Issues between Capitol/Stevens Creek Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:21 AM

Car Info: 2008 Audi RS4 Ibis/Ti
Issues between Capitol/Stevens Creek Subaru

Two weeks ago I bought my 08 STi at Capitol Subaru, it was Certified Used, and I bought the extended warranty with it, so everything was covered for 6 years, 100k miles (currently has ~20k on it). The car was completely stock except for the exhaust which was a custom Apexi N1 added by the previous owner.

Right after we finished signing all of the paperwork for the sale, the sales person 'Rider' informed me that the car was missing the front drivers side floor mat and they couldn't find the other key/remote. He said he would put both of the items on a duebill that night and would get them for me ASAP. When I called back a couple days later, he informed me that he would put them on a duebill right away and have them ordered.

Shortly after that, I discovered the cut vacuum line on my engine and went to the dealer to have them inspect it. I was met by 'Rider' who told me that he still had to put the key and floor mat on a due bill, he also introduced me to a service tech there, Justin. As I talked to Justin, he said that he wouldn't be able to look at the cut line until the new key was ordered and delivered, which would be about a week from then. I asked him to let me know when the key was delivered so I could bring the car back in. On my way out, I asked 'Rider' about the floor mats and when he could have them ordered. He said that he would not be able to order be floor mats because he could only get them in full sets and "We didn't make enough money on the car".

Mid last week my car started performing really crappy, lights came on, and basically it went haywire. I took it up to Stevens Creek Subaru because they are much closer to me than Capitol (where I bought the car). They said they would take a look at it and figure out the problem, they gave me a loaner car until they figured it out.

The strange thing was that I got a call from Justin at Capitol Subaru requesting that I not let Stevens Creek work on it, not tell them that I had talked to him, and have the car towed to Capitol Subaru ASAP. There was an extreme sense of urgency that I not let Stevens Creek Subaru work on the car at all.

I get a call the next day saying that it was a bad connection on the Oxygen sensor on the intake. I took back the loaner car, and Chris, the service tech who was helping me said that because they didn't replace anything under warranty, he would have to charge me for the inspection, and the rental fee for the loaner (both would have been covered under warranty). He also told me that because their tech only spent <30minutes on it, he would split the inspection fee and only charge me $110 for the inspection and rental. I agreed to this and paid it, got my car, and it seems to work just fine now.

Today I called Capitol Subaru to make an appointment to pick up my other key(they only had one key when I bought the car, not a big deal). I set up an appointment, however I was also asked to bring the receipt for the inspection and rental with my. Justin said that he wanted me to sign a contract saying that I would not take my car to any other shop to have any work done, and in exchange, he would pay the $110 bill.

So, now I am really stuck with what is going on. I feel like I am stuck in the middle of these dealers fighting, at the same time, I feel that I am getting screwed by both of the dealers. I have tried talking to higher ups, even calling Shawn Del Grande who owns Capitol Subaru, and he just sent me back to the service department.

What would you guys recommend I do? I know I can take it to an independent shop, but I am trying to avoid paying for things that are covered by warranty because I just spent most of my money on the car.

Sorry if that was long rant, I am just really PO'd right now...
Old 06-19-2010, 11:50 AM

Car Info: Subaru Tribeca 2008
Sad story... I am very close to Stevens Creek Subaru, and I am currently looking for a '08 STI, but by reading your post I am now a little bit scared to make a deal with them or Capitol. I heard that Stevens Creek had a bad reputation, that's why I am not going to see them about the 2 '08 STI they have for sale, specially the blue one (which is a lease return).

If you have a valid extended warranty contract, why you did not threat Stevens CReek when they charged you ? I am not in US since a long time (nearly 3 years now), but this is the country of lawyer, so if you have all the wildcard in your hand, just use them !

IMHO, the paper you signed at Capitol saying that you HAVE TO go there to maintain/fix your car has no value since you have a Subaru warranty program, but maybe I am wrong...

Hope you will be able to sort this out quickly and enjoy your Sub'baby.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:51 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru WRX
^ What he said. Isn't your Subaru covered under warranty at any Subaru dealership? Why does it matter where you take it? I'd just take it to the dealer that seems the most competent and that can fix your problem.

