Ken Block... in a fiesta?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:43 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
I wish the best of luck to Ken Block, personally I'm excited that Americans are coming into WRC. Hopefully the US will get away from it's couch infront of the tv watching Nascar eating Mc Donalds mindset and into the drinking beer on a cold *** road in the rain watching cars get stupid in the mud mindset.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:50 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by not12listen
another note... if subaru made such a wonderful impreza, why is it that both Petter Solberg and Chris Atkinson went over to Citreon when Subaru left WRC?

Chris went where he could (not many other options), but Petter chose a 2006 Citreon XSara... Petter had the pick of the field, even an Evo was an option for him. but no, he chose a 3 year old Citreon, instead of going back with the Impreza that has let him down for YEARS.
HELLO McFly! what part of "NO LONGER IN WRC, NO LONGER SUPPORTED" do you not get? they couldn't stay with a subaru, no parts, no sponsorship.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Originally Posted by code3suby
I wish the best of luck to Ken Block, personally I'm excited that Americans are coming into WRC. Hopefully the US will get away from it's couch infront of the tv watching Nascar eating Mc Donalds mindset and into the drinking beer on a cold *** road in the rain watching cars get stupid in the mud mindset.
Some of us have already been on the side of a mountain in the rain freezing our asses off only to have the stage cancelled without seeing a single rally car and then having a ton of spectators cars towed. I still wouldn't trade that experience for any "sitting on my *** all Sunday waiting for a car to crash whilst turning left for hours on end" experience there is.

-Brian

Last edited by eastbaysubaru; 01-06-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:57 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
tin 2012, the Turbo Fiesta will be offered in FWD fashion, and 2013 the Turbo AWD Fiesta will be up for sale.
This will make me very interested in Ford again.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:07 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Ford has every intention of bringing the Fiesta to the US and, at current, when you go to their website, you can customize your Fiesta with specific options. the 2 most popular 'add-ons' selected are: Turbo, Aero Body Kit.
Where's the turbo kit option? Not available in california right now.

Oh... and what did the Pikes Peak team do with the rear torsion beam suspension on the Fiesta? Is it modified or did they stick with the torsion beam?

Last edited by chimchimm5; 01-06-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by subie OCD
Why does everyone bag on Ken Block? Lets see... so far he has supported skateboarding (tremendously), snowboarding, Subaru and now WRC. Not to mention all the people on youtube that are entertained by his videos.

Who cares if he sucks, y'all a bunch of jealous *****es! If I owned DC I would do the same ****. GFYS!
Seriously, Its one thing to say good for him for getting a shot even though hes way out of his league, thats fine. But to hear this amount of hate? Jeez WTF? ANY of you guys would jump at the chance to have someone pay for you to get a seat in WRC, he KNOWS hes in over his head SO WHAT??

As far as being a marketing decision, ****ing DUH! Of COURSE it is! What the hells the problem with that?!? If you guys havent noticed, WRC can use all the good press it can get, especially here in the US. I remember when i started watching WRC back in 1999, there were EIGHT factory teams, now theres 2. Hell I'd be happy if they gave Kanye West a seat if it would raise more interest in in WRC and rally here in the US. Even if it was just to see if he crashed into a tree and died in a fire.

Originally Posted by ryball
I thought this thread was going to be about Block getting drunk with a bunch of Mexican people.

I hope he'll be drinking with THIS Mexican if me and Greg make it back down to the Mexico WRC this year
Old 01-06-2010, 02:23 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Overbear
HELLO McFly! what part of "NO LONGER IN WRC, NO LONGER SUPPORTED" do you not get? they couldn't stay with a subaru, no parts, no sponsorship.
thanks for not reading what i had posted.

you might NOT want to estimate or guess what i've typed, and actually READ what i've typed.

they had 2 options: FORD AND CITROEN.

Petter was a driver for Ford previously. Chris, to the best of my knowledge, never has been. so, they BOTH had Ford -=OR=- Citroen as an option.

and, despite the fact that Petter still had the option of going to either Ford or Citroen on their 'Junior' teams, he chose to go with a 2006 Citroen XSara. that can easily be taken as: 'F U Subaru. you suck. I am going with a reliable and winning car, despite it being on the LACK OF POWER side versus every of car in the grid.'

so again. thank you for NOT reading my words.

----

and as per support...

XSara engine: XU10J4RS
C4 engine: EW10 S

now, i'm no expert on Citroen, engines or anything else... but, last i recall, different engine codes (ie. 7mgte VS 2jzgte) means that they have different parts and typically are NOT interchangeable. in that case, Petter went ahead without factory support as the engine in his XSara was not a current engine.

want to shove your foot into your mouth anymore?

Last edited by not12listen; 01-06-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:40 PM
VIP Member

Thumbs down

thanks for not reading what i had posted.

you might NOT want to estimate or guess what i've typed, and actually READ what i've typed.

they had 2 options: FORD AND CITROEN.

