Monterey Bay Area Drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 01:25 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan
Monterey Bay Area Drive

I am trying to put together a drive in the Monterey Bay area. It is basically going to consist of taking the G20 to the G16 and then back up the G17 (Laureles Grade to Carmel Valley Rd to River Rd and back to the 68) for right now. I am going to go drive it today to see how long it is, traffic, etc. If anyone wants to come along send me a PM.

If it looks like a good route, then maybe we could organize an event for the 3rd weekend in February. What do you guys think? There are tons of roads around here along with some of the best scenary in the country. We don't have to limit it to interior roads...I just wanted to see what the participation would be if I planned this thing out.

Later
Old 01-31-2004, 01:38 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
i'll try to go. where is everyone gonna meet up?
Old 01-31-2004, 04:54 PM

Well the total mileage was around 100 and it took just under 2 hours to complete. I am not sure how long drives are usually planned to take (ie I can make it longer).

The meeting place would most likely be in the Target parking lot located at the intersection of Del Monte Blvd and Canyon Del Ray Blvd which is just off of Hwy 1.

The first half of the drive was amazing! So much fun to drive, although extremely technical. I kept my radio off the entire 2 hour drive just to listen to the engine and turbo work. The second half was much more relaxed...driving through the Salinas Valley farm area on a back road doing between 60 and 70 the whole time. Although I did get into the 100+ area on a particular straight away to get away from some kids in a lowered early 90's civic

All in all it was a lot of fun, however I think that we would do the drive in reverse just for the pure thrill factor. Oh yeah, I stopped by Laguna Seca Raceway too and watched a local car club do their thing for a bit. I wonder what it would take to get us onto the track. Oh well, here's to dreaming.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:06 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
how far is the Target from San Jose? hehe
Old 01-31-2004, 08:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
Easy drive from San Jose....id say no more than an hour. Ide be down...just let us know, I have a couple friends who would probably be interested as well, that arent on the forum. Ide have to be able to come home from school in SF that weekend so again, let us know.

Patrick
Old 01-31-2004, 08:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Aspen White Subaru STI
Hey kindersplus do you live around Monterey? I live in Salinas and will definately be there if something is organized. It's nice to have something finally close to me. Let me know!
Old 01-31-2004, 08:28 PM
VIP Member

Hey, im form Salinas....well, going to school in SF, but im back in Salinas right now, whats up??? Who are you? Ive got the BRP RS with the white hood vents.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:50 PM
VIP Member

My name is Suzanne. I'm not sure i've seen you around have you seen me? I drive an 03' WRB wrx with 18" Subzeros. Do you ever go to Walmart on Friday nights? Also, I work at Borders, if you've ever seen me there.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:20 AM
VIP Member

Are you the automatic WRB from Enigma? I was always at Walmart before I left for school.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: WRB WRX 2003 Subaru Sedan
I've driving that route a few times. It's really fun. No line in the middle of the road to tell you that you can't cut corners. I don't think i'll make it because i'm way up in Marin. But you never know. If i'm free that weekend and i can get a few friends to drive down with me....

I'll get back to ya.

-rich
Old 02-01-2004, 10:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Old Brighton
i might go
Old 02-01-2004, 10:52 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wgn
Hey, that's my old hometown! The only problem is passing in the CV road and laureles grade areas...plus the # of LEO's increases on that side on the weekends (I've been ticketed there in the past). I love the grade with that deacreasing radius turn! I've almost flown off the side a few times in my RX7. Nice run when there are no other cars around.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:36 PM

I have a stock WRB 04 WRX with Texas plates and a whole lot of military I.D. stickers on the windshield ;-)

When I drove the route yesterday the only 2 cars that were in front of me after getting out of the city of Carmel Valley used turn outs so that I could pass. Additionally, there was only one car coming from the other direction (a BMW 5 Series). There were a number of cars on River Road once I got back near Salinas.

I have been using this site to look at some pretty good roads local to the Monterey area.

http://www.pashnit.com

Although, if I can organize a road trip, I don't know how I could leave out a return trip back up on Highway 1 through Big Sur. What do you guys think? If we do it going north bound the traffic won't be as bad as if we were headed south bound.

The routes I have been thinking about are as follows:

River Rd (G17) to
Carmel Valley Road (G16) to
Laureles Grade (G20)

Time: Just under 2 hours
Distance: 100 miles

Pictures/Map:
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/CarmelValleyRd.htm

Laureles Grade (G20) to
Carmel Valley Road (G16) to
HWY 101 S to
Jolon Rd (G14) - near King City - to
Mission Rd to
Nacimiento Ferguson Road to
HWY 1 N

I think this would be around a 3 hour drive since it is about 165 miles.

Pictures/Maps Sequence:
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/CarmelValleyRd.htm
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/HighwayG14.htm
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/NacimientoRd.htm
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Hwy1BigSur.htm

There is also the 25 headed south out of Hollister but that would be an extremely long road trip, and not involve any sort of coastal driving. I am personally partial to the second route, but I will have to drive it next weekend to see exactly how long it is. Lemme know what you guys think.

Later
Old 02-01-2004, 04:10 PM
VIP Member

Yeah thats me out there with team Enigma. I think I've seen you out there a couple of times hanging out with that other WRB wrx that got taken by the CRX from Street Rage and the silver 04 wrx that broke an axle. If thats you then I've seen you out there before. Next time you are out there come by and we can meet each other.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:05 PM
VIP Member

Hah, yeah thats me, the other WRB WRX is Preston, all stock, and hes an idiot and does not no how to drive his car...all i have seen him do is lose...his car got slammed into by his friends truck the other week so thats where hes been. His friend also has a black WRX. The silver 04 is Steven, little bastard is only 17 and yeah he lost control, 4 wheel slide right into the curb and broke both drivers side axles and that wasnt all, 7K worth of damage but its all fixed and he now has the Blitz catback. Then there is my partner in crime...Jason with the black 02 WRX, stage 4, the one with the front mount and carbon fiber STi wing, im sure uve seen him. Its so ****in fast. Hes in the process of swapping in the STi 6 speed. All the kid does is put money into his car, thats it, lol.

By the way, what the hell does that annoying little CRX from street rage or whatever have. Ive heard LS turbo but its not very fast, or as fast as it should be for an LS turbo. We tried to set him up with Jason, the black WRX but he was being a cocky son of a ***** so my buddy raced that black 00 mustang thats dumped, killed it, all 3 times. All ive heard from them is stupid
**** talking and really nothing to back it up.

Were u there this weekend? If so, how funny was that damn helicoptor? it did suck tho cuz there were soooo many cops out. Anyway, next time i see u, ill flag u down, but im back in Marin cuz I have classes tomorrow so it might be a while.

Patrick

Last edited by EndlessWaltz RS; 02-01-2004 at 10:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Monterey Bay Area Drive