Had a filling put in 2 days ago and now my mouth tastes like chemicals!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:52 PM
banned

Car Info: Honda RVT RC51
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
No offense...but should you really trust taking dental advise from a dude named "crazy sherm" with an avatar like that???
Old 12-03-2009, 06:12 PM

Car Info: The 4 Train
Originally Posted by crazy_sherm
Sorry to hear you're having a unpleasant dental experience. Without seeing it or being the one that placed the filling, it's difficult to determine what the cause of bad taste as there are a number of materials that can serve as temporary fillings. Do you remember if you smelled cloves when he was placing the filling? Were there several steps when he placed the filling, like he painted on a primer first? What does the filling look like? Is it chalky white? Tooth colored? What chemical would you say you taste in your mouth? Is it metallic? Like acetone? Sour? Spicy?

If it was me, and I were to place a temporary filling on a hard to reach tooth like a wisdom tooth, I would usually use either a glass ionomer or a zinc oxide-eugenol product.

Glass ionomer is a negatively charged glass particles that when set, bind to calcium in the tooth. This provides a good seal, but the material itself is not that strong so it can't hold up to long term biting on it. This material sets up pretty hard and has a feel of maybe very very fine grit sandpaper. It's usually tooth colored or a little yellow. It shouldn't taste like anything though.

Zinc oxide-eugenol is usually mixed by hand, a white powder (zinc oxide + some binding agents) and a yellow liquid (eugenol). Eugenol is a derivative of clove oil and smells very strong. This mixture provides an antibacterial temporary filling material along with sedative qualities to relieve any sensitivity from the tooth. The material takes a few hours to set, and will have the consistency of rubbery chalk. This material is quite fragile, so you really can't chew on it at all. If any eugenol gets on your tongue or gums however, it can result in a slight burning/stinging sensation. Also, if there is too much eugenol in the mixture (it's hard to get the ratios just right), then some if might not be bound and can leak out of the filling, which may be what you're tasting. Eugenol is not that water soluble, but isopropyl alcohol will clean it up pretty good. If that's what you think might be bothering you, you can take a ball of cotton and dip it in a little rubbing alcohol, then scrub the area where the filling is. Make sure to get the adjacent and opposing teeth as well. Try not to swallow any of the rubbing alcohol, it'll make you sick. Rinse your mouth out with some warm water and see if it's any better.

Good luck.

BOOM! Here's our i-club dentist! Is there anything we DON'T have here?!
And while you're at it, it sounds like you need a new dentist... Maybe Crazy Sherm can haz PM later? Or my brother has a few friends from dental school in the area and I can get contact info for you. Seriously, there are lot's of options out there, don't go to someone that sucks.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
At least it doesn't taste like jizz.
This.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:25 AM

Car Info: 4日本車
Originally Posted by danielliez
BOOM! Here's our i-club dentist! Is there anything we DON'T have here?!
Next thing, we'll be having cosmetic surgeons posting on i-club about free breast augmentation consultation.

I can just see it now. Thread title, "KRINKOV'S FREE BREAST AUGMENTATION CONSULTS!! CLICK TO FIND OUT MORE!"
Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by vodka
Next thing, we'll be having cosmetic surgeons posting on i-club about free breast augmentation consultation.

I can just see it now. Thread title, "KRINKOV'S FREE BREAST AUGMENTATION CONSULTS!! CLICK TO FIND OUT MORE!"
Sounds legit. Sign me up!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:47 AM

Car Info: 2017 Limited Edition BRZ
Originally Posted by vodka

i've thought about being a plastic surgeon! (boobies & then some - )but then i realized what i would have to deal with & decided to go towards the path of radiology instead
Old 12-04-2009, 06:58 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Wow, thanks Crazy Sherm!

It sounds like they screwed up with setting the filling properly like you said... I've had fillings done before and usually they do more to the filling then they did this last time, so I'm almost sure that they messed up while setting it and would explain the weird taste and why it fell out in less then 24 hours (I was sooo pissed). The taste has subsided a little bit but is still present and it's been well over 2 days.

I have an appt today at 9am with the same dentist (they are fixing it for free of course) and I'll let you know what they say the problem was.

Onto another question, for those of you who have had their wisdom teeth removed, I need to get my bottom ones yanked and was wondering if it would be better to be knocked out or stay awake for the procedure? I've had friends who said they totally regretted the fact that they were awake for the procedure, and that even though it cost a bit more to get knocked out, they would gladly pay for it. They said it was much, MUCH worse then getting a normal molar yanked... Something about having to break the tooth while it's still in your jaw so that they can pull it out piece by piece... They told of horrific noises, teeth breaking, and lots of trauma to the gums, jaw, and mouth overall.

