lets talk about plastidip...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by kbeetz
Wouldnt plastidipped rims be a pita to keep clean? I would think brake dust would stick to that rubber coating like crazy
i believe with rims, the trick is letting sit overnight to 24 hours to let it cure.

once cured, it's on there unless you really wanna peel it off...
Old 01-03-2013, 01:24 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
You're right.

Most people don't have the means to buy the kits anymore. And most people don't know how to use them and have a fear of spray guns.

They think... I can handle a spray can. But are scared of an actual spray gun.

When it's done right and it's taken care of it can be a reasonable solution in some cases. But that is by far the minority.

Even the dude with that white Z admits right away the problems he's had by being lazy and just having it on there for a year.

Same with doing a matte paint job. You take some out of the box orchard primer and spray it with a couple cases of cans it's going to look like **** (That's how the guy painted my caddy... grrrr). If you buy black paint and reduce it and add a flattener to it and prep the car and shoot it correctly it'll look a lot better.

Same essential deal... flat black. two totally different outcomes.

Same with Plasti-dip... good jobs and bad jobs. Most are bad.

But even when it's done right it will not look as good as matte black vinyl or a properly painted car. Just won't. Especially after a year.
Saw a plastidipped sti at GST, mike and I were laughing our asses off. You would have too.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 AM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
Originally Posted by kbeetz
Wouldnt plastidipped rims be a pita to keep clean? I would think brake dust would stick to that rubber coating like crazy
Brake dust isn't really visible so there isn't really a need to clean it. However, dirt or debris from the road Will make the plstidip dirty looking and isn't easy to clean off
Old 01-03-2013, 05:20 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by theoutbackdream
Brake dust isn't really visible so there isn't really a need to clean it. However, dirt or debris from the road Will make the plstidip dirty looking and isn't easy to clean off
The entire reason I have mudflaps was because I was tired of getting brake dust half way down the sides of my cars every few days of driving. And at the time this was on on 'low dust' Hawk HPSs.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
Saw a plastidipped sti at GST, mike and I were laughing our asses off. You would have too.
wouldn't laugh too hard that's probably 1 of the 3 cars that code3suby painted...

but yeah...

I'm planning on going to GST next Wed and then the meet after.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM

wouldn't laugh too hard that's probably 1 of the 3 cars that code3suby painted...

but yeah...

I'm planning on going to GST next Wed and then the meet after.
No it wasn't. I know one of my best friends, Paul, Would not do such shotty job out of a damn case of rattle cans. I dont think he would paint over lights and such either............ So yes I would be laughing hard and I did. Paul's in so cal now btw.....
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
No it wasn't. I know one of my best friends, Paul, Would not do such shotty job out of a damn case of rattle cans. I dont think he would paint over lights and such either............ So yes I would be laughing hard and I did. Paul's in so cal now btw.....
Really... when the hell did that happen? I just saw the dude!

Good... that's good. Then yes... I shall laugh in my minds eye with you and Mike. I can hear it now.... yes... LOL!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
That Z was out at our meet last night - finish is cool, and other than the staining he discussed, I thought it looked great, and it's been on a while.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by sybir
That Z was out at our meet last night - finish is cool, and other than the staining he discussed, I thought it looked great, and it's been on a while.
That's cool.

I honestly considered painting my wagon flat metallic white for a long while... but I'd only do it with paint or vinyl.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
That's cool.

I honestly considered painting my wagon flat metallic white for a long while... but I'd only do it with paint or vinyl.
Does this car get left outside at all? Does this car see regular driving? If yes to either of those, you don't want flat paint. We had someone in my old car club with a bike painted flat colors. He hates having to clean it. I can't imagine how much worse a car would be.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Brfatal
Does this car get left outside at all? Does this car see regular driving? If yes to either of those, you don't want flat paint. We had someone in my old car club with a bike painted flat colors. He hates having to clean it. I can't imagine how much worse a car would be.
Then he probably didn't do it right...

This car gets driven all over the country and mean all over. It sits outside. Sits in a shop. Etc... it's "flat"

There are several ways to do it. A lot of people roll around in tinted primer. That's stupid. Primer soaks up moisture and dirt and will look like crap really quick. Some folks roll around with a base coat with no clear. That's probably how the bike is painted.

The right way to do it IF you're going to go flat is to use a flattened clear coat. You can do it 2 stage or 1 stage. You can get it in kits now where the flattened clear is mixed in and it's just a one shot process. There is a slight possibility that this is how I will be painting my caddy...

This color...

But I'll probably mix some pearl in it. and the roof will be gloss black.

Why flat... because the body isn't perfect... yet... and a high gloss dark metallic burgundy will show EVERY imperfection on the car. The one shot flat burgundy will look a lot better than the **** black orchard primer on it now and cost me less than $600 to get in primer and paint... the

White vinyl is easy enough to clean as long as you don't leave crap sitting on it for days on end... like bee **** for one thing. I have a few sheets sitting around the office for samples that I've beat the hell out of. I mean walked on it... and cleaned it off weeks later.

Anything white takes work to keep clean. Anything flat white takes a bit more work. That's partly why I haven't done it... yet. I live on a gravel road. My car is dirty all the time and I didn't want to deal with it. When I move.. if I keep my car... I'll probably cover it in matte white or matte graphite.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:53 PM

Really... when the hell did that happen? I just saw the dude!

Good... that's good. Then yes... I shall laugh in my minds eye with you and Mike. I can hear it now.... yes... LOL!
You just saw the dude..........but several months ago! Lol. He went back down towards the end of oct 2012 for open heart surgery. Been down there for 3 months now.

I swear the job was so bad, it could have been a prank someone pulled......... or it could be that they pranked them selves by doing such a sketchy job. Who ever did it...... pranks on the owner! If Paul ever did a job that bad, I'd slap the plasti-dip off his face!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:17 PM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
****, i think plastidipped cars look good..

I wanna do mine in all OD green
Old 01-04-2013, 03:18 PM
General Pimpin'

Yeah. Time flies man. I've been busy as hell.

Seems like he's rebounding pretty well from the surgery. I didn't put 2/2 together that that is why he was down there.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 PM

Car Info: 2001 Miata NB
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
From another forum...

(The car was originally silver)

I don't think it's a terrible option.
i hate you joUrdan

Quick Reply: lets talk about plastidip...