Help: need cure for skin rash (on backside of hands)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 09:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
Unhappy Help: need cure for skin rash

My hands have been breaking out in rashes lately after working on cars. Does anyone get scratchy red skin on the top of the hand, not the palm ? I'm wearing gloves but it does not seem to work, the oil/gas/grime is irritating my skin.

and it stings!!
Old 02-15-2004, 11:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
I used to get the same thing, but sometimes even blisters. I don't care if this sounds ghey, but you should use a moisturizer like Curel... It owns..
Old 02-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Ash

Car Info: 02 WRX wgn full STI swap
I would say try differnet gloves. It's very common to have reactions to latex gloves... even if other parts of your body aren't sensitive to it. I use the stanley brand gloves they sell at osh that are knit with blue rubber on the palms and fingers. They breath and they make your hands tough without losing too much dexterity. They take a little getting used to though.

goodluck,

Ash
Old 02-15-2004, 11:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
Originally posted by AWD 20T
I used to get the same thing, but sometimes even blisters. I don't care if this sounds ghey, but you should use a moisturizer like Curel... It owns..

new gloves and a good moisturizer
or even hydrocortizone...
Old 02-15-2004, 11:41 AM

Car Info: '05 LGT
Originally posted by thebankman
My hands have been breaking out in rashes lately after working on cars. Does anyone get scratchy red skin on the top of the hand, not the palm ? I'm wearing gloves but it does not seem to work, the oil/gas/grime is irritating my skin.

and it stings!!
Just be glad you don't have this problem and have to do it for a living. I just started a week ago and my hands are already getting dry and red on the back and on my wrists.

What kind of gloves were you wearing? I was either not wearing gloves or wearing the blue nitrile gloves which I don't think I'm allergic to. I thought it might be the soap at the shop.

As for getting rid of the redness/dryness just use some kind of moisturizer. I've been using some since friday and it's pretty much gone. I'll see how long it lasts after work tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Nitrile would be your best bet to avoid reactions. Latex is cheap.

Wash your hands a lot, and use some sort of lotion.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:23 PM

and it stings!!
suck it up!!!!

btw I just noticed tons of scratches from thet intercooler fight earlier today.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:24 PM

If you can get some, get Protopic. It's a prescription, and is expensive, but it works. If it's too expensive, get the TAC cream (also prescription) which only costs about $5-7. It should do the job if you never had a chronic skin condition, but it is a steroid cream.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:27 PM
VIP Member

Wow that is the most serious responses I've gotten to a post ever! Haha rash sufferers unite!

Well I've used the blue gloves and those seem to work great. Also I've used the white powdered gloves and those seem to irritate a bit. Also used white unpowdered gloves and those are ok too. I feel like a wuss to have to keep putting on new gloves after one breaks and always washing hands, but it's all I can do not to get dry and red hands from the knuckles to a little past my wrists. I've been rubbing Neosporin w/ pain relief all over my hands and that makes it not itch but it takes a few days for it to clear up.

Also it doesn't help that I constantly scratch up my hands at work lifting furniture. But they would laugh at me at work if I wore gloves so that's out of the question.

Thanks for advice I'm off to moisturize now...
Old 02-15-2004, 08:59 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Wagon
If it gets really bad (when I was wrenching winter time was the worst) I would lotion my hands with curel and wear socks over my hands to bed, having that stuff soak in overnight helped a lot. BTW I would go through sometimes a box (100 count) a week at work...that combined with dry weather were the worst occurences....
Old 02-15-2004, 09:02 PM
VIP Member

I'm just glad no one made any masturbation jokes!
Old 02-15-2004, 09:09 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
yep i get the same thing whenever i work on cars. I never wear gloves but have been meaning to get a pair of those mecahnics gloves to maybe try and prevent this.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:33 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

I'm just glad no one made any masturbation jokes!
suuuure... it was from working with cars...

btw, didnt your mother tell you'd go blind?????

seriously, try this product called LIQUID GLOVES or something to that effect. you pre-apply this goopy stuff, like a lotion and it prevents grease and crap from sticking like a mothu to your skin. a simple soap and water cleans without scrubbing and stuff.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
buy some pure, natural aloe vera gel (not the commercial ****), from a health food store, put it in the fridge, and then put it on your hands.

buy some purple nitrile (not latex) gloves, and wear them instead.

Quick Reply: Help: need cure for skin rash (on backside of hands)