2.13%
Teach them a lesson and give them a beating
36.17%
Slap on the wrist; they don't know any better
2.13%
Other
21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Kids abusing animals: what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 05:13 PM

Kids abusing animals: what would you do?

Three children suspected of abusing kittens, killing one, in Watsonville

Jessica M. Pasko, Santa Cruz Sentinel
Posted: 08/03/2012 09:08:26 AM PDT
Updated: 08/03/2012 10:10:43 AM PDT

WATSONVILLE - Santa Cruz County Animal Shelter officials have asked Juvenile Hall to file charges against three young children believed to have abused a trio of kittens, one of which was so badly injured it had to be euthanized.
Todd Stosuy, the shelter's field services manager, responded to West Front Street in Watsonville Sunday evening after a witness reported seeing two girls and a boy abusing three kittens.
When Stosuy arrived, the children had fled but the kittens remained in the street. A witness was able to identify the kids, all of whom are younger than 10 years old.
One of the kittens suffered severe brain injuries, possibly due to being thrown against a wall, and had to be euthanized, Stosuy said.
The other two kittens had pieces of rope tied around their necks, restricting their breathing. Stosuy initially was concerned that the animals would suffer breathing difficulties as a result of the abuse but a veterinarian evaluated them and determined they were OK.
The kittens, about 4 or 5 weeks of age, are believed to have been strays.
Stosuy said he has filed a report with Juvenile Hall asking for felony animal cruelty charges to be filed against the three children.
The surviving cats are being cared for at a foster home.
So what would you guys do in this situation?
Old 08-03-2012, 05:17 PM

Car Info: Nadda
I guess if you're a pet advocate you'd be mad... but I've done bad things with BB guns when I was a kid for fun.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:18 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Interesting article. I was reading it this morning and Im unsure of what I would do. Usually fines hurt so maybe stick the parents with a big fine + stick them with vet costs and make the kids volunteer at the animal shelter for a year and take some classes on animal care.

Not really sure what hitting a 10 year old with a felony will do in the grand scheme of things. Im sure once you fine the parents, the kids are going to get beat anyway lol.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:20 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by iLoqin
I guess if you're a pet advocate you'd be mad... but I've done bad things with BB guns when I was a kid for fun.
I used to make slingshots with soda bottle tops + balloon and rubber bands, head to the local park and practice my aim on squirrels.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH

Not really sure what hitting a 10 year old with a felony will do in the grand scheme of things. Im sure once you fine the parents, the kids are going to get beat anyway lol.
Maybe they go to juvie? Dunno
Old 08-03-2012, 05:22 PM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
stick the parents with a big fine + stick them with vet costs and make the kids volunteer at the animal shelter for a year and take some classes on animal care.
Completely agree with this ^

The kids don't know better obviously because of bad parenting, slap them with the fine, and the vet bills and send the kids to learn animal care at a shelter
Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Fine the parents, spank the **** out of the kids. Yes, I believe in spankings -- no permanent damage, but a helluva lesson.
If I ever have kids and they do stupid **** that warrants a spanking, I'll totally spank them.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:56 PM

Car Info: 07 UGM FXT
Thumbs down

Interesting article. I was reading it this morning and Im unsure of what I would do. Usually fines hurt so maybe stick the parents with a big fine + stick them with vet costs and make the kids volunteer at the animal shelter for a year and take some classes on animal care.

+1 to this. This kind of stuff seriously angers me.
There was two kids from my high school who were gutting cats inside out and guess what. Ended up killing their friend, I'm sure you all heard about it in south San Jose.

Animal abuse is disgusting.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:33 AM

Car Info: 2012 WRB WRX

+1 hopefully the parents will and animal shelter will slap the serial killer right outta them.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Had I witnessed this I'd have hog tied the kids and taken turns throwing them at a wall.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:12 PM

Car Info: 2010 WRX STI
These kids needs to see a psychologist ASAP. Animal torture in children is a physiological illness that can lead to serial killings and mass murders. Infamous killers like Jeffrey Dahmer and Richard Ramirez also tortured animals in their childhoods.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:31 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Serial killers in the making right there. Don't coddle them, lock them up for good, no chance for parole, no getting out when they are 18. Toss them in prison, and loose the key.

Now in truth, I personaly think they should be executed for the good of humanity, but I suspect most of you would flip out at that idea. 'omg they are only 10'
Old 08-04-2012, 10:51 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX hatchback Automatic SONNNNN!
Originally Posted by Smiley_Face
These kids needs to see a psychologist ASAP. Animal torture in children is a physiological illness that can lead to serial killings and mass murders. Infamous killers like Jeffrey Dahmer and Richard Ramirez also tortured animals in their childhoods.
This is the first thing i thought of.....*shudders* messed up...

Originally Posted by Overbear
Serial killers in the making right there. Don't coddle them, lock them up for good, no chance for parole, no getting out when they are 18. Toss them in prison, and loose the key.

Now in truth, I personaly think they should be executed for the good of humanity, but I suspect most of you would flip out at that idea. 'omg they are only 10'
Age ain't nothin but a number.......think of the kittens....
Old 08-06-2012, 07:13 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by fuzzypanda187
Age ain't nothin but a number.......think of the kittens....
Serial killers start with animals and work their way up as they gain confidence and age.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:40 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX Wagon, 06 Forester XT, 99 Legacy Sedan
psychologist is the way to go.

The problem is that if all of them are under 10 years old... then I question whether or not they can even learn the lesson in the gravity that it needs to be learned.

I can think back to when I was 10... your thought process is not as focused or mature. Think of all the stupid stuff that you have seen a kid under 10 doing...

I MEAN REALLY STUPID STUFF.

I feel as thought this is in the same realm in the kids mind... but to adults this seems heinous.

There is always a curiosity to death... these kids just went about it the wrong way.

I know I learned the importance of an animals life the first time I went hunting. There is a lot of growing up that a child does if hunting for the first time is correctly taught.

Quick Reply: Kids abusing animals: what would you do?