I need some help with buying a "new" car, Mini Cooper inside:

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Exclamation I need some help with buying a "new" car, Mini Cooper inside:

My wife was recently in a car accident (which wasn't her fault)... She was T-boned on the pass side which basically totaled her 300M. Her current car is LOADED with every single option that was available and the difference in price could mean the difference between it being totaled or be repairable. Her car was hit right in the center of the side, right between both doors which means the whole side basically needs to be replaced... Anyway, we're looking to buy her a new car with the insurance money (if they total it, which I'm pretty sure they will).

She REALLY wants a Mini Cooper, preferably NOT a "S" model because she doesn't want to use premium gas, but I'm not exactly sure if the regular model takes low or high grade (anyone know?). She is DETERMINED to find a white one... She doesn't care for any other color and is being REALLY picky about it for some reason... So basically the car has to be white, otherwise she wont want it.

Here's a craigslist ad of a nice looking cooper with decent miles in the exact trim that she wants (in terms of exterior). I'd rather have the black or red interior, but that weird beige color is ok by her. I wanted to see what you guys thought about it... Is it a good price? Decent?

Anyone who has cooper insight, can you PLEASE shed some light onto this cooper quest? Do the coopers have any weird issues that we should be aware of? For example, do they have issues with their 5speeds like the Subaru 5speed does? You know, pretty big things like that... I always liked Mini's, but I don't know too much about them, which brings me to my next question... I thought all Mini's were FWD? This ad says that this car is RWD, but I'm pretty damn sure that it's a mistake because if they were RWD I'm sure that they'd have a way bigger aftermarket following since they would handle really great, and as I was aware, the Mini's handled really well for being FWD... Anyone know?

Here's the craigslist ad:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/1764064931.html

Anyone who knows a bit about these cars, can you please chime in and help us because this is a BIG purchase (And thanks to BAM and all the money that I make from that meet, I'll be able to afford it!!! *Evil laugh* ) and we just bought a house so we are looking for the best option for the money. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals,

D-
Old 05-28-2010, 04:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
Honestly the only way to know: Go look at some at the dealership
Old 05-28-2010, 04:40 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
They're FWD and the one in the ad you posted is a Cooper S which at that time was supercharged. Fun cars, my girlfriend has one. The 6-speed is great. Price seems reasonable.

You may want to have her build one online to find out what they're available with so she can get a better idea of what she wants in a used one.

Last edited by SolSurferX; 05-28-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:52 PM

Car Info: 2006 sti
if her car is the go everywere car get the S model.trying to pull the grapevine or tahoe mtns is a nightmare with the standard motor
Old 05-28-2010, 04:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
You'll be amazed at how much leg room they have for the driver Daniel. I'm 6'4" and had loads of room..I fit better in a mini than I do in a Subaru..those seats slide way back, they even might fit a 6'6" ogre like you.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:58 PM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by glenspen
You'll be amazed at how much leg room they have for the driver Daniel. I'm 6'4" and had loads of room..I fit better in a mini than I do in a Subaru..those seats slide way back, they even might fit a 6'6" ogre like you.
You're in luck. I know a 6'8" guy who has one. :whoa:
Old 05-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Super charged eh? I know what that means... More fun = more gas, and that's specifically what we wanted to avoid, so it looks like the one in the ad is out of the question.

She only uses the car to commute to work and drive on bay area freeways... If we ever take a trip to the mountains or anything like that we're going to be using my STi because she's a bad driver and I don't trust her on mountain roads, so basically this would be a commuter car and there's NO need for the more powerful engine because it will NEVER be put to use, and the money involved in getting the higher end motor would just be wasted because she'd only be commuting.

We've been to dealerships and know how much the new ones cost and all that jazz... I know they are roomy and that's def a HUGE (tall?) plus!

Thanks for the info,

Daniel
Old 05-28-2010, 05:55 PM

Car Info: wrx02
Man! She is your wife alright. Careful you two.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:02 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
The Cooper was always interesting to me, but not enough to buy one.

You check out a Golf TDI yet?
Old 05-28-2010, 06:30 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
Originally Posted by brucelee
Super charged eh? I know what that means... More fun = more gas, and that's specifically what we wanted to avoid, so it looks like the one in the ad is out of the question.
Up to '06 they are supercharged, '07 up (BMW-era) are turbo'd.

As far as MPG, the Cooper S is 30+mpg hwy....
Old 05-28-2010, 06:30 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
the two people i know had mini's crashed them and none of them had good results....first one was a family friend. well i met his dad shortly after this happened he and 3 passenger died
the other was a friend a mine's ex-wife, she was hospitalized for several weeks...i would honestly stay away from a cooper even though i like them
Old 05-28-2010, 11:42 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
I have a 04 cooper s as a daily driver and I love it. It's a fun car and I get about 29-30mpg mostly highway but with some city driving.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:52 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
The standaard cooper takes 91oct as well fyi. Try to get an 07+ as there is a huge difference in driveability I think. But it may not matter to her. Basically has no power leaving a stop light. I mean none. Damn thing takes forever to get going. Handles great too.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:17 AM

Car Info: 07 black piggy STI, 1996 Integra LS
I've actually driven an 04 Cooper, and the 09 Cooper S. The Cooper is great fun, but in all honesty, the standard model Cooper does not compare to the Cooper S. I actually learned manual on my 09 Cooper S about a year back, one of the funnest cars I've ever driven. Since she didn't like driving very much, it was basically my daily driver for a good 6 months. The 6 speed on the 07+ models are amazingly smooth, easy to drive, comfortable, a great compromise between daily driving and spirited driving. Besides the obvious tiny backseats and trunk space, it's surprisingly spacious in the front and has very good headroom. The brakes are A+, but most likely due to the size and weight of the car. Interior wise, the 04 is not so different, but it just doesn't have the spirit of the S. It feel's like the small car that it is, while the S feels like a handful of boosted gocarty goodness. The base model is still fun, but the extra money for a Cooper S is well worth it. The turbo model does suffer from turbo lag though, its a pain sometimes but you get over it. Handles like its on rails. MPG is really not a big issue, I've gotten well over mid 30s in my girlfriends car all the time, depending on how spirited you are that day. I'm gonna say you can't go wrong with either, but the Cooper S is definitely what I'll throw my money down on.

If your wife wanted to drive an 09, just hit me up and I'm sure I can arrange her to go for a spin
Old 05-29-2010, 02:01 PM

brucelee, I got my brothers new mini s, grey w black stripes n black wheels. He borrowed the outback, and left it. Thinking of going to rip it up.

Anyways about the car, most fun to drive car out of the box there is.

honestly if she is that bad a driver and you don't trust her might want to get her something a little bigger.

if you aren't all about ripping turns and being crazy, this car is a a total waste to buy imo. Not to be a weiner.

Last edited by slow04wrx; 05-29-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: I need some help with buying a "new" car, Mini Cooper inside: