Let me work in your driveway? Eastbay

Old 08-07-2016, 02:30 PM

Car Info: 2013 WRX
Let me work in your driveway? Eastbay

Unfortunately we moved into an apartment complex that does not take kindly to any sort of car work in the parking area. I've seen people get warnings for wiping down rims, cleaning windows, etc. I'm hoping to find a weekend where I can pull out he interior to lay down sound deadening. I'll have all the tools I need and can work on my own--though help is welcome if you want to help strip a 13 hatch. Drinks/lunch on me if you don't mind sharing some space . I looked into renting garage space but its really expensive given that all I need is space and not tools/lifts.

If you think you can help me out, shoot me a pm. I'm in Hayward so locations closer to here would be great.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:41 AM

Car Info: 1996 Impreza L
You can do it on our parking lot if you like as long as it's gone by Monday morning (GST Motorsports)
Old 08-08-2016, 02:57 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
You are welcome to come use my garage.

I live in Philadelphia though
Old 08-09-2016, 04:13 PM

Car Info: '06 Subaru Forester STI
Originally Posted by mnz.4
I've seen people get warnings for wiping down rims, cleaning windows, etc.
Seriously? WTF. Can I scratch my *** while getting out of my car or will I get "warned".

Are these "rules" written in your lease agreement??
Old 08-11-2016, 08:57 PM

Car Info: 2013 WRX
Thanks for the offers. I actually get my oil changed at GST.

And yes it sucks. We are renting at a condoplex with an HOA from hell
Old 08-12-2016, 07:55 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by mnz.4
Unfortunately we moved into an apartment complex that does not take kindly to any sort of car work in the parking area. I've seen people get warnings for wiping down rims, cleaning windows, etc.
Originally Posted by Wangta
Seriously? WTF. Can I scratch my *** while getting out of my car or will I get "warned".

Are these "rules" written in your lease agreement??
Not surprised. This is actually pretty standard. My townhouse complex HOA prevents "unqualified/non-certified individual" from opening car bonnet open as that indicates automotive work...and only for the purposes of towing the vehicle to a certified location of suited for automotive work (or something like that). So I cannot even check my oil or refill window washer fluid without getting citations.

They also specify the condition one's car must be maintained and cite you if it is not (ex. car is too dirty). And, yes, all of its in writing and fully enforceable in court.

So, yeah, HOA are typically run by some jaded retired folks or trophy spouses with nothing better to do.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by LxJLthr; 08-12-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:04 PM

Car Info: '06 Subaru Forester STI
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Not surprised. This is actually pretty standard. My townhouse complex HOA prevents "unqualified/non-certified individual" from opening their car bonnet open as that indicates automotive work. So I cannot even check my oil or refill window washer fluid without getting citations.

They also specify the condition one's car must be maintained and cite you if it is not (ex. car is too dirty). And, yes, all of its in writing and fully enforceable in court.

So, yeah, HOA are typically run by some jaded retired folks or trophy spouses with nothing better to do.

Good luck!!!
I guess I'm left wondering what "unqualified/non-certified" means? Do you have to be a certified subaru tech or have a degree from harvard in mechanical engineering?

That is pretty BS if you ask me - HOA's can make any rules I guess, but isn't there some threshold of ridiculousness? Like, if I drive out of the garage to say, drive down to LA, and per vehicle manual - it says I should check all fluids and tires before I embark on such a trip - but I can't because of HOA rules and I end up stalling in the middle of the street right after pulling out and I somehow cause an accident or hurt people. Could you sue the **** out of the HOA??? That's like saying you can't do normal checks and balances that are needed for safety. Doesn't make sense - especially considering you can do any of the basic stuff on any city street or gas station - washer fluid and oil checking? I'd dare them to write me a citation on either of those tings...
Old 08-13-2016, 01:31 AM

You are preaching to the choir bothah. But your logic assumes HOA considers the entire impact of society versus their individual small plot of land.

And, yes, I had an HOA board member (I am "lucky" there are 3 that live in my row of townhouses) say to me exactly that...that I cannot do those normal checks in our lots and there are more "appropriate places" for such "normal checks" such as an accredited mechanics garage or a gas station.

It comes down to this, we live in a very protectionist society where people are only concerned with minimizing their direct liability. HOA is not concerned with anyone's safety...they are concerned with their liabilities and cost that can potentially offset their fees revenues (ex. you creating an oil spill/leak which then gets kicked by a dog of a lawyer who sues HOA for negligence).
Old 08-13-2016, 01:38 AM

Random story, I was having a bad weekend and one of those HOA board people telling me I could not do something small to my car was the last straw. So I followed their explicit direction of taking my car to a more appropriate space even if I had to tow it there...

...so I had the AAA flat bed arrive first thing Monday morning around the mass exodus time of cars leaving for work. I convinced the guy to take his sweet *** time loading my car on the flat bed effectively blocking everyone from existing (since I parked my car in just the right strategic location).

Oh the expletives thrown at me by everyone about THEM being inconvenienced...including that HOA person who told me to do exactly that. Which I quoted back to him verbatim...aka I need my car for work and since I could not take care of it over the weekend, this was my only "safe" choice to get it to "an appropriate place" to resolve the issue as soon as possible since I did not want to be "non compliant" with the regulations of keeping "non-maintained vehicles" on our premises. Oh the look on his face. PRICELESS.

Let's just say I have gotten some liency since theh

Last edited by LxJLthr; 08-13-2016 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:08 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Random story, I was having a bad weekend and one of those HOA board people telling me I could not do something small to my car was the last straw. So I followed their explicit direction of taking my car to a more appropriate space even if I had to tow it there...

...so I had the AAA flat bed arrive first thing Monday morning around the mass exodus time of cars leaving for work. I convinced the guy to take his sweet *** time loading my car on the flat bed effectively blocking everyone from existing (since I parked my car in just the right strategic location).

Oh the expletives thrown at me by everyone about THEM being inconvenienced...including that HOA person who told me to do exactly that. Which I quoted back to him verbatim...aka I need my car for work and since I could not take care of it over the weekend, this was my only "safe" choice to get it to "an appropriate place" to resolve the issue as soon as possible since I did not want to be "non compliant" with the regulations of keeping "non-maintained vehicles" on our premises. Oh the look on his face. PRICELESS.

Let's just say I have gotten some liency since theh
Winning!
ha! i would have loved to see that guys face.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:22 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX
Not sure if you found space yet, but feel free to PM me if you have not. I have a driveway that you can work out of. (as long as your subie don't leak!)

I'm in north Fremont / Union City