HELP: knocking noise on 2013 wrx

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:30 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by ddavis
You mentioned your car was stock before so I wasn't sure if you had any interest in a project car. If thats the case I vote on buying 2 cars. A cheap dependable daily driver and also a toy that you can pull out the garage and drive a few times a week for fun.
or you could just do both with one car.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:45 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Originally Posted by Overbear
or you could just do both with one car.
Ive done it both ways. The 2 car way wins out every time. Your not rushed to finish things on the weekend so you can make it to work on monday ok. And when something breaks its less stressful. I would take a cheap commuter & a 04 built wrx over a new 2015 wrx if I wanted a project to mod. If I wanted a car to stay almost stock then I would just buy something new.

Last edited by ddavis; 05-31-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:32 PM

Car Info: 2016 STI
if you have more than 12k saved, you have PLENTY to put down and get a FHA loan. In fact anyone who puts down more than 5% is wasting money and loosing out on huge tax benefits.
Too bad you'll never get an accepted offer with an FHA loan and only 5% on the table. Not even sure where you can buy a $240k anything around here, but that's another story I guess. 2 bedroom in Stockton maybe?

I've been trying to buy a house for over a year with a conventional loan and can't compete unless I put another $40-80k on the table to go above property appraisal. ~15 rejected offers and 6-7 "backup" offers. Probably need to start floating the owner $$$ in an envelope under the table; I hear that's popular.

Not sure about the tax benefits since you're paying PMI for a very long time, which isn't cheap and has gotten more expensive in the last year. Could be true, I suppose.

This is in Livermore/Castro Valley/Dublin/Pleasanton. Maybe different in other Bay Area cities.

BACK ON TOPIC -- I would keep the car since it has a brand new motor or sell it and buy an older Corolla to get around in until you buy a house.

Last edited by SkyeC; 05-31-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:58 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
I bought a nice 3bd house in Concord in 2011 for 245k. FHA, 3% down. It was difficult though, we had put in 6 or 7 offers on other homes but they all fell through for one reason or another. That price point is very competitive. Also, I'd imagine it's more difficult now since values have increased. Personally I think there's a mini real estate bubble(again)
Old 05-31-2014, 02:29 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited
Originally Posted by mittttal
Thanks for all your input guys. I really do appreciate it. At this point what would you do if you had a car in this situation? Here's what I came up with:
-trade in for 2015 wrx
-sell back to the dealer and pocket the cash until I'm ready to buy another vehicle.
-get a NA Subaru (meh...)
-get an entirely different car...like a Prius or Accord (also meh...)
If those are you choices trade in for the 2015. I love mine and I came from an 07 WRX. Mine has generated a lot of interest from prior WRX owners that thought the older models don't meet their needs anymore with families, look too childish or disliked the gas mileage. If you think you like it you'll end up loving it when you finish breaking it in and start personalizing it. Don't worry about those who say they don't like the looks, they probably wish they had one. I know I get plenty of other WRX owners rubbernecking just to get a look. Just don't settle for the CVT that dealer had if that's not what you want, see if another one has one you want or get them to do a dealer trade.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:46 PM

Car Info: '14 Wrx Hatchback
OP, I went through this 2 months ago with my 2014 WRX. It was roughly 3 weeks until I got my car back,a word of advice though DO NOT let the dealership or SOA lead you to think this is in any way your fault. Subaru is notorious for extremely cheap engine internals, my car had 8500 miles on it when my engine failed. I considered a 2015 Wrx but the car has not been out long enough to prove it's any more durable than the flimsy 07-14s, I'm looking for a clean,unmolested Evo 8/9 so I can modify my heart out without worrying about blowing the motor due to an added 40 hp. Good luck to you!
Old 05-31-2014, 06:54 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRX limited
I live in Stockton and bought my house for 225k. 2700 Sq ft. 5 bd 3bth 2 car garage in a gated community.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:09 PM

