motorcycle n00b questions, plz help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 04:19 PM

Car Info: nothing
motorcycle n00b questions, plz help?

Hey guys so ive been looking into gettin my own bike soon. i dont want to start off with something too advanced, nor something ill grow out of. I kind of want to have fun and be safe, looking good is a plus. Im thinking i can take advantage of the upcoming winter season to score a deal on a bike. what kind should i be looking for? i like sport bikes and open frames so ive been looking at used r6's, cbr600's, gsx-r600, and ducati monster's in particular. it is my first bike so i dont know the pro's and cons of these choices, as well as going new vs used. i feel like the 600cc range is a lot of power as well, but lots of people suggest it, should i be looking in the 400 range? im looking to spend around 5-6k on a fairly late model, low mileage (does it matter) good condition bike. if anyone can send me in the right direction, id appreciate it. thanks!
Old 10-03-2007, 04:24 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
R6...especially one of the last 2 years models is a great bike to start with.

it's light enough and sane enough that you can learn on it but has PLENTY of power.

Friend of mine has gone through more bikes than I can remember or he can for that matter. His last few bikes have been big time bikes...1000cc and up.

He sold them all and has a modified R6 and is STOKED on it. Was ripping wheelies off right next to me on mowry not to long ago.

Also have a buddy that did a TON of stunting on the first year R6's. The red one.

It's a very flexible bike.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:48 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
I want an R6 too
Old 10-03-2007, 04:52 PM

I would go with a 650 Ninja. Good beginners bike, very good reviews. Seating is low and you also sit more upright than other sport bikes so it's more comfortable. It's light and it handles well. Check out the magazine reviews
Old 10-03-2007, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by TurnWRX
I would go with a 650 Ninja. Good beginners bike, very good reviews. Seating is low and you also sit more upright than other sport bikes so it's more comfortable. It's light and it handles well. Check out the magazine reviews
those are fugly though. looks are important in my game still. what i am considering is the 08 ninja 250r which has a new fairing to look like a supersport. starts at like 3500 and from what i hear, would be a real controllable beginner bike. what do you think?
Name:  Picture2.png
Views: 7
Size:  94.8 KB
Old 10-03-2007, 05:02 PM

Car Info: 04wrx
r6 raven.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:11 PM

Car Info: '12 TSX 6MT/'01 E39 wagon/'67 VW on E85/'93 M900
Suzuki SV650, hands down.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Some will depend on that (insurance, for once). Also, your height will be a factor.

Have you gotten your motorcycle license yet? If not, sign up for the CHP course and go do it, I think 1-800-CCRIDER phone number still works. You get to ride on their bike and they teach you some good stuff.

I can give you lots of my opinions if you want, let me know

Stan
Old 10-03-2007, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by stan_t
Suzuki SV650, hands down.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Some will depend on that (insurance, for once). Also, your height will be a factor.

Have you gotten your motorcycle license yet? If not, sign up for the CHP course and go do it, I think 1-800-CCRIDER phone number still works. You get to ride on their bike and they teach you some good stuff.

I can give you lots of my opinions if you want, let me know

Stan
im 22, 6ft 2in. i havent got my license yet, ive played around on a dirtbike before. i plan on taking the msf riding course before i get a bike/to get my license. i dont screw around, i just wanna be safe on the bike and have a pure riding kinda experience. i can never make up my mind with what i wanna do with my car so if i want a loud in my face ride ill have the bike. considering all this, i feel like a 250r would be nice and fairly economical, but i dont want to end up having to sell my beginner bike for an r6 within a year when i want to progress.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by gmodc7
those are fugly though. looks are important in my game still. what i am considering is the 08 ninja 250r which has a new fairing to look like a supersport. starts at like 3500 and from what i hear, would be a real controllable beginner bike. what do you think?
that's great an all, heck I was looking at the 250 Ninja as a beginner's bike as well. But everybody told me I would regret it because there's no power to it and the power would get old fast. You would probably outgrow it quick and spend more money for another bike in the 600 cc range
Old 10-03-2007, 05:26 PM

Car Info: bugeye cobb stage 2
2007 gsx-r 600 is the best bike. i rode my dad gsx-r 600 and the bike was amazin fast and braking. im 6 foot and it fit me perfect. just buy the gsx-r 600 trust its a bada** bike
Old 10-03-2007, 05:28 PM

