help josh decide what car to get

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:40 AM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
help josh decide what car to get

hey folks

sooo, my wife actually isnt breaking outin hives when i mention getting a another car, but i need some help and opinions....

i have narrowed the decision to the following scenerios

1. 2003/4 Evo - always wanted o
2. 2004 sti - i miss mine ALOT.ne
3. 2006/7 wrx - love the eagle eyes
4. 2002/3 wrx - good buys..
5. rs swap

here is my logic on each

1 evo - can be had for a good deal with hi miles. like the suby i can do almost all the maint on these things, and they are hoot. but what are the risks of a 7yo mitsubishi? they dont seem to age quite as well as wrx...

2 sti - also can be had for god deals, also high miles. not concerned about milage tho, motors and parts can be replaced. i am sooooo in love with the 6sp, and it is really the main reason i like the sti

3. tr - 2.5l in it already, love the front end the best outta all, and they come fairly well equiped. there are several hi mile examples out although they tend to be more expensive than the 04 sti's depending on milage. probably the only body style i would entertain a wagon.

4 bugs - i still love the classic look of the bug eye, and they can be had for cheap. some even have done a swap to the 2.5l or a 6sp. and, i can always drive it until i grenade the motor and swap in a 2.5l short block.

5 - rs swap - had one and miss it. not as much as the sti, but still quite a bit of fun. sort of a mish mash available out there in various states of tune. would be the most work paperwork wise, but worht it in the end.

i am leaning toward the 2004 sti or the 2006-7 wrx. evo's are always driven hard and hi milage ones would probably need some tlc in order to get it clean in my eyes.

so let me know what y'all think. i know asking on suby forum i should get some bias, but i am curious what those of you whom may he had one of these or even all of them think.

thanks

josh
Old 07-19-2009, 09:52 AM

Car Info: bici putas
High mileage sports cars are like playing roulette (w/a .revolver) IMO; I recommend finding any 06-07 wrx with reasonable mileage since they have a baller engine, and if you can get an sti do it! The sti drivetrain is 10000000 times better than the wrx.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Josh, to be honest, you've already had an STi, and you know what it's like and how wonderful it is, if I were you I wouldn't toy around with a WRX. I went from an 06 WRX to an 07 STi and the STi is light years ahead of the WRX.

Go with an EVO if you can handle the lancer interior and cheap feel (sort of like a slightly upgraded RS with great seats and steering wheel), otherwise stick with the STi because it's a great all around car and beats the evo in every day driving, but the EVO is a little "racier" out of the box, but nothing suspension can't fix.

If I had to choose, I'd get an STi, but if you had the choice of getting an evo IX or an STi (2006), I'd get the EVO because I already have an STi that's a year newer... lol.

Stick with the STi, it's what you know and you know we're a great community, you should know, you've been here longer then me. If you want to play around with an EVO, you can't go wrong, but you'll be missing the great support from your subie friends, but you can't go wrong with an EVO drive train/motor, you just have to worry about it not falling apart from the inside out.

Welcome back Joshy!
Old 07-19-2009, 09:58 AM

Car Info: 2015 SWP WRX
I have to agree with brucelee^

just go get yourself an STI.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:20 AM

thanks for the opinions!

yep, i lean toward te sti because of community and my knowledge of the suby.

the perspective on the reg wrx vs sti is a good one. the 6sp alone is worth it to me.

bruce, i agree on the evo. sti in stock form tend to be bullit proof, and the evo's tend to fall apart from the inside.

and knock, i also agree. that is what i have been running into with my searches. i went and looked at an 05 evo with a billion mods in reno. the car was thrashed! needed a tune, rear spoiler, a paint job, and a ton of elbow grease to get the car right. they want 19900 for it!!! i was in shock.....the car was obviously driven VERY hard and put away VERY wet. i think the subaru crowd tends to be less jdm and more focused on maintenance.

keep the opinions coming. right now i lean toward the sti or newer wrx. i just cant get over the sti drivetrain. especially living on truckee.

and keep in mind the first purchase for whatever i get is a set or rota's in 18x9.5/10. fender rolling and pulling immediatly, followed by suspension.

thanks guys

j

PS if anyone knows of sti's for a REAL good deal, please send me a pm or email or something. i dont think i can afford an 06-07. i am ok going to so cal or western states to get the right one...

