Legal tint in California?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 04:48 PM

Car Info: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Legal tint in California?

Anyone have any info on how much tint one can have on their windows in California? And yes, I'm talking about the driver side window, too. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2003, 05:03 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
Not sure about the front, but I know you can go all the way in the rears.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:25 PM

it's illegal to have the front windows tinted at all, unless you put on one of those perfectly clear UV guard tints. No matter what shop you go to, they'll make you sign a waiver saying that you understand that it's illegal to tint the fronts, or at least that's what i've experienced at the three tint shops i've been to.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
i believe that 70% (70% of light shines through) is legal in california for the front driver and passanger windows. the back ones and the rear window can be as dark as you want them.
you could proabbly run 35% in the front and get away with it. i have 35%all around and its pretty good. its not too dark in the day, but at night it still gives the car the blacked out look.

Last edited by DLUX WRX; 07-03-2003 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: a few WRX's and a Z ;)
i think your stock WRX has the maximum legal front window tint already on it...
Old 07-03-2003, 08:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally posted by babymike
it's illegal to have the front windows tinted at all, unless you put on one of those perfectly clear UV guard tints. No matter what shop you go to, they'll make you sign a waiver saying that you understand that it's illegal to tint the fronts, or at least that's what i've experienced at the three tint shops i've been to.

what he said. i did 50% front and didn't have to sign a waiver. Instead they just didn't put it on the receipt.

eric
Old 07-03-2003, 08:56 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Originally posted by DLUX WRX
i believe that 70% (70% of light shines through) is legal in california for the front driver and passanger windows. the back ones and the rear window can be as dark as you want them.
you could proabbly run 35% in the front and get away with it. i have 35%all around and its pretty good. its not too dark in the day, but at night it still gives the car the blacked out look.
that is false information. ANY tint in the front windows is illegal. will you get nailed for it? it really depends where you drive. fremont? yes. san jose? yes. san fran? maybe. anywhere else? unlikely. there are no restrictions on windows other than the windshield and drivers and passengers front windows ie you could put up curtains if you want.

AND DO A GODDAM SEARCH.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:39 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
Originally posted by suby_dude
i think your stock WRX has the maximum legal front window tint already on it...
That is what I thought. I thought that all factory tint was maxed out on the fronts. But I know that some places do a straight out UV protection layer on the fronts that is almost clear.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:21 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by Kuonji
Anyone have any info on how much tint one can have on their windows in California? And yes, I'm talking about the driver side window, too.
Here's an Adobe Acrobat file with an easy-to-read state-by-state map with tint standards, as well as a chart.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-04-2003, 10:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
Originally posted by Steppin Razor
that is false information. ANY tint in the front windows is illegal. will you get nailed for it? it really depends where you drive. fremont? yes. san jose? yes. san fran? maybe. anywhere else? unlikely. there are no restrictions on windows other than the windshield and drivers and passengers front windows ie you could put up curtains if you want.

AND DO A GODDAM SEARCH.
False infrmation??? Check the Vehicle Code for California. Section 26708 states that 70% is the darkest allowed on the front two side windows. Also, the link Wingless Wonder posted backs up the Vehicle Code.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:22 AM

Car Info: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Thanks guys! That'll help a lot.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:28 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Section 26708 states that 70% is the darkest allowed on the front two side windows. Also, the link Wingless Wonder posted backs up the Vehicle Code.
While I think the link I posted is accurate, the shop that applied the film (20%, I think) to my back three windows flat refuses to put any film on the front side windows other than clear UV film because of problems with local law enforcement. I'm considering getting the UV film if it results in a slightly cooler interior.

I had my windows done at Rocky Mountain Window Tint on El Camino Ave off I-80 in Sacramento. They charge a little more but gave me a discount a few years ago when a friend had his car done at the same time. The workmanship and materials seems pretty good on both my old Taurus and my rex. They use Formula One brand window film.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-04-2003, 05:55 PM
@Stoptech

False infrmation??? Check the Vehicle Code for California. Section 26708 states that 70% is the darkest allowed on the front two side windows. Also, the link Wingless Wonder posted backs up the Vehicle Code.
Yes, false information. CVC 26708(d) subsection 1 states that "the material must have a visible light transmittance of 88%." You do realize that the numbers used in discussion of window tint is the amount of light BLOCKED right? As in i have 80% tint, that means it blocks 80% of light and allows 20% of visible light to be transmitted through. SO. As stated above, you may not legally "app[y] to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat," any material that blocks more than 12% of visible light. Do you understand that 12% tint would probably not even be noticable?

So, to summarize, the information you posted was FALSE. Not one person here appreciates you giving FALSE information. Please do not do it anymore.

But, in order to prevent a flame-war, I would like to acknowledge that the difference between 30% and 12% tint is negligible, therefore there is next to no chance that a cop will call you on 30% tint or 13% tint for that matter. So for most imaginable situations, your advice would have been sound. I wish we could come up with a FAQ section that r00ks MUST read before they can even enter BAIC. We must get that question once a week, and I'm not exaggerating (I cannot for the life of me remember how to spell that word ). tacobellmexicanpizza can vouch for me on that one.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:57 PM
@Stoptech

and wingless wonder, that F1 tint must be pretty insane stuff. how much horsepower and skidpad Gs does that add?

Quick Reply: Legal tint in California?