Ken Block - Monster Energy WRC Team???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:47 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
This would be cool for the US but I'd rather have Pastrana as a driver over Block.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:07 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Just keep it Subaru! Its a pure crime that Subaru isnt in the WRC, maybe this will get the factory backing going again. SOA already backs Monster as it is so who knows.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:01 PM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
Yeah, I rather have Pastrana represent over Block. And anyways other article's mentions driving bad-a$$ WRC spec Ford Focus' that we never get over here.

On the off-topic:
What ever happened to Valentino Rossi checking out the WRC? Is that over and done with?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:12 PM

Car Info: Fast
Who really gives a **** whether Block can keep up with the WRC guys? Anyone who has ever WATCHED WRC and Rally America could tell you that he has little chance. The real point to this is:

- Block is an icon, and he WILL bring an incredible amount of attention to WRC, especially with WRC on US TV now

- the WRC is already hoping to bring an event back to the US, and getting back on US TV is only the first step.

Is everyone so blind that they cannot see how Block can help get the US back into the WRC?

Finally, if Block is even going to compete with the WRC guys, he has to practice at their level and rub elbows with them. He is at a disadvantage as he did not grow up rallying the roads of Europe (as he will tell you himself) but any experience is good, especially at the WRC level.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:39 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Is Ken Block to WRC as Kimbo Slice is to UFC?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by STiForFun
Is Ken Block to WRC as Kimbo Slice is to UFC?
lol.

ken block crashes a lot. that's all i know and see.
oh yes, and his videos are entertaining.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by aboothman
Who really gives a **** whether Block can keep up with the WRC guys? Anyone who has ever WATCHED WRC and Rally America could tell you that he has little chance. The real point to this is:

- Block is an icon, and he WILL bring an incredible amount of attention to WRC, especially with WRC on US TV now

- the WRC is already hoping to bring an event back to the US, and getting back on US TV is only the first step.

Is everyone so blind that they cannot see how Block can help get the US back into the WRC?

Finally, if Block is even going to compete with the WRC guys, he has to practice at their level and rub elbows with them. He is at a disadvantage as he did not grow up rallying the roads of Europe (as he will tell you himself) but any experience is good, especially at the WRC level.

and then they don't see him, AT ALL, in the coverage, you feel they will stay hooked?!

If he's so good at bringing in viewership, why is rally america not televised so prominently? All he and Travis have done is bring rally racing to the X-Games... that's as far as it's gotten.

So basically, people who are only exposed to rally will think it's all Arena stuff. Like, why can't the X-Games hold a REAL RALLY, like with stages over multiple days somewhere in the LA basin? Now if people watch and get hooked on that, I'll give some credit where credit is due.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:03 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
do you all remember that the reason that Subaru is out of the WRC game was due to the new limits on the vehicles that can participate?

Ken's STi probably has 2x the power that the new S2000 cars produce, its nothing like the old WRC.

I am all for getting a WRC event here in the us, but the cars are completely different now. If you want to see Subaru, go watch some Group N.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:06 AM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc

And then they don't see him, at all, in the coverage, you feel they will stay hooked?!

If he's so good at bringing in viewership, why is rally america not televised so prominently? All he and travis have done is bring rally racing to the x-games... That's as far as it's gotten.

so basically, people who are only exposed to rally will think it's all arena stuff. Like, why can't the x-games hold a real rally, like with stages over multiple days somewhere in the la basin? Now if people watch and get hooked on that, i'll give some credit where credit is due.
bingo!!
Old 10-16-2009, 10:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Talking

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc

and then they don't see him, AT ALL, in the coverage, you feel they will stay hooked?!

If he's so good at bringing in viewership, why is rally america not televised so prominently? All he and Travis have done is bring rally racing to the X-Games... that's as far as it's gotten.

So basically, people who are only exposed to rally will think it's all Arena stuff. Like, why can't the X-Games hold a REAL RALLY, like with stages over multiple days somewhere in the LA basin? Now if people watch and get hooked on that, I'll give some credit where credit is due.
Rally America doesn't have coverage because they have nowhere near the level of organization that it takes to run an FIA level event let alone get cameras everywhere to cover it properly. There's a reason HD Theater is stepping up and bringing WRC television coverage back to the US and the reason is because they've watched the popularity of rally and rally cars increase over the past few years. I don't care if Block crashes out at every event. The fact that an American is giving it a go and getting financing together to run a full factory effort is huge. Don't think for a second that the WRC coverage wouldn't include the Monster WRC team and Block. Block has fans from all different aspects of action sports and those people would be drawn to whatever he's doing, good or bad. The WRC is always looking for a greater fan base and since there isn't much of one here in the US it may draw a whole new group of people into the WRC fold.

F**king haters!

aboothman, you're spot on!

-Brian
Old 10-16-2009, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
And Gagan, all it takes is watching one WRC event to get hooked. That's all it took for me and millions of others

-Brian
Old 10-16-2009, 11:16 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
Rally America doesn't have coverage because they have nowhere near the level of organization that it takes to run an FIA level event
Exactly why Mexico was chosen over the US. Also exactly why we won't get a WRC event for a long time. We don't currently have a single event that is close to the level of organization needed. Sorry, but Mr. Block isn't going to be able to change that. Not unless he pours his millions into an event that is - even then I question it.

Also, it's great that he will bring the sport to more viewers. I don't believe most of them will care too much once they realize that rally as a spectator sport isn't the best. X-Games is popular because it's contained in an arena as a SS type stage. Why do you think Americans like their Nascar so much? Not as many people would be willing to wait in a forest, usually in the cold to see cars go by once.

Only time will tell of course. As much as I wouldn't mind eating my words I'm sticking to my guns for now.

"I can sleep in the car, but I can't rally the house."
Old 10-16-2009, 11:31 AM

Car Info: Type 53
well, we've all seen the loads of people watching bicycle races that happenned here in the bay, i'm sure there's got to be more rally enthusiasts than there are bike racers.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:34 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
I highly doubt that.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:38 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
I don't know if you all noticed, but the Ken Block pit crew was at BAM. I could tell by their shirts...

Quick Reply: Ken Block - Monster Energy WRC Team???