX-Ray
Hey all. Just like the title says, I'm moving to San Francisco from San Diego. I'm in the Coast Guard and looking on living around the Mountain View area. I am wondering if there are any trustworthy Subaru performance shops in the area. I do all my own work on my car, but sometimes a professional is needed and I would like to know where I can take my car to if I needed. Thanks
coast guard? There's a couple on here!

You got plenty of shops to work with.

Ahq relocated somewhere but near redwood city
Rbms in Hayward.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:35 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Welcome to the Bay!
Old 12-23-2013, 01:49 PM

Thanks. I'm really interested in running my car at Sanoma Speedway and doing some rallyx. All we have down here is an 1/8th mile drag at Qualcomm Stadium. The traction is horrible even for AWD. You are basically drag racing in a parking lot.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:05 PM

Welcome to the Bay Area! Check out Thunder Hill Raceway... Put Laguna Seca on your list also. It's just over by Monterey!
Old 12-23-2013, 02:49 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I think the Coast Guard still has an outpost on Mare Island.
It's like 20 min from Sears Point
Old 12-23-2013, 04:00 PM

I'll be working out of the base on Yerba Buena.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:18 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited
Fellow puddle pirate reporting. There's a few of us around here. Navato housing won't be too bad, just get in with a vanpool to save money. Mountain View wouldn't be too bad to live in either if you can get released from housing, least you'll be closer to a commissary. What unit they sending you to here? I'm at the ESD, been stuck here in Alameda for the last 7 years, keep cross decking.

For most of your work there's a decent auto hobby shop at Base Alameda, 3 lifts and a few long term project stalls. You can leave your car there overnight if needed, but you do pay for the stall while they're open. They're open Tues-Sat, if you want POC info send me a PM.

For rallyx I can point you in the right direction. Most are help up at Prairie City outside of Sacramento, and there's a yearly rally school held in Sonoma.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by sebhockey
Fellow puddle pirate reporting. There's a few of us around here. Navato housing won't be too bad, just get in with a vanpool to save money. Mountain View wouldn't be too bad to live in either if you can get released from housing, least you'll be closer to a commissary. What unit they sending you to here? I'm at the ESD, been stuck here in Alameda for the last 7 years, keep cross decking.

For most of your work there's a decent auto hobby shop at Base Alameda, 3 lifts and a few long term project stalls. You can leave your car there overnight if needed, but you do pay for the stall while they're open. They're open Tues-Sat, if you want POC info send me a PM.

For rallyx I can point you in the right direction. Most are help up at Prairie City outside of Sacramento, and there's a yearly rally school held in Sonoma.
The rally school sounds fun. Can you link some info?
Old 12-23-2013, 05:04 PM

That's awesome. I'm leaving the MSST san Diego and going to Station San Fran in June. I'm really excited about it.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:34 PM

Car Info: 09 STI
Garage1Auto in MV is a nice place!
Old 12-23-2013, 07:13 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Bah, Mud Ducks...

I kid, I kid, welcome to the bay area.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:08 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited
Originally Posted by PANGES
The rally school sounds fun. Can you link some info?
UP2MTNS is the organizer for it here, but Paul Eklund of Primitive Racing runs the school in Sonoma. I would post more, but I don't want to hijack.

WRX-Ray you'll be seeing me from time to time then, we are over at YBI every other week for your new unit or one of the others there. Someone off the Pike, I think their CO has a WRX and the MK2 off the Tern has a STI, don't think either are on here though.

Quick Reply: moving to San Francisco