Grad School Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 01:09 AM

Car Info: Saab 9-5
Originally posted by 04WRBsedan
Now if I can take the GMAT or GRE and pass! How difficult are these (I know only one is required and program specific) Would 2 months be enough time to study and pass?
For GMAT, a minimum 2-3 months of study and practice is probably needed. It's not hard - just math and english, but you got to be fast if you want high scores. Time is everything in the test. Practice makes you fast. A good competitive GMAT score for different schools varies, mid 500s for a state U, low 600s for avg UC and around 700 for top programs (Stanford & Cal). I believe 760 is the highest score. But again, GMAT is just one of the area addmission offices evaluate. Good MBA programs value work experienc a lot, 5+ years is quite standard.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:48 AM

Car Info: 2010 370z Roadster, 2008 Frontier CrewCab
IMO, it depends on what you eventually want to do.

Personally, I'd work a few years and then go to grad school. After I got my B.S. I immediately went to grad school, but felt very burnt out so I didn't finish. I worked for about 5 years and then went back and got my M.S. My employer paid for most of it too!
Old 02-19-2004, 08:56 AM

Car Info: 03 Wrx black sedan + 2013 BRZ
Originally posted by verc
That's far off in the future, but grad school degrees at a state school like SJSU will be cheap enough to be WELL worth your student loan even at high interest, and still go a long way. Quite frankly I have compared electrical engineering curriculum (sp?) at Chico State, SJSU, and Stanford and they are virtually the same. (I mean think about it, your program has to be accredited, whether you are a 1st or 2nd or 3rd tier university thus your academic material covered will be quite similar)

I agree that a lot of the programs are the same, but IMHO I think that given two potential canadiates one form say SJSU and one from CAL the employer will take the person from CAL. As has been mentioned before it's not really what you know but who you know. Employers see a big name college and they get caught up in all the hype. SJSU may (I said may not is) be a better school than say CAL but all the employer sees is the reputation that CAL has. That is one thing that I think is a problem with ppl, buying into the hype. Some ppl hate on state schools becasue they think they are not as good as UC's but State schools tend to have professor who are actually from industry and can give their students more real world experience, while UC professor's tend to be research oriented and tend to go off on theories that may/don't have real world value. Depends on what you want.

Jason
Old 02-19-2004, 10:42 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers

Now if I can take the GMAT or GRE and pass! How difficult are these (I know only one is required and program specific) Would 2 months be enough time to study and pass?

I'm hella dumb and only studied for 2 days. Unfortunately, I got sick on the two days before the test (when I studied), and threw up on Test day! I still got 500 something... forgot all the math and didn't study well enough.

I've heard that Caplain (sp?) and other study programs are definitely worth it if you are trying to get into a good school.
Most MBA programs will also consider your undergrad GPAs, your skin color, and other factors.

You can also download practice tests of the internet, btw. Late!

Last edited by HellaDumb; 02-19-2004 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:35 PM

Car Info: '08 GT3/'08 Cayenne Turbo/'02 WRX Sedan/'95 E36 M3
Yes sociology is a very interesting subject and the inequalities people face in our country along with the ever widening gap between the rich and poor in this wealthiest nation in the world are among the few things that caught my attention in my soc. classes. But the only stable careers available in this field seem to be Gov. Social worker and counselor careers. And these jobs seem to have a tendancy to be cut when politicians make their budgets. Have you applied your masters to this field?
actually, i have yet to apply my masters
but! i also do know that sociology has many different concentrations. the concentration you are speaking of would mainly fall into social psychology. the concentration i focused on was economic sociology with the hopes of going into management consulting... which is another area in the market that is not doing so well at present...
Old 02-19-2004, 02:42 PM

Car Info: '08 GT3/'08 Cayenne Turbo/'02 WRX Sedan/'95 E36 M3
Originally posted by HellaDumb
I'm hella dumb and only studied for 2 days. Unfortunately, I got sick on the two days before the test (when I studied), and threw up on Test day! I still got 500 something... forgot all the math and didn't study well enough.

I've heard that Caplain (sp?) and other study programs are definitely worth it if you are trying to get into a good school.
Most MBA programs will also consider your undergrad GPAs, your skin color, and other factors.

You can also download practice tests of the internet, btw. Late!
no offense to kaplan or princeton review, but having taught for kaplan, i feel that kaplan works well if you need someone else to motivate you to study. by going to the classes it forces you to look at the material... of course, kaplan and princeton review have their 'test taking tactics' that they market, but i think one can figure those out by taking a lot of practice tests
Old 02-19-2004, 05:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Hmmm...you realize that you live in the world's hotbed for biotech? Not saying that many small biotechs didn't go out of business....but there are many many many big companies around here. G'tech, Chiron, Roche...not to mention about a zeelion smaller ones. Don't give up.

I sometimes wish I still had just a BS, because it's SO easy to find a job with one in biotech around here.

Originally posted by crash n burn
I only said that because I have a bio degree and this is what it has done for me....NOTHING!! I had all kinds of things planned out and they went down the toilet, so now I'm going to have to get my masters in something else. All the companies that I did know about are either gone or have moved their research somewhere else. I don't really care anymore, though.