How upset would you be? (Ebay related drama, pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 08:01 PM

Car Info: 2001 BMW M5
How upset would you be? (Ebay related drama, pics!)

While roaming around Ebay I found this:

"ipod touch 16GB Subaru STI edition. GREAT SHAPE"

Oh boy.

Description reads:

Here is a lightly used (some pocket scuffs on the back but the screen looks brand new) 16GB Ipod Touch for sale. This came with my 2008 Subaru STI, and has STI emblems on the back.
Everything works perfectly, I just dont use it much.

On Nov-15-09 at 12:56:41 PST, seller added the following information:

Also included in this auction is the component Audio Video Cable so you can watch movies from your ipod on your TV or in car Stereo.

I highlighted what I thought was important and said to me: "this is a lightly used STi ipod, brand new screen, some pokcet scuffs.

Okay, I was not expecting a new ipod, but the above, maybe some dings or scuffs, ect. The guy said he didn't use it much.

I get the box in the mail. A fine bead of anticipation sweat forms on my brow.

I open to see:

Needless to say I am, displeased, to say the least. I tried contacting him with:

"Hi from a fellow STi owner. I received the ipod touch today, and was grinning ear to ear unwrapping it, nice wrap job by the way.

I was prepared for some scuffs on the back, as you stated there would be some, and probably some imperfections on the screen, seeing as it is more than a year old.

What I was not expecting was an ipod touch in the condition that this is in. I can accept the screen, you can't really tell once it is on. But the back of the ipod touch (the only thing that differentiates it from other ipods, this being the STi edition) is quite a bit more than "some pocket scuffs on the back"

The whole back is extremely scuffed, again I was trying to accept this and be happy. The deal breaker is the fact that parts of the STi logo are missing, which is not described in your auction.

I would like to return this, as it is not as described, and a far cry from GREAT SHAPE as stated in your title.

Thanks and I hope we can resolve this.

Peter"

And got:

"Well first off I'm sorry that you are not pleased with the condition. However the device works perfectly, was never dropped, and the screen is in GREAT shape. The cosmetic blemishes on the back are just that, and honestly I have never seen a 1.5 yr old Ipod that doesnt have similar scuffs. I truly am sorry that you are not happy with its cosmetic condition, but I do not accept returns... (as clearly indicated on the auction page) Especially I do not accept returns for cosmetic blems on an otherwise fully functional device. "Great Shape" referred to the screen and function, and the scuffs were noted in the description. Others that you were bidding against had asked for elaboration on the scuffs, which I provided with additional photos via email. My advice, if you are concerned about cosmetic issues on electronics, ask the seller a question and for better pictures before purchasing in the future... I am sorry you are not happy with the item, but there are no returns which you agreed to by bidding on the item...

- smarpinc"

This does not make me happy.

I send back:

"Thanks for the reply. It is never stated that the "great shape" only referred to the screen, but the whole device. As for the fact that you've never seen a good condition ipod, I have a 80gb ipod that is three years old and in perfect condition. As for the questions posed by other bidders, you chose not to list them on the auction, which I may also like to point out states: "Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing."

Like I said, the back is the only thing that makes this ipod special, and I would not describe this as "pocket scuffs", but perhaps "rubbed over with steel wool".

If you had put "screen in great shape, but the back looks like it was used for skeeball, and by the way, the STi logo is rubbed off." then I would accept that there are no returns. But this is a situation where the Paypal buyer protection comes into play.

This will fall into significantly not as described.

Thank you for your reply. I will be opening up a dispute with Paypal."

So, am I overreacting to this?

Thanks for reading!!!!!
Old 11-26-2009, 08:06 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
make sure to get a screenshot of the completed auction and save the page if possible.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:08 PM

Car Info: subaru wrx 06
You are not overreacting one bit. I would do exactly as you are, good luck.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:10 PM

Car Info: '99 RBP 2.5RS
damn thats messed up
Old 11-26-2009, 08:11 PM

Car Info: 05 Mazda 3
You're not over reacting at all. I'd be pissed. How much did you end up paying? The dispute will probably take a while. Good luck with it.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:16 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
dude get your money thats messed up. That touch isnt remotly close to beeing in good shape
Old 11-26-2009, 08:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Yeah I'd keep trying to get your money back. That's really lame and the seller knows it. Have you contacted paypal?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:25 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx sedan
yeah I would be pissed, but why wouldn't you ask to see the pic of it before buying it?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by gunmtl
yeah I would be pissed, but why wouldn't you ask to see the pic of it before buying it?
Well, It's not like the forums where items hang around until sold, and the descriptive terms like "lightly used", "GREAT SHAPE", ect, seemed to be enough. Often times on ebay you ask for better pics, more info, ect, and the auction ends before they get back to you.

On a similar note, the guy is saying that he sent pictures to other members after they asked questions about it.

GASP!

On the auction page, there are no questions, and no additional pics provided by the seller. When you ask the seller a question via ebay, it gets added down at the bottom of the page so other members can see it.

I wasn't expecting a brand new ipod, just not this sad, abused ipod.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:56 PM

Car Info: 2006 sti
i have a 5.5Yr old ipod that looks new compared to that.i would be pissed.that thing looks like it skidded across black top
Old 11-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
damn thats messed up! good luck getting your money back!!
Old 11-26-2009, 10:02 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
it was misleading a bit
you are not happy
screw him

you should have asked for more pics though
Old 11-26-2009, 10:03 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
and take the stupid sticker off your camera its not a display model its yours
Old 11-26-2009, 10:12 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
**** that guy up!
Old 11-26-2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
and take the stupid sticker off your camera its not a display model its yours

But I'm hella asian and still have all the stickers on my jvc super vhs if anyone remembers those.

And I still have those stickers on my 360 controllers that tell you how to turn it on!

Quick Reply: How upset would you be? (Ebay related drama, pics!)