Local dealership, recommended mods, wheel/tire (questions?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:59 AM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by matsui56
Someone needs to invent a better car clock. These things pooped out in my various Fords all the time too.

FYI- The brake cleaner and grease did not work for the hood. The hook looks fine, and it doesn't seem like it is off to the left or right.
Maybe the interior release cable is gummed-up, and won't allow the hood to fully latch?

Other than that, I'm outta ideas.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:41 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Snot Rod
Maybe the interior release cable is gummed-up, and won't allow the hood to fully latch?

Other than that, I'm outta ideas.
Found the problem!

The lever to pop the hood from the inside had started to slip and wasn't allowing the cable to fully disengage. I had to pull the cable out from the lever and push it in order for it to fully latch.

I can't get the cable back into the lever now... but at least it locks now.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:04 AM

Found the problem!

The lever to pop the hood from the inside had started to slip and wasn't allowing the cable to fully disengage. I had to pull the cable out from the lever and push it in order for it to fully latch.

I can't get the cable back into the lever now... but at least it locks now.
Glad to see you got the situation under control. I think you may have to drop by your local Subie dealer for a new cable and release lever.

On a side note:
Last Sunday while I was on my way to the Ontario airport to fly back home, I saw a bright yellow Pontiac Sunfire parked on the side of N/B I-15 in Corona with it's hood blown-back against the windsheild. That musta been exciting!
Old 01-13-2007, 05:58 PM

I just couldn't imagine driving an automobile on the freeway when the damn hood pops up.

Everytime I think about that I think about the scene in Tommy Boy when it happened. Which is why I hunted that problem down like a dog.

Another question about the car (I knew this was going to be a long thread):

So I swapped out the driver seat and put another stocker in (old one had some really funky stain that wouldn't come out). Are there any differences in the seats from 2002-2004? Something feels different about the one I put in, but I can't put my finger on it.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:01 PM

Oh, and another question:

I am looking to get wheels and tires shortly, and will probably want an alignment with them. What is done differently with AWD drive in terms of alignment? Any recommended shops in the South Bay?
Old 01-13-2007, 11:45 PM

So I swapped out the driver seat and put another stocker in (old one had some really funky stain that wouldn't come out). Are there any differences in the seats from 2002-2004? Something feels different about the one I put in, but I can't put my finger on it.
I think 02-03 seats are the same, but the '04-up seats are more heavily bolstered on the sides. Great for the twisties, teh sux0rs on long trips.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:23 AM

Yeah, I took the car up to La Honda yesterday, and on a pretty sharp hairpin I felt the seat get soft on the side a little. Not bad, but just enough to notice. I won't normally be driving like so, so no worry from me.

I did however, notice that in that same turn I had a little tire rub in the front. Stock 16" wheels with 205/50's and no lowering done to the car... should it rub at all?
Old 01-15-2007, 11:19 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Yeah, I took the car up to La Honda yesterday, and on a pretty sharp hairpin I felt the seat get soft on the side a little. Not bad, but just enough to notice. I won't normally be driving like so, so no worry from me.

I did however, notice that in that same turn I had a little tire rub in the front. Stock 16" wheels with 205/50's and no lowering done to the car... should it rub at all?
no way you should rub those.....you sure it was rub?
Old 01-15-2007, 11:21 AM
General Pimpin'

I just couldn't imagine driving an automobile on the freeway when the damn hood pops up.

Everytime I think about that I think about the scene in Tommy Boy when it happened. Which is why I hunted that problem down like a dog.

Another question about the car (I knew this was going to be a long thread):

02/03 the same. 04/05 the same with different material...slightly.

04/05 will fit your car. They look better but the bugeye seats are better in my opinion.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:23 AM
General Pimpin'

Oh, and another question:

I am looking to get wheels and tires shortly, and will probably want an alignment with them. What is done differently with AWD drive in terms of alignment? Any recommended shops in the South Bay?
AI. A decent alignment can help about as much as a crappy one can hurt. Go to AI and tell them how you plan to drive the car and how you want it to handle. Stock suspension alignments are limited and cheap. They'll take care of you over there. Tell them you're from i-club.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
no way you should rub those.....you sure it was rub?
I am positive it was rub, steering wheel was cranked 100% to the right and the car was leaning heavily to the left front corner. I was only a little surprised when I heard it because it was such a sharp downhill turn that I charged, however thinking about it later I realized I was on a stock wheel and tire setup.

You mention "AI" for an alignment. What does that stand for? They have a number or website?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:16 PM
General Pimpin'

I am positive it was rub, steering wheel was cranked 100% to the right and the car was leaning heavily to the left front corner. I was only a little surprised when I heard it because it was such a sharp downhill turn that I charged, however thinking about it later I realized I was on a stock wheel and tire setup.

You mention "AI" for an alignment. What does that stand for? They have a number or website?
auto innovations. It's in milpitas off of dixon landing.

In that case I'm not that surprised. You tires were probably folded over something fierce.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:54 PM

Yeah, those puppies were definitely not up for the challenge. Probably just took the car a little further than a stock setup should have been.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:29 AM
General Pimpin'

buy this wheelset.
https://www.i-club.com/forums/norcal-classifieds-96/gauging-interest-17-inch-gram-light-57s-154671/
Old 01-22-2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Yeah those were nice, but I actually found a pair of black Rota's that I liked, so now I'm just looking at tires.

What is a decent all season? I don't have much to spend on tires... anything good around a hundred bucks a pop?

Quick Reply: Local dealership, recommended mods, wheel/tire (questions?)