Last edited by josh; 07-19-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:48 AM

STI and do not get an 04? duh??? you can get an 05-07 sti, or save like 3 grand and get a wrx (BAD IDEA) woot, the older sti's (before 37k), are an insane deal for the extra stuff like brembo n 6spd. If you really love subie better get an sti while they are still around!
Old 07-19-2009, 11:00 AM

whats wrong with the 2004s? i loved my 04 and could care less about lug patters and body changes. i can get the a-arms from a newer one.

other than that, why is an 04 a nono?

and as long as i can afford one, i will get a newer one all day long. id love to get an 06-07, but they are more expensive than some 08s!! i dont have a real high budget at the moment, and beggars cant be choosers....

j
Old 07-19-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by josh
whats wrong with the 2004s? i loved my 04 and could care less about lug patters and body changes. i can get the a-arms from a newer one.

other than that, why is an 04 a nono?

and as long as i can afford one, i will get a newer one all day long. id love to get an 06-07, but they are more expensive than some 08s!! i dont have a real high budget at the moment, and beggars cant be choosers....

j
I agree 2004 is a good car considering first model year, but I think the 05 has a lot of nice changes.

#
# 1 inch wider rear track
# revised power steering rack
# power steering fluid cooler
# stiffer steering rack mounts
# 3-point rear suspension crossmember
# aluminum rear suspension lateral links
# helical limited-slip front differential (Suretrac LSD in 2004)
# revised DCCD system
# new Yaw sensor for DCCD (part of the lateral G sensor)
# revised ABS controller

thats just some of the stuff and doesn't include any exterior/interior.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:35 AM

Car Info: 1975 Ford Pinto
talk to me about mitsu when you have a 15 year old DSM (GSX) with 150k miles on the original 4g63 and the damn thing doesnt want to die.

Of course you are going to get biased opinions asking that here. So here is one from me who has both.

If you are leaving it stock get an STi, if you are going to mod it, well the obvious choice is clear if you havn't ventured out of the Subaru forums to see what those 4g63s are doing easier and cheaper, and even that damn 4b11 as new as it is, already making easy power.

And for me, its 04-05 WRX/Sti, any other subaru just doesn't look good (except GC). Yea there i said it, some contrasting opinion on a forum you thought you weren't going to get.

You go on an EVO forum and youll be getting similar replies saying a bunch of trashed WRXs/STi. But notice when it comes to potential and power, it's really hard to argue with the 4g63. Perhaps this could be why there are a lot not taken care of. If you go with an EVO, my suggestion is to buy it from an ex-DSM owner, they most likely will know how to take care of it the right way. But be weary of young boy-racers who abused em. Like the many bugeyes the first year they came out, when AWD dumps were the latest crazy lol

The IXs are beasts though. That would be my choice for sure just as something new.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:59 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

2010 gt-r
Old 07-19-2009, 12:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
e46 m3
Old 07-19-2009, 12:29 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
996tt x50
Old 07-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
2001 Porsche GT2, best porsche of them all (Minus the Carrera GT) and one of my all time fav cars. I bet you can get a used 2000-2001 model for a good price. It'll make the STi's and EVO's look like sewing machines. Hell, it makes a 2010 GTR look slow!

The great thing is that most people think it's just a porsche, but the people into cars will stop and stare while others just think you're an old man in a mid-life crisis in his standard porsche.

Then after you have purchase it, race some ricers for pink slips and take their cars, sell the said cars for cash, and turn your GT2 into this orange beast!

After you do all that and have the car, all your problems will disappear. You'll become famous, everyone will love you, chicks will throw themselves at you, and you'll get ******** from our very own midget, Freddie!

Alright, back to reality... Get the STi and pretend like it's a Porsche GT2.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:12 PM
jic

Car Info: 98 2.5rs/94 rx7/04 mazda6/06 audi s4/12 GT-R
STi
Old 07-19-2009, 02:28 PM

the 911 turbo is awesome but unless your rich blows. a 2000 or 2001 would not only be expensive to modify (unlike sti), and I dunno how much you'd want to do on a motor that old? And when it does break a new motor would probably be insane, i'd stick with the sti unless you have 40kish

Quick Reply: help josh decide what car to get