Loud Squeak/Grind rotation Sound?

Old 06-01-2012, 11:34 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Question Loud Squeak/Grind rotation Sound?

So the car is making a lot of noise while driving. On a startup after not driving for a while, it's hard to hear within the first 30 seconds. However, after the cars warmed up the squeak is loud. Even on the freeway I can hear it, especially when I'm passing by another car and the sound reflects back. In addition, it sounds like the front left wheel area. And when I turn left or right, the more I turn, the louder the sound is. I thought it was the brakes, but those were just replaced last month, but didn't solve the loud issue of squeaky suspension. Sometimes it sounds like there is something grinding on something else.

03 WRX Sedan, after market Springs Struts, and sway bars. 165,000 miles, original owner.

6/4/2012 Update:
Confirmed it's the front left wheel bearing. Suggested to replace the hub+spindle+bearing

With that new information... anyone know where I can find a good used hub? =)

Last edited by iLoqin; 06-04-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: confirmed.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:39 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I would venture to guess at two things...

Axle. Is your CV boot torn?

But the leader in my guesses is that it's a wheel bearing. If it's starting to grind that it could be destroying your hub so I'd get it in asap. It goes from a pita expense to a huge expense if you need a hub... unless you can source a used one.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:26 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Most likely wheel bearing...couple quick ways to check - the center of the wheel will be a lot hotter than the other 3 due to more friction, also, jack that side up and try to move your wheel by hand, if there's any play its probably wheel bearing
Old 06-01-2012, 12:28 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Hate to say it.......... but it might sound like wheel bearing. Are you running after market wheels with some crazy offset? Or has any crazy offset wheels been on the car in the past?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:50 PM

Nope, just Rota 17s since like 8 years ago.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:09 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
Hate to say it.......... but it might sound like wheel bearing. Are you running after market wheels with some crazy offset? Or has any crazy offset wheels been on the car in the past?
I think it has more to do with the 165,000 miles. That's pretty good mileage to have never done a wheel bearing.

But either way I'd get it up and test it out asap. If it's bad enough to mess up you're hub you're gonna be bummed.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:11 PM

Hub + bearings + labor = $?
Should replace both sides?
Old 06-01-2012, 05:38 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by iLoqin
Hub + bearings + labor = $?
Should replace both sides?
If you can afford it do them all. But it's expensive.

It really depends on what all is toast.... if indeed it is the bearing. I'd just drive it by one of our local vendors and they can diagnose it quickly.

If it's just a bearing the parts are pretty cheap and it's a couple hours labor to pull the bearing and press a new one in. Figure a few hundred bucks. If you're hearing grinding and it's digging into the hub you'll need a new one. If you can find a used one you're talking $40-100. Then the extra labor to swap them.

I'd figure $275-375 for the one side.

If the hub is toast and you can find a low mileage used one and are handy with tools you could swap it yourself and only be out like $50-100.

I think my co-worker just had all 4 done and I think it was over $1000.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:41 PM
General Pimpin'

Or if your hub is good and you're handy with tools you can pull it off and take it to a shop. Buy the bearings. Have them pressed in. Go back home and re-install.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:01 PM

Car Info: Un Carrito Que Hace Vrooom Phsss!
Oil pick up tube! Lol.. Wait that's no laughing matter
Old 06-01-2012, 06:20 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Usually a wheel bearing noise you'll hear all the time. I just changed my front ones out. Right side was cake at 170k on the car. Left side was one piece with the axle. I took some aggression out on it and ended up buying a new axle and a hub. Fixed the wheel bearing noise but the whine/grind is still there and is probably coming from the transmission.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:50 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
Usually a wheel bearing noise you'll hear all the time. I just changed my front ones out. Right side was cake at 170k on the car. Left side was one piece with the axle. I took some aggression out on it and ended up buying a new axle and a hub. Fixed the wheel bearing noise but the whine/grind is still there and is probably coming from the transmission.
That sucks.

Yeah. When mine went it changed and would come and go depending on a few different things. Change speed and pitch. Etc. When it was really bad it was there all the time and just changed with speed. But when it wasn't too bad it would come and go.

Hells if I know. Take that isht to a shop and have it diagnosed. I'm shooting in the dark.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:28 AM

Car Info: hopes and dreams
My car makes a similar sound , gets louder as i go faster but when i clutch in the noise goes away. im assuming it has something to do with the clutch/transmission i need to figure it out haha.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:20 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by aznpride65o
My car makes a similar sound , gets louder as i go faster but when i clutch in the noise goes away. im assuming it has something to do with the clutch/transmission i need to figure it out haha.
Sounds like the throw out bearing.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:22 PM

Car Info: Fast
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
Usually a wheel bearing noise you'll hear all the time.
NOT true. I had a wheel bearing that was so bad the hub pulled out of the bearing by hand once the knuckle assembly was off. It only made noise when turning right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud Squeak/Grind rotation Sound?