JIC coilover Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 04:38 PM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
They might be blown...

I had them do the same to me... the sound just gets worse and worse...

I would go on, but doing a search would say more...
Old 05-14-2003, 06:37 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
i was talking to someone last week and they said JIC suspension isn't very good. Not sure if he was just talking about how they break or the over all performance since everything i heard before was good. He said to look at everyone in japan because no one over there runs JIC. This is because he said they leak all the time. So maybe this is the leak he was talking about.... anyone else have any input?
Old 05-14-2003, 07:37 PM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
I have them. They do "clunk" once in a while (and make sounds similar to what you are describing, Darren), but aren't broken. Pillowballs are fine, no leaks, adjusters still work (and make a very noticable difference), etc.

I did have to re-adjust the rear spring perch this week, as it had come a LITTLE loose. Nothing radical (only a few mm), but enough that the rear springs were making a little noise.

Only other issue I've had is that both rear brakeline clips fell off (and they were installed tight at one point). Judicious use of a couple zipties on each side fixed that, and the brakeline mounting is solid again.

Overall, I'm happy with them and would definitely buy them again!
Old 05-16-2003, 09:41 AM

i've got 'em too. Your coilovers are not broken. Did you hit the top of the coilovers with the impact wrench? You're suppose to do that before installing them. I'm not sure where I read that, but it costed me 3.5 more hours and a hurt back ... but no more noises. Also you may want to check your swaybars ... i've snapped the rear-right endlink, front-left endlink and an aftermarket front sway bar (right in half).

Steve
Old 05-16-2003, 10:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: I got a couple :)
lol This brings back the DMS issue that everyone complains about and killed the DMS's, the sound is from the internals of the dampers shuddering on up and down initial strokes, specially when just moving forward or slow driving over bumps.. It is the angle and the norm on all WRX's I say.

My experience on 7 that I tested on my car is all have noises of the same nature and even my Cusco zero 2 R's have them now and then.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:00 PM

my noises were caused by a combination of things ... the broken swaybar and endlinks were also culprits.

the front coilovers are easily accessible, just open the hood and get an impact wrench with a 19mm or 21mm socket (I forgot the size) and give it a few good whacks. For the rears you might be able to getaway and use a bendy access it, but I pulled my rears off and then hit them with the wrench. I tried aimlessly to wrench by hand and all it did was rotate the coilovers ... you MUST use an impact wrench.

Even though it sounds wierd, that was how they were put on to begin with.

Steve