What do you guys think? Should I stay awake for this? Or should I ask for the knockout gas? I'm dreading this procedure and am def not looking forward to it, so I'm def swaying towards being knocked out, especially after hearing about how awful it was from a couple friends... I thought I'd ask you guys first since my said friends are big wussies and this was years back.

I have to wait till Jan 1st for this to happen due to insurance reasons, so I have a month or so to decide. Help a brotha' out.

PS: Thanks to everyone who responded with helpful advice/suggestions. This is why BAIC rocks, no matter what your problem is, there's bound to be someone here who can help you out or at least direct you to where you can get help.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:05 AM

Car Info: 2005 forester
I think they knock everybody out... but I still heard the crunching of my teeth while I was under, But no pain. Until the dry sockets and nerve damage in my lower right quad..... still can't feel anything 14 years later.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:10 AM

Get knocked out. I got knocked out, and judging by how much pain I was in afterwards I would not want to be awake for that procedure.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:45 AM

I just got back... The dentist told me that the bad taste was due to Eugenol, just like you guys said. He removed all traces of it and put in a different type of filling which is supposed to be much stronger then the previous.

Doc gave me something called Toradol, but after reading about it online I don't think I'll be taking it... Some crazy *** side effects with that stuff! I'll just deal with the pain until they can take the two wisdom teeth out... :-/

All the bad taste is gone (thank god, it was HORRIBLE) and the tooth feels much better, and best of all, it's no longer cutting my tongue every time I make an "S" sound... The damn thing was razor sharp and was pwning my tongue, but that's all fixed now.

Lets hope I don't have anymore problems with fillings! *crosses fingers*
Old 12-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Originally Posted by brucelee
Onto another question, for those of you who have had their wisdom teeth removed, I need to get my bottom ones yanked and was wondering if it would be better to be knocked out or stay awake for the procedure? I've had friends who said they totally regretted the fact that they were awake for the procedure, and that even though it cost a bit more to get knocked out, they would gladly pay for it. They said it was much, MUCH worse then getting a normal molar yanked... Something about having to break the tooth while it's still in your jaw so that they can pull it out piece by piece... They told of horrific noises, teeth breaking, and lots of trauma to the gums, jaw, and mouth overall.

What do you guys think? Should I stay awake for this? Or should I ask for the knockout gas? I'm dreading this procedure and am def not looking forward to it, so I'm def swaying towards being knocked out, especially after hearing about how awful it was from a couple friends... I thought I'd ask you guys first since my said friends are big wussies and this was years back.
Get knocked out. The surgeon wont know how much work needs to be done until he/she starts digging in . The teeth may be impacted. You dont want to be awake for the inner mouth carnage. Plus its a trip to be woken up after the surgery and realize that you just lost a couple hours of your life. When yo do wake up you'll be a bit confused for a bit so try not to text or call anybody haha.. You also will not be able to drive no matter how ok you think you feel so dont even think about that.

Last edited by johndabrit; 12-04-2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
1) Have wisdom tooth removed
2) Problem solved
3) ????
4) Profit

I was forced by Navy doctors to remove all my wisdom teeth before my enlistment was up. I had 5, yes 5, wisdom teeth all impacted. I got knocked out and woke up high as a kite. The following 3 days sucked *** and everything tasted like blood and gause. After that, it was all good.

Last edited by Superglue WRX; 12-04-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
1) Have wisdom tooth removed
2) Problem solved
3) ????
4) Profit

I was forced by Navy doctors to remove all my wisdom teeth before my enlistment was up. I had 5, yes 5, wisdom teeth all impacted. I got knocked out and woke up high as a kite. The following 3 days sucked *** and everything tasted like blood and gause. After that, it was all good.
I'd get it pulled right now but my insurance doesn't reset until the first of the year, and I don't have enough in my insurance for this year to cover it (used half of it on other things).

My ex girlfriend had 6 wisdom teeth, and her sister friggin had 8!!! That's some freaky ****!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:21 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
8? Holy crap, where would they all fit???

I don't feel as obscure now, thanks!
Old 12-04-2009, 04:18 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
Originally Posted by brucelee

I highly recommend finding an oral surgeon who also keeps a very good anesthesiologist on staff. I went under general anesthesia for the removal of my 4 wisdom teeth, and just remember waking up as if I'd been given like 6 shots of Patron. They (as will I) recommend you have someone drive you to/from your appointment, otherwise they will call you a taxi, as you are not remotely capable of safely operating a vehicle let alone walking post-op.

I was so sick of the pure liquid diet after only the first day, but by the third day I was so ready to risk busting open my gums to chow on a grilled piece of chicken or beef. It's no fun, but there are much worse things you could have to go through.

Quick Reply: Had a filling put in 2 days ago and now my mouth tastes like chemicals!