Car Info: audi
Originally Posted by damianwrb07
OP, I went through this 2 months ago with my 2014 WRX. It was roughly 3 weeks until I got my car back,a word of advice though DO NOT let the dealership or SOA lead you to think this is in any way your fault. Subaru is notorious for extremely cheap engine internals, my car had 8500 miles on it when my engine failed. I considered a 2015 Wrx but the car has not been out long enough to prove it's any more durable than the flimsy 07-14s, I'm looking for a clean,unmolested Evo 8/9 so I can modify my heart out without worrying about blowing the motor due to an added 40 hp. Good luck to you!
yeah in the end i don't really care what anyone else thinks...if the car drives good, it's good. no two ways about it. i also completely agree for the 2015, it hasn't been around long enough to provide evidence of durability or longevity.

Originally Posted by sebhockey
If those are you choices trade in for the 2015. I love mine and I came from an 07 WRX. Mine has generated a lot of interest from prior WRX owners that thought the older models don't meet their needs anymore with families, look too childish or disliked the gas mileage. If you think you like it you'll end up loving it when you finish breaking it in and start personalizing it. Don't worry about those who say they don't like the looks, they probably wish they had one. I know I get plenty of other WRX owners rubbernecking just to get a look. Just don't settle for the CVT that dealer had if that's not what you want, see if another one has one you want or get them to do a dealer trade.
yeah, I ALMOST walked away with one from the dealer i was at when this stuff was going down yesterday but that 2015 wrx they had on the lot had a CVT and that was just...not the business.

They're giving me some pretty damn good offers to upgrade to the 2015 based on the equity i have for my 2013...but i just don't know what to do
Old 05-31-2014, 10:14 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited
yeah in the end i don't really care what anyone else thinks...if the car drives good, it's good. no two ways about it. i also completely agree for the 2015, it hasn't been around long enough to provide evidence of durability or longevity.

yeah, I ALMOST walked away with one from the dealer i was at when this stuff was going down yesterday but that 2015 wrx they had on the lot had a CVT and that was just...not the business.

They're giving me some pretty damn good offers to upgrade to the 2015 based on the equity i have for my 2013...but i just don't know what to do
Do it....in all seriousness though take a step back and see if it makes sense financially, despite what the salesman says there isn't any positive equity in a car and they will likely try to pay you even less since work still has to be done on it. Get them to crunch all of the numbers for you for the car you want, not the CVT and see if they can get you one to test drive.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:00 PM

Don't do it.

1)never ever buy a first year body/engine change. Always wait one model year for them to work the bugs out.
2)the 2015 is a unknown, the motors could die just as fast
3)The car you have now will have a brand new motor in it, that means new clutch, new fluids, new everything, why give up the equity you have now for even MORE months of payments?
Old 05-31-2014, 11:35 PM

Car Info: audi
Originally Posted by sebhockey
Do it....in all seriousness though take a step back and see if it makes sense financially, despite what the salesman says there isn't any positive equity in a car and they will likely try to pay you even less since work still has to be done on it. Get them to crunch all of the numbers for you for the car you want, not the CVT and see if they can get you one to test drive.
Don't do it.

1)never ever buy a first year body/engine change. Always wait one model year for them to work the bugs out.
2)the 2015 is a unknown, the motors could die just as fast
3)The car you have now will have a brand new motor in it, that means new clutch, new fluids, new everything, why give up the equity you have now for even MORE months of payments?
two completely different opinions....

let me at least wait till i get my car back and see what happens from there.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:48 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
I found another alternative for you.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4498645914.html
Old 06-01-2014, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ddavis
I found another alternative for you.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4498645914.html
Dude! buy that, wedge in a Hybusa motor with a turbo, and I would drive the tires off that thing!
Old 06-01-2014, 10:02 AM

Car Info: Eclipse
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2015 uses the same FA engine as the brz/frs. I've seen several threads on their engine failure. Not sure about the forester, though.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:17 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Buy a Forester

Quick Reply: HELP: knocking noise on 2013 wrx