Locating local car battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 11:09 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Locating local car battery shop near San Ramon

Subaru battery finally is failing on me after 46k miles.

I'm thinking of getting a lightweight battery like the Braille or the Odyssey. I do have a sound system with a 650 watt amp and a JL 10W6 but I don't listen to it very often with the car off, so should that make a difference and will the battery be able to power it with the car running?

Also, does anyone know of any place local to San Ramon that would carry such lightweight batteries?

Last edited by STi-owns-evo; 07-29-2006 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:09 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

whne you car is running, the alternator is powering everything.

even the battery becomes just another load on the system. only when the overall load is greater than the output of the alternator, does the battery begin to supplement the power.

at the point, the battery stops charging and eventually, even with the engine running, the battery will die.

again, that is only of the overload load is greater than the output of the alternator plus the battery...
Old 07-30-2006, 02:12 AM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
*claps*
Old 07-30-2006, 03:38 PM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX
i got my odyssey from sumitracing.com, http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 07-30-2006, 04:49 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
I think he's talking about the lightweight odyssey.

It's called the PC680MJ motorcycle battery: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ODYSS...spagenameZWDVW

MAKE SURE TO GET IT WITH AUTOMOTIVE TERMINALS. Motorcycle batts have a screw in type mount and you need these adapters to put them in cars.

You can also get a hold down like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Odyss...spagenameZWDVW
Old 07-30-2006, 04:51 PM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX
the pic is wrong in the link.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:59 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I have 800 watts and a single JL sub and I would DESTROY one of those batteries.

Our alt. is very very week. If memory serves its 75amps. It's barely enough to power what the car comes with stock. Shoot if you're paying attention the lights dim when your fan kicks on or you roll your windows up. The Alt flat sucks.

With the added pull from the stereo system....even while driving....you're gonna have issues.

My advice would be to get a nice dry cell like an optima red or yellow top battery. I run the red and still have issues from time to time with dimming.

If you want to run a light weight battery I suggest having your alt rewound. I know a guy on nasioc does it or did it and gets like 130amp. That is what I plan to do eventually. Probably just pick up a stocker and send it in so I don't have downtime.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by 4XREX
the pic is wrong in the link.

o whoops, you're right. I didn't see the part # in your link...
Old 07-30-2006, 10:26 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
So... I needed a battery as soon as I could cuz my alternate car is total garbage. I already ordered a PC680 w/ the SAE posts, but I read somewhere the battery fits with the stock tie downs for the '02-'03s but not the '04+? It was 97 shipped with the SAE posts, so not a bad price for saving ~ 20-30 lbs off the front of the car.

OneManArmy - I'll just have to learn to not listen to too much bass with this battery, or make sure I go for a long drive after I do . Do you know what that one item is called that stores power away from the battery just for a sound system, so when the bass hits it pulls power out of that instead of the battery so the lights don't dim?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Our alt. is very very week. If memory serves its 75amps. It's barely enough to power what the car comes with stock. Shoot if you're paying attention the lights dim when your fan kicks on or you roll your windows up. The Alt flat sucks.

yeah, i've noticed that.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:03 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
So... I needed a battery as soon as I could cuz my alternate car is total garbage. I already ordered a PC680 w/ the SAE posts, but I read somewhere the battery fits with the stock tie downs for the '02-'03s but not the '04+? It was 97 shipped with the SAE posts, so not a bad price for saving ~ 20-30 lbs off the front of the car.

OneManArmy - I'll just have to learn to not listen to too much bass with this battery, or make sure I go for a long drive after I do . Do you know what that one item is called that stores power away from the battery just for a sound system, so when the bass hits it pulls power out of that instead of the battery so the lights don't dim?

It's a cap. It's a helper not a fix all. I have one. Haven't installed it. Will evenutally.

If you get a high quality one it can make a pretty big difference. Lots of different ideas and science behind it. Whole nother thread for that one..haaa.

Yeah just avoid listening while stopped and long times of continuous base.

20-30 pounds....good lord. Didn't realize they made that big a difference.

let me know how it works...never know til you try.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
It's a cap. It's a helper not a fix all. I have one. Haven't installed it. Will evenutally.

If you get a high quality one it can make a pretty big difference. Lots of different ideas and science behind it. Whole nother thread for that one..haaa.

Yeah just avoid listening while stopped and long times of continuous base.

20-30 pounds....good lord. Didn't realize they made that big a difference.

let me know how it works...never know til you try.

I think the stocker is 35 lbs and the PC680 is 15lbs.... there's another brand that's 12 lbs (Braille's are rebadged w/ a markup... not unlike deadbolt turbos
Old 07-31-2006, 10:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I have a "Genesis" that I got used from a member. Had it about a year and a half with no probs but still running the stock stereo. I am using a Prodrive battery mount because the stock one bent securing the battery. I plan to install my system (have been planning for the last year) so maybe I will see. If I need to upgrade to an Optima (gel cel by the way) I will mount it in the trunk (after weighing the long cables to see if it's really worth it). I have had 3 Optimas in different cars and they are amazing, but they are heavy! With the JDM bumper beam (don't even start) and the teeny battery I think I have saved a good amount off the front of the car. It feels better and made a noticable difference. I really want an aluminum hood...

Does anyone make an aftermarket alternator for our cars? Is there another model from a car with more electronics or something that would work? Who is this guy who rewinds them? I would be down to pick up a used one and send it to him, then kick my current one down (for cost) into the rotation so we could all get it done over time without downtime (if the alts are the same, mine - '01 RS).
Old 07-31-2006, 10:48 PM
General Pimpin'

PM AcquaCow on NASIOC.

or do a search on HO Alternators there. Fritz does it. Few other places you can get HO alts.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...62#post1490362

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...hlight=battery

Quick Reply: Locating local car battery