Good video about modifying cars and shops. BAIC should watch this!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:54 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by flat489
A big problem I always find is that people can't post up the name of the shop they are unhappy with
Just search the posters' previous posts/threads. Usually pretty easy to spot the shop

Also, people probably won't post bad reviews if they were treated nicely. For example - If a popular vendor screws up but are very apologetic/sympathetic and try to fix it (even if they can't fix it 100%) you kind of just want to move on. I've had an experience like that. Shop couldn't resolve an issue but bent over backwards in customer service and by letting me borrow their car. Little things can go a long way.

Last edited by subie OCD; 09-13-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:12 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Any swinging dick with a business permit can open a "shop". This is a good resource to use for vetting legitimate shops: Verify A License

If you type in the shop's name and it comes back with "No Records Returned" or if their BAR permit is Delinquent status, that's your first clue as to whether or not you should trust them with your car...
Old 09-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by subie OCD
Also, people probably won't post bad reviews if they were treated nicely. For example - If a popular vendor screws up but are very apologetic/sympathetic and try to fix it (even if they can't fix it 100%) you kind of just want to move on. I've had an experience like that. Shop couldn't resolve an issue but bent over backwards in customer service and by letting me borrow their car. Little things can go a long way.
As have I, which is why I still go to this shop and they were not mentioned in my previous post. All of the shops I listed owe be several thousand $$$ each. Their reaction to me asking them to warranty their work was either or . In the mean time, my new engine went bad and this shop, even without an official warranty (where 2 of the mentioned ones had it written), is taking care of it at their own loss and I'm not having to pay a dime.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:38 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
He definitely makes a lot of good points. A lot of people have very unrealistic expectations in terms of performance, parts selection, longevity, and especially costs.

The worst are the guys that try to do their own work of have their buddies thrash on the car all night before an appointment, come in and expect everything to be running right. In fact those cars usually take many more hours to diagnose, inspect, and fix any leaks and issues before it can run properly. These repairs usually end up costing about as much as it would cost to have us do the installs in the first place. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that no one can do good work on their own, but from what we see, at least 90% of cars that come in like that have some very major issues.

All of that being said, its not always the customer's fault. We've seen many cars come in from popular and reputable shops that have obvious and sometimes very major issues and mistakes. You can't blame the customer for this because they likely did their research and went with a highly recommended shop and did not receive the proper service. Of course we only get to see that side of it, but I'm sure those shops have their own side of the story as well.

At the end of the day, when you modify a car, you have to take responsibility for it and any possible outcome. The shop/mechanic/tuner can't be responsible for 100% of the aftermarket parts on the car and what the end user does with their car. Its up to you guys to take care of your cars and maintain them properly. Its also up to you to try to discover any issues early and address them right away rather than waiting for something catastrophic to happen and start pointing fingers after the fact.

To the same degree, its up to any shop to do their absolute best, check their work, take care of any mistakes ASAP, and most importantly try to educate and inform their customers.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 09-13-2012, 02:44 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
He definitely makes a lot of good points. A lot of people have very unrealistic expectations in terms of performance, parts selection, longevity, and especially costs.

The worst are the guys that try to do their own work of have their buddies thrash on the car all night before an appointment, come in and expect everything to be running right. In fact those cars usually take many more hours to diagnose, inspect, and fix any leaks and issues before it can run properly. These repairs usually end up costing about as much as it would cost to have us do the installs in the first place. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that no one can do good work on their own, but from what we see, at least 90% of cars that come in like that have some very major issues.

All of that being said, its not always the customer's fault. We've seen many cars come in from popular and reputable shops that have obvious and sometimes very major issues and mistakes. You can't blame the customer for this because they likely did their research and went with a highly recommended shop and did not receive the proper service. Of course we only get to see that side of it, but I'm sure those shops have their own side of the story as well.

At the end of the day, when you modify a car, you have to take responsibility for it and any possible outcome. The shop/mechanic/tuner can't be responsible for 100% of the aftermarket parts on the car and what the end user does with their car. Its up to you guys to take care of your cars and maintain them properly. Its also up to you to try to discover any issues early and address them right away rather than waiting for something catastrophic to happen and start pointing fingers after the fact.

To the same degree, its up to any shop to do their absolute best, check their work, take care of any mistakes ASAP, and most importantly try to educate and inform their customers.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 09-13-2012, 02:47 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Oh great, another round of SRIC vs Ed

Old 09-13-2012, 02:56 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Great video.

Cliff notes on video......Go to a reputable shop, talk to your tuner so they can manage your expectations on your build, and you get what you pay for........
Old 09-13-2012, 03:22 PM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
Great vid, thanks for sharing!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:35 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by subie OCD
Oh great, another round of SRIC vs Ed

Haha... no war here. I have many happy customers from the Sacramento area. I also have a couple people in that area who hate my guts for one reason or another. Sadly I can't make everyone happy... such is life and especially this business.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 09-13-2012, 04:50 PM

Car Info: Hybwid Bugeye on corn juice :)
^^I waited for 1 month+ for my engine build to be completed... no problems and still going strong
Old 09-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
So is 1 month a long time? My last engine took a few days over a year for a shop to build and it was bad within a month.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:46 AM

Car Info: 06 FXT 6MT, 07 STi limited SWP
Crap...I'm guilty of his point in all entirety.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 AM

Car Info: White 04 Sti
Originally Posted by flat489
A big problem I always find is that people can't post up the name of the shop they are unhappy with because fan boys will jump all over them. For someone who does not have time to go to meets I look to i-club for reviews. So when I read that someone had a bad experience at so and so shop but they wont say the shop name it does nothing for me. So in the end all i read are positive reviews and unless I go and pay money for something to be done I dont know the real truth.

I mean i can say I didnt have the best experience at Garage1 recently and I will post a review up shortly
Just for some clarification on the shop that made the mistakes on my car. Even though the mechanics made the mistakes, the shop's owner/customer service was very appologetic and bent backwards to fix them. I just hope they got their mechanics more training or got them to pay more attention to details after that.