Got tuned at GST today

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:16 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Got tuned at GST today

Had the 2004 STI tuned at GST today.
I'd like to first say that I'm happy with the results. The throttle response is much improved and the power comes on much more consistently now.

The results were a little disappointing from a peak power level. Mike is thinking the wastegate housing might be cracked... which would explain the HP hitting the wall at 5700 RPM Dyno chart here:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/3bc8.jpg/

I'm deciding what I'm going to do

Another note, Mike did passes with my exhaust cutout both open and closed. It made zero difference in power output. I think this puts the debate on weather cat backs are just noisemakers to bed.
There's no way in hell any muffler flows better than an open cutout

Last edited by Lowend; 12-18-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:20 PM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
Weak! JK! Nice numbers considering you were on the heartbreaker, right? Also it's whether or not, not weather.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:28 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Why didn't you post the pic in the thread? GOOD GOD ITS HUGE!

Nice looking curves! Do you have a "build thread" with all your mods listed? I need to quit being lazy and get my car done.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:16 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by Lowend
Another note, Mike did passes with my exhaust cutout both open and closed. It made zero difference in power output. I think this puts the debate on weather cat backs are just noisemakers to bed.
I don't know if you can say definitively that catbacks don't make power. Wait until you fix your wastegate and do some dyno pulls then. You're probably not even hitting full boost right now based on your WHP numbers. For reference, a stock STi makes about 220-230whp on that dyno.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:50 PM

Car Info: amber lamps/fire engine/06 STi
I remember getting tuned by mike for a stage 2 wrx when I was young and naive and thought the dynograph would read 900whp. Boy was I disappointed haha. Ignore the numbers and appreciate the curve!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Overbear's Power Bottom

Originally Posted by MrMakesItRain
I remember getting tuned by mike for a stage 2 wrx when I was young and naive and thought the dynograph would read 900whp. Boy was I disappointed haha. Ignore the numbers and appreciate the curve!
what kind of numbers were you talking about? Don't know if I wanna get a tune now anytime soon...... I'm like barely stage 1 about to go stage 2 or 2.5.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:20 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
Originally Posted by Lurk
I don't know if you can say definitively that catbacks don't make power. Wait until you fix your wastegate and do some dyno pulls then. You're probably not even hitting full boost right now based on your WHP numbers. For reference, a stock STi makes about 220-230whp on that dyno.
mike said that stock ones make around 215whp but that was 2 years ago. With just catless dp i made 263hp and 301 torque
Old 12-18-2013, 10:41 PM

Car Info: 08 WRB/Gold STI. EQ Tuned, E85, 340whp 390wtq
I remember on my 08STI Mike got me 268whp & 285wtq, that was stock DP & AEM intake. Great tune.
With an OTS Cobb Stg1 tune (Base Run) & stock airbox it was 245whp & did fall off at ~5600rpm, you can see below the whp profile is similar to yours at the topend. Are you on the stock airbox?

Old 12-19-2013, 05:38 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Why would you have a cutout anyplace but right after the turbo? Kind of defeats the reason for having one if its anywhere but right after the turbo/headers(in a NA car).
Old 12-19-2013, 08:38 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
Originally Posted by East Bay STI
Weak! JK! Nice numbers considering you were on the heartbreaker, right?
Well I was going to say that even the heartbreaker usually shows 260-270 ish on a 91 octane stage 2. Mike's comments verify that it's a little down on what he expected.

But the dyno posted later in the thread kinda verifies that. Picture is worth a bunch of words or something.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:58 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
yay car stuff
Old 12-19-2013, 08:59 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
How many miles on the car? How much boost was it tuned at? And exactly what mods do you have?

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 12-19-2013, 09:07 AM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
Originally Posted by sigma pi
yay car stuff
THIS!

Old 12-19-2013, 09:13 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
I thought it was well known that a muffler alone wouldn't give any extra power. I am curious though of actual numbers with a cutout on a catless DP. I've always heard things like 30hp+ but nothing to support that claim.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:23 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Mike indicated that stock STI's generally pull ~215WHP on his dyno. Which is in line with numbers I've seen elsewhere. Again - I'm happy with the results of his tuning; the throttle response and fatness of the powerband (what you should really care about) is much improved.

Ed - The car is a 2004 STI with just over 100K miles
Engine mods are minimal
  • Grimmspeed crank pulley (non-underdrive)
  • AVO Catted Downpipe
  • Cobb after MAF tube
  • Airbox silencer eliminator
  • 255lph fuel pump

Overbear - to be honest, I wanted a noisemaker. There are lots of issues that come up with a downpipe mounted cutout that I just didn't want to deal with.

A moment more on the catback HP issue.
My car even with the problem is pulling about 35WHP more than stock. With the cutout open there were no gains. The more power you make, the more CFM your exhaust system needs to move.
Being that a stock vehicle isn't making anywhere near the exhaust CFM demands that my car is, it stands to reason that a cat back which will flow less than an open cutout will show no increase on a stockish car.
As your horsepower levels increase - the the benefits of a larger exhaust will no doubt come into play. BUT I will also note that back in my Speed Merchant days, we regularly made over 400WHP on a catted single 3" exhaust with LSx powered Camaro's

Last edited by Lowend; 12-19-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Got tuned at GST today