The Importance of Proper English (Your language pet peeves)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 02:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
this thred sux cuz i dun tok lik dat!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 06:07 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
... this is the Internet, who the hell cares? Really its not that important here, nothing said on the net is going to be remembered for life, no great world changing events are going to happen on the net(other than its creation). Just let it go, and deal with it.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:39 AM

Car Info: 2015 SWP WRX
^wah he sade
Old 08-28-2008, 07:36 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by wrxisthebest
lol

I know in person and when I need to I write using formal english, but on the forums my language usage will change because I do not need to be grammatically correct
Why do feel that you do not have to be grammatically correct when typing?

Originally Posted by Spoolin415
"more better"
It's "more betterer".

Originally Posted by Overbear
... this is the Internet, who the hell cares? Really its not that important here, nothing said on the net is going to be remembered for life, no great world changing events are going to happen on the net(other than its creation). Just let it go, and deal with it.
I agree that this is only Teh Intarwebs, but what I have noticed in my customer base is those folks that frequently use forums, et al, begin to speak the way they type.

Most likely, nothing either you or say will be recorded in the great annals of history, yet we still speak properly.

Effective communication is paramount in life.
You may know everything, but if you can't convey your thoughts/ideas clearly/effectively to others, it's worse than not speaking/typing at all.

If your spoken & written word is ****ing mess, at best no one will want to listen or read what you're saying.
At worst, they'll think you're a ****ing moron.

Learn how to properly diagram a sentence for fun and profit!
Old 08-28-2008, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by subi4justin
^wah he sade
Taking things to the other extreme is also quite ignorant.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Dude, your AV busts me up every time I see it. It looks like your trying to drop a duce in your shorts.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:58 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by Overbear
Dude, your AV busts me up every time I see it. It looks like your trying to drop a duce in your shorts.
Only Marines make poopy in their drawers.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:25 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
If I have to read a post twice because it looks like crap, I just skip it.

If you can't spell it write on the internet, then you probably couldn't spell it in the first place.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:35 AM

Car Info: nothing
affect/effect
Old 08-28-2008, 09:45 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX
I HATE when people say "mines." That is MINES...ugh...really gets me. well maybe you can use it when you're saying land mines or something

its also annoying when peope get two, too and to messed up
they're their and there
your and you're

now, how many of you guys can use those properly in a sentence?
Old 08-28-2008, 09:49 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by PenguinPrincess
I HATE when people say "mines." That is MINES...ugh...really gets me. well maybe you can use it when you're saying land mines or something

its also annoying when peope get two, too and to messed up
they're their and there
your and you're

now, how many of you guys can use those properly in a sentence?
want to see mines

Last edited by sigma pi; 08-28-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:15 AM

I understand that this is an internet forum, and that people are in a hurry to get their point across, be the first one to respond to a thread (only to post "1st"), etc. I get that. I'm not expecting Winston Churchill-like prose here. If you want to leave out an apostrophe here or there, want to substitute "ur" for "your," fine. I assume you?re doing so to save time.

What I do have a problem with, though, is when people confuse ?to,? ?too,? and ?two,? or ?their,? ?there,? and ?they?re.? Making those mistakes doesn?t save any time, and makes me wonder whether you actually know the difference.

While some of you may think that your posts on I-club may not be looked at by an employer, and might not effect your future employment, there is a possibility that it may. For those of you who don?t already know, employers are searching Facebook to evaluate applicants. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1734920.shtml It doesn?t seem too far-fetched to think they might start searching your username in Google to see what comes up as well.
________
Toyota glanza v

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:36 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
"more better"
i can has speaking mo betta now? mines english mo betta now
Old 08-28-2008, 11:04 AM

Car Info: 08 WBP STI
I was reading a WSJ article that mentioned in the next 20-30 years, there will be more non-native English speakers than native ones. Chinglish and all variants thereof will become the new defacto standard, with all the dropped 'the', 'and', 'an', and 'of', and anything that are considered superfluous.
The English language will start to mutate, so I think we all better get used to it.

My pet peeve is not having to read through grammatically incorrect crap, it's when somebody doesn't use proper punctuation and makes a 150 word run on sentence with no breaks kind of like this sentence i'm not really sure why they do it I mean I can understand if you are lazy but the enter key is just right there where your right pinky should go i mean seriously or maybe thats srsly 4realz kthxbye oops forgot to put a lolz in there too haha hmmm maybe a smiley is in order for this crazy sentence too k here it iz i know you liked that extra use of a z instead of an s cuz im cool like that
Old 08-28-2008, 11:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Originally Posted by gsxrex
I was reading a WSJ article that mentioned in the next 20-30 years, there will be more non-native English speakers than native ones. Chinglish and all variants thereof will become the new defacto standard, with all the dropped 'the', 'and', 'an', and 'of', and anything that are considered superfluous.
The English language will start to mutate, so I think we all better get used to it.

My pet peeve is not having to read through grammatically incorrect crap, it's when somebody doesn't use proper punctuation and makes a 150 word run on sentence with no breaks kind of like this sentence i'm not really sure why they do it I mean I can understand if you are lazy but the enter key is just right there where your right pinky should go i mean seriously or maybe thats srsly 4realz kthxbye oops forgot to put a lolz in there too haha hmmm maybe a smiley is in order for this crazy sentence too k here it iz i know you liked that extra use of a z instead of an s cuz im cool like that

This, I would have to say is my pet peeve as well. Punctuation is important regardless of which language (or verbal trash such as 1337 speak) you are attempting to speak in.

edit: Also, one thing I have noticed is that I-club is not even remotely close to being as bad as forums that are video game oriented, when it comes to this subject.

Last edited by GotBoost?; 08-28-2008 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: The Importance of Proper English (Your language pet peeves)