Petter was a driver for Ford previously. Chris, to the best of my knowledge, never has been. so, they BOTH had Ford -=OR=- Citroen as an option.

and, despite the fact that Petter still had the option of going to either Ford or Citroen on their 'Junior' teams, he chose to go with a 2006 Citroen XSara. that can easily be taken as: 'F U Subaru. you suck. I am going with a reliable and winning car, despite it being on the LACK OF POWER side versus every of car in the grid.'

so again. thank you for NOT reading my words.
How is that a F U to Subaru? Again, SUBARU WAS NOT AN OPTION. They were no longer contracting with Prodrive to develop the cars. Petter chose a 3 year old Citroen because he couldn't get the funding together to drive a newer car. Atkinson was in the same boat...NO FUNDING!!!

I think you need to think things through a little more before you spew this rah-tarded garbage.

-Brian
Old 01-06-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by chimchimm5
Where's the turbo kit option? Not available in california right now.

Oh... and what did the Pikes Peak team do with the rear torsion beam suspension on the Fiesta? Is it modified or did they stick with the torsion beam?
in all honesty, i do not know the changes that were made (or not) to the Fiesta Pikes Peak car. unfortunately, i don't have access to sit alongside the mechanics as they work and tweak the cars... though, i would love to.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
How is that a F U to Subaru? Again, SUBARU WAS NOT AN OPTION. They were no longer contracting with Prodrive to develop the cars. Petter chose a 3 year old Citroen because he couldn't get the funding together to drive a newer car. Atkinson was in the same boat...NO FUNDING!!!

I think you need to think things through a little more before you spew this rah-tarded garbage.

-Brian
a 2006 Subaru was as much of an option as the 2006 Citroen or 2006 Mitsubishi. and which did he go with?

Petter ran with a 3 year old car, with 3 year old technology, 3 year old engine/transmission/chassis (rebuilt i'm sure), which is why he suffered from lack of power compared to every other vehicle on the grid. but, the reason he ran with the XSara is because it has active (ie. electronic) differentials and he knew the reliability (ie. Sebastian Loeb won with it). 2007 was the first year that the FIA made active differentials illegal to use, which is why Mitsubishi left after 2006.

in order to run an older vehicle, you do not need factory support. you need $ to pay your entry fees, people, PR, replacement parts and travel expenses.

the point of factory support is financing, not parts. hence why Petter was listed as a Privateer. this made him eligible to contest for the Driver's title, but NOT the Manufacturer's title.

the average price of running a 2 car team in WRC is roughly $50 Million. that is why factory support is such a big thing, but again, it isn't required in order to try for the Driver's title.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:16 PM
VIP Member

I understand where you're coming from, but I think one other reason for going with the Xsara was that Citroen was still active in the WRC and parts for the older car may have been easier to obtain. I'm not sure what Prodrive's relationship is with Subarus now and am not sure if they'd be able, or willing, to provide replacement parts for a 3 year old WRC car. The winning heritage of the Xsara helped make the decision a bit easier I'm sure, but ultimately I don't think it was a FU to Subaru.

-Brian
Old 01-06-2010, 03:21 PM

Car Info: WRB '08 WRX 5 Door
i think the fiestas are hidious though...
Old 01-06-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
I understand where you're coming from, but I think one other reason for going with the Xsara was that Citroen was still active in the WRC and parts for the older car may have been easier to obtain. I'm not sure what Prodrive's relationship is with Subarus now and am not sure if they'd be able, or willing, to provide replacement parts for a 3 year old WRC car. The winning heritage of the Xsara helped make the decision a bit easier I'm sure, but ultimately I don't think it was a FU to Subaru.

-Brian
i'd be more than happy to go into further detail. but, lets keep it off this thread.

so, feel free to PM me, email me or AIM me.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.

XSara engine: XU10J4RS
C4 engine: EW10 S
Im no engine code pro or anything but isnt that the engine code for the Suzuki motor that was supposed to run WRC?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 PM

Car Info: Fast
Originally Posted by subie OCD
Why does everyone bag on Ken Block? Lets see... so far he has supported skateboarding (tremendously), snowboarding, Subaru and now WRC. Not to mention all the people on youtube that are entertained by his videos.

Who cares if he sucks, y'all a bunch of jealous *****es! If I owned DC I would do the same ****. GFYS!
Originally Posted by Krinkov
Seriously, Its one thing to say good for him for getting a shot even though hes way out of his league, thats fine. But to hear this amount of hate? Jeez WTF? ANY of you guys would jump at the chance to have someone pay for you to get a seat in WRC, he KNOWS hes in over his head SO WHAT??

As far as being a marketing decision, ****ing DUH! Of COURSE it is! What the hells the problem with that?!? If you guys havent noticed, WRC can use all the good press it can get, especially here in the US. I remember when i started watching WRC back in 1999, there were EIGHT factory teams, now theres 2. Hell I'd be happy if they gave Kanye West a seat if it would raise more interest in in WRC and rally here in the US. Even if it was just to see if he crashed into a tree and died in a fire.
Two great posts. Thanks for restoring my faith in humanity...well, at least my faith in Americans that can appreciate a good thing when they see it.

Who cares if he loses?! Is it not true that it is better to try and fail than to never try? In this case trying will be a s*itload of fun!!!

Quick Reply: Ken Block... in a fiesta?