GC8 KYB front, WRX KYB rear on wagon

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 01:55 PM

GC8 KYB front, WRX KYB rear on wagon

Hi, since I would love to have some Bay Area shop recommendations, I want to post this here too along with the posting in "Suspension". Thanks!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, I have ordered a pair of GC8 fronts, part number 734006 and 734007 and WRX rears, 734306, 734307 along with Eibach Pro springs for wagons. The Eibach box says it will drop my wagon 1" all around.
I have 17" ROTA Battle, with an offset of 48 and have Ventis 235/40/17 wrapped around them. (The Ventus tires, eventhough it's 235, seems to be narrower than some of the 225s I've seen).

So I guess I will let you guys know if it will rub after the suspension upgrade. I hope not.

Also, in the East Bay, other than MPJPerformance, where else would you take your car in for the work? I like the guys at MPJ, but they don't do alignments. I'd like to do all this work all in one place.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Old 08-03-2004, 02:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
I just had my alignment done at Auto Innovations in Milpitas yesterday. They are GREAT guys with an UNBELIEVABLE price. I payed $60 for the alighnment and they even let me chose my camber in the front when most other places I asked wanted to charge me extra for that. I believe they do installs as well so they may be your one-stop-shop.

-Chris

http://www.autoinnovations.com/ is their web site.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:22 PM

Car Info: 98RS - Pretty Blue
Why gc8s for the fronts? Let us know how it goes
Old 08-03-2004, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ilmaestro
Why gc8s for the fronts? Let us know how it goes

Because *I thought* I read somewhere on this board that the WRX fronts were designed for the sedan and if put on the wagon, I'd have camber issues. Is this not the case? Any wagon owners have the WRX fronts on their wagons and loving it? Please share your thoughts. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:35 PM

Smile

Thanks a lot bassplayrr, I called them up and you are right, killa prices. Now all I have to do is wait for some more insights from the great folks in the Bay Area and then I will order my stuff.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:04 PM

Car Info: 98RS - Pretty Blue
Originally Posted by macao_friend
Because *I thought* I read somewhere on this board that the WRX fronts were designed for the sedan and if put on the wagon, I'd have camber issues. Is this not the case? Any wagon owners have the WRX fronts on their wagons and loving it? Please share your thoughts. Thanks.
I have no idea I was just curious.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Another recommendation for Auto Innovations, but if you get camber bolts in the rear, it's $100.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by mexicanpizza
Another recommendation for Auto Innovations, but if you get camber bolts in the rear, it's $100.
Good point M. Pizza, I forgot to mention that. These guys really are cool though. Originally I thought I had been told $70 over the phone for an alignment, but when I got in Orlando only charged me $60 even after I told him the dude on the phone told me $70. Most shops would just charge the higher quote. Even though I live way out in Antioch I won't take any of my cars anywhere else.

-Chris
Old 08-03-2004, 07:26 PM

Camber bolts in the rear. Is that a neccessity for KYB/AGX air shocks on a wagon? BTW, thanks for all of your inputs thus far!!

Regards.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:10 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
In your case, I'd get rear camber bolts so you can adjust and avoid rubbing.

By the way, is your car a new age wagon or a GF8?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:17 AM

Mine is a 2002 WRX wagon. If the bolts can help avoid rubbing, then I am definitely getting them since I don't want to roll the fenders and I do have occasional passengers in the rear.

I guess I have another question now, with more negative camber, that should solve the tire hitting the fender, but will the inner tire hit the springs?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:52 AM

Auto Innovation installed the suspension on my wagon yesterday. Everything went smooth, took a little less than 2 hours to install and aligned.

So far, I haven't run into any rubbing issues yet, just tested it with on/off ramps, Redwood road tested, but since it was early, there were some cars on the road, so I couldn't go too fast around the corners. I will have to give it another try at night.

The AGXs are set to 2 for stiffness at all 4 corners. .5 degree of camber up front and 1 degree camber in the rear. The drive is a lot more fun, and a lot less body roll

My tires are Hankook Ventus 235/40/17 on Rota wheels. I've heard that the Ventus, eventhough they say they are 235, are actually narrower than the 225 SO3s. Plus the profile is 40, not 45...so maybe that helped me with the rubbing issue.

The whole package costed me $840. That's from getting the parts to getting them installed and aligned.

I really like the way the car drives now, I just wish I'd done this sooner!

Thanks for all your help!!

-John
Old 08-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
John,

Good to hear everything worked out. I'm sure you're going to love the AGX setup the more you drive it.

-Soren
Old 08-12-2004, 10:53 AM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
I was considering getting 40-series tires if I got 17's at some point, but I was wondering if the ride would be too harsh... How are yours working out for you?

And congrats on the new susp. Hope you don't run into any problems.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by scoobsport98
I was considering getting 40-series tires if I got 17's at some point, but I was wondering if the ride would be too harsh... How are yours working out for you?

And congrats on the new susp. Hope you don't run into any problems.

The ride is really not too harsh. Before the suspension upgrade, the ride was almost the same as driving with stock tires. Only difference is you get a lot more grip, better cornering, but also more road noise/tire noise. But going over bumps and stuff, I didn't feel much of a difference. I drive mainly on freeways and on back roads occasionally and it's not that bad. Sure, you'd feel the bumps a little bit more, but all in all, I really think it is worth it.

After the suspension upgrade, the ride is a bit bumpier. But still, to me, good enough to be a daily driver. Plus it put a smile on my face from ear to ear after each and every turn

Quick Reply: GC8 KYB front, WRX KYB rear on wagon