a little help with my clock

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 10:44 PM

a little help with my clock

it started yesterday (02 wrx).... clock would go off and on. no pattern what so ever, but it would keep the time. Today, it's been on for a little bit.

nothing else is wrong with the car, all the lights work. only thing I did yesterday was install some samco hoses.

haven't checked the fuse cuz the owners manual says the fuse is for the clock and interior light (it works).

wiring or the clock itself?

TIA
Old 03-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Wow, boy, did I read that title wrong...

*Sorry, I'm no help*
Old 03-07-2005, 10:48 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
hahahahahaha, i read it that way too
Old 03-07-2005, 11:39 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
if it's what i'm thinking... you guys are gross
Old 03-08-2005, 10:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
its the wiring. there's 2 power lines to the clock, one for lighting (acc) and one for keeping time (batt). sounds like the acc wire has shorted. its been a while since i've mucked with all that so i don't recall which wire is which but I'm sure you can find it on scoobymods.com or something.

if you find any warts or little bugs on it though, you're on your own.

jason
Old 03-09-2005, 05:59 AM

thanks jason.

no warts or little bugs. everything is in good working order on that front.

I do have the service manual and looked at the wiring diagram for the clock. How difficult of a job is this?
Old 03-09-2005, 07:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Originally Posted by En3D
thanks jason.

no warts or little bugs. everything is in good working order on that front.

I do have the service manual and looked at the wiring diagram for the clock. How difficult of a job is this?
Depends on where on the wire the break/short is. Hopefully you won't have to track it down with much effort. Have you been playing with the clock much these days? Using those lines for power for various devices? If so you probabaly weakened a wire near a new connection or at the clock harness. Usually stuff like this happens because of fatigue at the harness. If you have a clue as to what you are doing you can take the pin out of the harness and connect/solder it to the wire.

jason
Old 03-09-2005, 01:56 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

it started yesterday (02 wrx).... clock would go off and on. no pattern what so ever, but it would keep the time. Today, it's been on for a little bit.

nothing else is wrong with the car, all the lights work. only thing I did yesterday was install some samco hoses.

haven't checked the fuse cuz the owners manual says the fuse is for the clock and interior light (it works).

wiring or the clock itself?

TIA

make sure your battery connections are tight and clean from corrosion.

also, make sure the buttons for the clock arent's stuck in the PUSHED IN position...
Old 03-09-2005, 04:17 PM

I haven't done a thing to the electrical. man I hope I don't have to take apart the whole dash and trace down a wire.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:13 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX, Aspen White, Stage 1 Cobb
I haven't done a thing to the electrical. man I hope I don't have to take apart the whole dash and trace down a wire.
whoa whoa whoa.... it's not that bad. The same thing happened to me... and if you ever popped out your clock, that could have been the result....
if your clock is coming on and off and the time is correct, obviously it isn't hte battery.....
the wiring on your clock (like all the other wires in your car) weren't put together that well. If you drive your car hard, they are bound to go loose....

This is what you need to do (I did it on my car).... slide a screw driver beneath the clock gauge and slide it all the way towards the windshield (along one side of the clock). Use the screw driver to pry it off (you should be able to get your hand under there and pop up the back portion of the clock.
Then... if you push the wires towards the plug, you will find that the clock will turn on.... i.e. your plug connection is bad. From there, fiddle and do what you can.

My guess is that although you haven't touched the clock, you may have touched the stereo... and the wire harness from the stereo could have pulled on the wire harness from the clock.

FYI.... in the 80k miles of my car.... I've had the e-break go out.... the "door ajar" sensor wire rip.... along with a few others that i can't think of off hand.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:15 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX, Aspen White, Stage 1 Cobb
btw,... if you go to the sunnyvale meet today... I may be there, in which case I can quickly show you the issue