Maybe I just never noticed this before..

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 03:27 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Maybe I just never noticed this before..

Sorry for the noob question, but my engine seems to be doing something new, or at least it's gotten more noticeable.

Let's say I'm driving in 5th gear at around 2750 RPM. If I press down on the gas to accelerate (let's say I depress the pedal completely), at about 3000 RPM the engine sort of .. "hiccups" once and starts to feel more sluggish, and then at about 3500-3750 RPM it kicks back in with another hiccup and there's a surge in engine power.

I'm pretty sure the second hiccup is the turbo engaging, but it's the first one that concerns me. Thoughts?
Old 09-04-2009, 03:29 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Tune? Any addition of new parts or it just started? If just started maybe dirty air filter? Maybe because of recent high temps. I dunno man.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:33 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
second on tune, or at least dirty air filter
Old 09-04-2009, 03:36 PM

It's got the stock tune, no new parts, and my air filter was clean at the last oil change I had less than 2k miles ago.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
May be similar to a problem I had. The cause was never found, but the symptoms went away with a tune. I can ride along with you sometime after the weekend if you want.

What my problem was when I'd accelerate more than 50% throttle the RPM's would increase by about 500, then kind of pause, and then increase another 500, pause, and so on to about 5k RPM.

Dealership said it was the transmission "protecting itself" from the then stock engine. Modded the car and tuned it and the problem went away. I ran untuned for about a week after swapping from the automatic tranny to the manual, and the symptoms were back.

Anyways, if you want me to ride along to see if is the same issue, get my number from Danielle. I'll also see if I can get my AP cable working with my laptop again so we can do some logging and see if any values are off.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 09-04-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:39 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
i get that a lot too but my car is a pos right now
Old 09-04-2009, 03:55 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
could it be the type of gas you are using? I notice when i use certain gas it will act like that in my tribeca.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
May be similar to a problem I had. The cause was never found, but the symptoms went away with a tune. I can ride along with you sometime after the weekend if you want.

What my problem was when I'd accelerate more than 50% throttle the RPM's would increase by about 500, then kind of pause, and then increase another 500, pause, and so on to about 5k RPM.

Dealership said it was the transmission "protecting itself" from the then stock engine. Modded the car and tuned it and the problem went away. I ran untuned for about a week after swapping from the automatic tranny to the manual, and the symptoms were back.

Anyways, if you want me to ride along to see if is the same issue, get my number from Danielle. I'll also see if I can get my AP cable working with my laptop again so we can do some logging and see if any values are off.
Why can't you just pm him your number?

Old 09-04-2009, 04:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by soggynoodles
Why can't you just pm him your number?

because thats more buttons I have to press jackass.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
because thats more buttons I have to press jackass.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:56 PM

I'll be free to screw with this after the long weekend, and I'll get your number from Danielle.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:17 PM

Car Info: The 4 Train
My Audi did that twice (yes, I realize not the same car but might give you ideas of places to start)
First time: Vacuum hoses were leaking.
Second time: Needed new O2 sensor.

..... I think.... that car had so many problems it is sometimes hard for me to remember what fixed each problem.

Also, I never noticed it when driving your car before (granted I always tried to behave myself when driving your car so I didn't ever really push it hard ), but I don't remember it doing that when you were driving either.

Last edited by danielliez; 09-04-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:19 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
dont start with Audi's and their problems. Im currently at 0psi of boost...... gotta find that leak.....
Old 09-04-2009, 11:26 PM

Car Info: The 4 Train
Originally Posted by rau
dont start with Audi's and their problems. Im currently at 0psi of boost...... gotta find that leak.....

Oh gosh, I feel ya man! 4 yrs was ENOUGH of that *awesome* German engineering... STAB. Good luck finding the leak
Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by saqwarrior
It's got the stock tune, no new parts, and my air filter was clean at the last oil change I had less than 2k miles ago.
I think you should get a tune. i'd guess its fuel system related, unless something is going to bite the dust on your car. If you take it to someone like ED @eq tuning, he'd probably be the best to diagnose or notice any abnormality, rather than just tune your car and not try to find out whats going on. He's really good at that stuff.

Last edited by slow04wrx; 09-04-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Maybe I just never noticed this before..