Car Info: 2001 Honda Oddysey
In my opinion, getting a 250 would be great for a beginner, but you'd probably get tired of it fast due to lack of power.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:37 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by slowwrx02
2007 gsx-r 600 is the best bike. i rode my dad gsx-r 600 and the bike was amazin fast and braking. im 6 foot and it fit me perfect. just buy the gsx-r 600 trust its a bada** bike
lol the gsxr is the ultimate squid bike from what ive read

I like the new ninja250 too, but its a tough sale for me considering my car is faster in a straight line . Its really only 60lbs lighter than an R6 as well. So yeah, im thinking later model R6 should fit the bill
Old 10-03-2007, 05:41 PM

Car Info: '12 TSX 6MT/'01 E39 wagon/'67 VW on E85/'93 M900
Alright, this is my my opinion for what it's worth.

I'm 32. I learned to ride when I was about 11. In high school I and my best friend started riding together, he died in a motorcycle accident on 101 in '99. Some time after that, I started riding more on dirt, then in '04 I started going out with a girl that didn't want me to ride at all (historical reasons above), although she's come around and is okay with me doing dirt again. I still have 2 bikes, '95 XR600 (street-plated), and a KDX200 (2-stroke, red-stickered). I love anything on 2 wheels (4 wheels, also )

Sports bikes are very tempting, powerful and cool-looking. You really have to have alot of self-control on one of those, and in my opinion it's easy to get in trouble. They are also very expensive and power is peaky (straight 4, high redline). Insurance will not be low, call and find out what it will be before you consider buying one.

V-twins will be alot of fun. You will have lots of torque, which is what you want. Ducati Monster, SV650 will be in that category.

On a motorcycle power is very addictive, but the thing with that is you always want more.. It's also nice to have the power in the lower range where it's useful on the street vs. having to rev the crap out of the bike.

I concentrate on handling. I love riding twisties. I rode a Ninja 250 for a while and would smoke fools on bigger bikes in the twisties.. but, the first gear on that bike is embarrassing. If you decide to do track days, a 250 will be excellent. They are cheap also.

There are lots of inline 4 600s out there. If you are looking at a used one, look for something as close to stock as possible and ridden by an older, experienced rider. People abuse these things like crazy.

Keep in mind: you WILL crash. It's just a matter of time. Always wear above-ankle boots, gloves. Kevlar pants and jacket is what I used, leather is too heavy, hot and expensive.

Learn the term "Squid" http://www.bytebrothers.org/SquidTest.htm. If you see anyone in tennis shoes on a bike, do not listen to a single word of their advice, just nod politely and forget anything they said. Trust me.

I can go on for a while, sorry. These are just my opinions, sorry if anyone is offended, but I know I'm right

Stan

Last edited by stan_t; 10-03-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
If you weigh over say 160lbs, a 250 will just **** you off. A 250 Ninja is better than say a 250 Nighty tho at least because it does have a little more power and actually has disc brakes...

Remember, you do not have to treat the throttle as an on/off switch, and a really important item is that with more power comes better brakes and stuff. Also, power on a motorcycle is a safety feature - you will recognize that the first time you NEED to get out of someone's way.

Another thing is that bikes like the R6 and such are wicked fast and etc, however in the lower rev ranges are VERY docile and easy to drive. My personal choices that I will be shopping for are the Triumph Speed Triple or a Honda 919 - just more my style. I have ridden thousands of miles on Harleys (my pops used to build them - grew up in Hawaii, they are pretty big there), and owned a Yamaha 750 v-twin (first bike @ age 15), Yamaha YZF-600R and my last bike a Ninja ZX-6. I need a garage bad...

Go to "Riders Choice" near 237/Lawrence in Sunnyvale and sit on a bunch of different bikes. I was just there last week with a buddy who is just starting this process too. It's really nice to get a feel for it, plus that all carbon-fiber and such Ducati is fun to look at.

Good luck, stay safe and stay rubber side down!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:45 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
definately words of wisdom. You can't ride for any length of time without going down.

EVERYONE I know has gone down...hard...at least once. One dead. One nearly died. Plenty of broken limbs including a pretty gnarly broken leg..spiral breaks..etc.

My mom always told us kids....I don't mind you riding....on the dirt. Mind you she was kind of a biker, her ex-husband raced circle track harleys and she had many..not several..MANY friends die.

A good place to go for information on bikes and rides is BARF. BayAreaRidersForums.com

Quick Reply: motorcycle n00b questions, plz help?