HELP: knocking noise on 2013 wrx

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:04 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Yup. My buddy spun a bearing in his LS1 motor that had just a few thousand miles on a rebuild. Nobody is immune.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:25 AM

Car Info: audi
So ended up at the dealer. Service advisor started up the car and didn't even think twice before saying "it's a rod"... although they can't fix the vehicle (or even touch it) for the next week, they're being really helpful. Got me a car to get around for my weekend. At this point, I may just trade in this vehicle for a 2015 wrx.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:31 AM

Car Info: Subaru STi Sedan '13
Originally Posted by mittttal
So ended up at the dealer. Service advisor started up the car and didn't even think twice before saying "it's a rod"... although they can't fix the vehicle (or even touch it) for the next week, they're being really helpful. Got me a car to get around for my weekend. At this point, I may just trade in this vehicle for a 2015 wrx.
Good choice. Good luck fixing the car soon what dealer are you at. The dealer I bought my car from has a pretty large shop it was called Timmons Subaru. Maybe they can help you sooner
Old 05-30-2014, 10:41 AM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
I just picked up a 2015 Wrx for daily and I love it
Old 05-30-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by oshrizak
Good choice. Good luck fixing the car soon what dealer are you at. The dealer I bought my car from has a pretty large shop it was called Timmons Subaru. Maybe they can help you sooner
I just needed to get to the closest dealer and at the moment, it happened to be Galpin motors in Santa Clarita. Almost walked away with a new wrx...too bad it was cvt.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:05 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Definitely sounds like rod knock and not entirely uncommon for the mileage. It seems the bad ones usually go out around 15k miles. Often people blame it on mods and tunes because that's also around the time most people tend to do some light mods.

The reality is that its a quality control issue from Subaru. The factory bearing clearances are inconsistent and some unlucky people end up with motors with very tight clearances and they go out with low mileage modded or stock. Others are luckier and they last just fine even with mods.

Sorry for your trouble, but at least you're under warranty and they should take care of it for you.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 05-30-2014, 05:00 PM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
Maybe your oil pick up tube was cracked and you had loss oil pressure leading to a spun rod bearing.

The joys of owning a Subaru
Old 05-31-2014, 10:42 AM

Thanks for all your input guys. I really do appreciate it. At this point what would you do if you had a car in this situation? Here's what I came up with:
-trade in for 2015 wrx
-sell back to the dealer and pocket the cash until I'm ready to buy another vehicle.
-get a NA Subaru (meh...)
-get an entirely different car...like a Prius or Accord (also meh...)
Old 05-31-2014, 10:51 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Thanks for all your input guys. I really do appreciate it. At this point what would you do if you had a car in this situation? Here's what I came up with:
-trade in for 2015 wrx
-sell back to the dealer and pocket the cash until I'm ready to buy another vehicle.
trade for 2015..
Old 05-31-2014, 11:06 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
-trade in for 2015 wrx
-push SOA to replace the motor due to a flaw, and keep the car, enjoy driving it for years to come.
-say screw it, tow it back to the bay, drop it off at RBMS, and say "build it big" (<- I vote this)
Old 05-31-2014, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
trade for 2015..
we need a thumbs down here. That pile of ugly crap does not deserve the name Subaru.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:12 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
-trade in for 2015 wrx
Are you looking for a project/toy to have fun in or just a commuter?
Old 05-31-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Overbear
-push SOA to replace the motor due to a flaw, and keep the car, enjoy driving it for years to come.
-say screw it, tow it back to the bay, drop it off at RBMS, and say "build it big" (<- I vote this)
SOA is already replacing the motor. And I need money to fund a build. I'm trying to save up for buying a house too...may not be the smartest way for me to spend my money haha. But shooot, if I had the money, it sounds like a no brainer

Originally Posted by ddavis
Are you looking for a project/toy to have fun in or just a commuter?
Is it too much to ask for both?
Old 05-31-2014, 11:28 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Is it too much to ask for both?
You mentioned your car was stock before so I wasn't sure if you had any interest in a project car. If thats the case I vote on buying 2 cars. A cheap dependable daily driver and also a toy that you can pull out the garage and drive a few times a week for fun.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:30 AM

SOA is already replacing the motor. And I need money to fund a build. I'm trying to save up for buying a house too...may not be the smartest way for me to spend my money haha. But shooot, if I had the money, it sounds like a no brainer
if you have more than 12k saved, you have PLENTY to put down and get a FHA loan. In fact anyone who puts down more than 5% is wasting money and loosing out on huge tax benefits.

Quick Reply: HELP: knocking noise on 2013 wrx