Last edited by RiceyHot; 06-19-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:58 AM

Honestly, I don't have a major issue with the $110 I paid to Stevens Creek. The resolved the problem quickly, however I believe it should have been covered under warranty...
Old 06-19-2010, 12:17 PM

Car Info: Subaru Tribeca 2008
Originally Posted by BenSti
I bought the extended warranty with it, so everything was covered for 6 years, 100k miles (currently has ~20k on it).
if you're right on the extended warranty, everything means everything...
Old 06-19-2010, 12:37 PM

Regardless of the extended warranty, an 08 with 20k (new or used) is still covered under the original bumper to bumper warranty?

any suby dealership should have fixed for you under warranty.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:39 PM

If they don't replace any parts, does it still qualify as "Warranty Repair"?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:45 PM

yes. it's a bumper to bumper warranty. I had creaking noise coming from the C pillar when I bought my car and after a few visits Carlson subaru finally found the noise. All they did was adjust a rubber striker on the trunk hatch.

I would contact SOA.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:48 PM

Car Info: 2008 STi OBP
Only 20k miles on the car now, so you're still within the normal warranty anyway. No way you should have been charged by SC (or any Subie dealer) for fixing a bad connection on the intake as long as it's the stock intake. SC ripped you.

The stuff about Cap asking you to not have SC work on it and then asking you to sign something re: only letting Cap work on it is SHADY AS HELL. That strongly implies to me that there's something fishy with the car as-sold and they are afraid of another (legit) dealer discovering it. It reeks of cover-up.

Between that and getting screwed on the floor mat after being verbally reassured that it was being ordered, you are doing the right thing by publicizing your story. At some point, shady dealers and/or service depts need to understand that saving themselves $15 on a floor mat comes at a high cost of negative publicity (see SC Subie over the past 10 years).

I'd recommend going to Carlsen for service. I've been going up there for several years now for warranty repairs, etc and have had nothing but great service (and I have paid them $0 through 2 cars' worth of service, including a blown WRX motor). I didn't buy either car there and there's no drama like you're describing.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:16 PM

Car Info: 2009 wrx
I would stick with capitol. When my motor blew stevens creek was saying that my cat back caused it and it wasn't warranty and even though capitol knew it had been tuned and had more stuff on it took care of me. It took them a while but they really helped me out!
Old 06-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Justin you are an amateur ********, and should be working at kinkos fedex.

I've noticed a lot of younger guys at dealerships, it's like their first real job........and they really have no idea about business, or what they are actually suppose to be doing.

Thats how it is, 99% of people working at car dealers are

1) stupid 2) untrustworthy 3)liars 4)crooks.

go to carlsen, don't even bother with either of these ****bag dealers, they lost the boards support long ago. Except for the homo teabaggers who know people who work there, you won't find one positive thing said.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Car Info: wrx02
I agree. Avoid both. Signing that private dealer contract means nothing. You have extended waranty that you "paid". Why would you pay again?
Old 06-19-2010, 02:19 PM

Car Info: 2003 AW WRX - VF39
The guys at capitol are douche's. I remember bringing my WRX in to see how much I could trade it in for an STi they had just received on the lot. When they inspected my car they, they asked me to stay inside, but after a minute I thought I might as well have a smoke while they look at it. As I am walking outside, the gentlemen inspecting my car says "Oh he's going to leave his coilovers and exhaust on...that stupid bastard, I will just throw that **** onto my car". It was then that I thought it would be the right time to clear the throat loud enough to gain attention and inform him that I told the sales men that I would be removing all mods, putting back to stock before making the final trade. ;[

I usually drive to SC Subaru for oil filters and parts now, even though Capitol is literally down the street from me (about 4 blocks).
Old 06-19-2010, 02:55 PM

Car Info: wrx02
Just order parts online. I find subaruparts.com very useful. And don't have to deal with local dealers' outrageous price.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:17 PM

I am going to go up to Stevens Creek Subaru on Monday and request that they give me a refund for my $110 because the service was covered under warranty. I guess if they don't do that, I will just contact SOA.

As for Capitol, I guess my best bet is to ask them to either pay for the floor mats and keys, or I will also contact SOA.

Seems like I will be taking my car to Carlson Subaru from now on...

Quick Reply: Issues between Capitol/Stevens Creek Subaru