good mechanic for inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 12:01 AM

Car Info: '06 OBS Special Edition
Cool. Still waiting for the car to be cleaned up, so I haven't been able to test it and inspect it yet. Got an offer for my current car waiting, so it would be nice to get this all wrapped up soon, if the car checks out in good condition and I can talk them down to a realistic price.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:24 PM

Looking at another possible car, but it's far away, so I'm just going on dealer pics right now while I wait to hear back. Is it me or does this wagon have a saggy butt? Carfax shows all the struts have been replaced pretty recently, but maybe the spring are a bit long in the tooth. The car lived in Maine for 7 years, so it could be pretty rusty too.

Last edited by OldGregg; 08-30-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:38 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Saggy butt is just the way it looks lol. Could just be worn shocks, but the rear tirewell is smaller than the front, so it kind of always looks that way.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:06 PM

Still looks a little heavy in the booty compared to these two. Think I'll keep it as a 'maybe if others don't work out' option.

Really want that special edition outback sport [first pic]. I like those Baja wheels. Just need to work on the price and wait for my dad to get back from vacation because he still has the title for my golf. Never dealt with a dealer before, so I'm not sure how much they're willing to negotiate. They list it at $9999 but I want to get it down in the 7000s.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:52 PM

so the impreza that i was waiting for to go through inspection, did so and failed supposedly, so that car isn't around anymore. That's ok though because soon after that a 2006 special edition outback sport showed up on craigslist with 85k miles on it. checking that out on sunday. it's in SF though, and my options are limited as far as getting an inspection done that day. there are some shops open though, it seems.

would be nice if i would have been able to get it and drive down to BAM, but i have to work later in the day. :[
Old 09-19-2016, 11:22 PM

I made an offer on the car and I should hopefully be driving it home tomorrow. Since it was a Sunday, I could only take it to a Goodyear Tire center for their free inspection. They said the struts were due for replacement but that was pretty much it. I'll probably take it in to Mann Engineering for their inspection as well.

The only thing that kinda worried me when driving the car was that there was some sort of high squeal sound under hard acceleration. I'll be getting the full maintenance history with the car but the carfax said drive belts were replaced, so maybe they weren't tensioned after breakin. Some threads I've seen with this problem have also said the exhaust was the cause.

Either way, overall, this car was well taken care of and very lightly driven throughout it's life. The brakes and tires [Goodyear Assurance TripleTred] are in great condition. The interior is insanely clean. It's the special edition so it has the better sound system. Just need a new head unit for bluetooth... and tint... and better wheels cause the stock ones are pretty corroded.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:15 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Squeal during acceleration could be bad. If it is loud, could be water pump worst case or PS pump. PS pump still not cheap, but is the lesser of the two. Hopefully it is neither.

Belt whine would not really be noticeable from inside usually, unless it was a bad pulley or tensioner, which has happened to me.

Looks pretty clean though.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:57 PM

It's more of a whistle I guess. Hard to remember the specific sound a few days later and I'm still waiting to pick it up. Seller said it'd been like that for a while. I plan on doing the timing belt, water pump and 90k service all together next year with my tax return. Hopefully I don't need to do it sooner.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:38 PM

got the dealer and SF parking decals removed with some heat.

installed a Pioneer FH-X720BT double din unit, for bluetooth, aux, usb. nice that you can make it color match the interior button lighting.

got all windows but the windshield tinted. kinda wish i'd gone darker with the front two but it's legal.

decided to plastidip the wheels because they're pretty ugly and corroded. i like the black look. keeping an eye out for some 16" oem replacements. missed out on some '05 wrx wheels because i was broke at the time. would have been perfect.

love the car so far. next thing i'll be buying is a gates timing belt kit and oem water pump+gasket to have that peace of mind. 86k miles on the engine, but 10 years old...
oh yea, and the window washer fluid pump. failed to check that and it's inoperable. unless it's just the fuse.

Last edited by OldGregg; 10-03-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:08 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

It ISN'T legal lol. No tint is allowed on the front windows at all. I've had mine done on all my cars for years and even been pulled over though and never had one cop mention it. As long as they can see in easily, they won't complain.

Looks clean.

Last edited by 04GG; 10-04-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by 04GG
It ISN'T legal lol. No tint is allowed on the front windows at all. I've had mine done on all my cars for years and even been pulled over though and never had one cop mention it. As long as they can see in easily, they won't complain.

Looks clean.
Correct, and same with me. Might help that I drop the windows and put the keys on the dash when stopped. Not to hide the tint, but to show that I am not hiding and give the officer a clear view of the interior.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:24 AM

They must have changed the law recently because i made sure to look it up before doing it and all the sources said they allow you to tint if it still lets in 70% of light.

California Car Window Tint Laws (2016)
California 2015/2016 Tint Laws
CA Codes (veh:26700-26712)

Last edited by OldGregg; 10-04-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:30 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

70% is only legal if it came from the factory like that.

Interesting looks like they made 70% allowable for this reason now (because factory is 70%), basically reworded it to allow it.

Last edited by 04GG; 10-04-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:46 AM

stupid laws
Old 10-04-2016, 04:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by OldGregg
They must have changed the law recently because i made sure to look it up before doing it and all the sources said they allow you to tint if it still lets in 70% of light.

California Car Window Tint Laws (2016)
California 2015/2016 Tint Laws
CA Codes (veh:26700-26712)

Thing is that most people do not realize, is that the normal "clear" windows are already tinted and have UV filters. So they block a percentage already even though they look clear. Add tint to that and it's very hard to still be at 70% penetration.

Quick Reply: good mechanic for inspection?