Function over Fashion

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 11:16 AM

Car Info: 2002 Aspen WRX RIP:2003 WRB Wrx
Function over Fashion

I see way too many import guys that go crazy over making their car "look like its fast" that actually making it fast. Almost every import guy I talk to always agree's with me, but I really think we all need to step back and really look at what parts we have on our cars, and ask "Did that part I put on my car help performance? Or did it help me better fit the image of a import enthusiast?". I'm gonna post what things I think are important, and I think the best way to sum up what we should always ask when we put a part or wheel or body kit is "Is this for funtionality of fashion?".

Wheels: Everyone likes a nice set of wheels on their ride, but this can make or break your performance. The smaller the the less rotating mass=shorter gear ratio's and better acceleration. The same is also for big rims but exactly opposite taller ratio's and more rotating mass= slower acceleration. My personal preference (just MY preference) is to have a wheel just big enough to clear the brakes. The reason for the whole 18"+ wheels on civics was to emmulate the whole huge wheels on touring cars that have 19"+ wheels, but you also have to think that those wheels are clearing 17" brakes!!

Performance There are real companies out there that make great performance products, with tons of R&D tons of money testing different ways to extract more power out of, most of the time, a already highly tuned import performance motor (and sometimes a economy honda motor, ). But there are also a ton of companies who just make a part to look like the part that the competitor spent soo much time and effort into developing. Examples: any muffler you put on your stock civic that you have to weld on, and mostly put on just to get that "racer sound".

Body Kits I really dont see the point of these. There are a few body parts that I can understand, anything carbon fiber, and I dont mean a fiberglass hood that was layed with carbon fiber that wieghs about 5 lbs less than a stock hood, I mean real CF parts. And if you get anything other than a hood, for gods sake paint it. I can understand front lips if you are really roadracing, not 1/4 mile racing. Also those big alluminum wings, if you dont reach over 150 mph when you finish your 1/4 or road racing, you dont need this. You most likely making yourself slower with the wing then without it because of the drag from the mass of the wing.

Interior Here is a part of the import scene that really makes me ****in crack up. I see guys with a NA import with intake and exaust and a header with like a gauge pod of like 3 or more gauges up there A-pillar. What the hell do you really need to monitor on a engine that has that little of upgrades, other than the gas gauge and the temp gauge? Real performance guys have these gauges because they are monitoring important things like Boost, A/F ratio, oil pressure, fuel pressure, all things extremely imortant to keeping your highly tuned, or highly force fed motor alive. Also the crazy lights and gauges gotta go, painting anything on your interior other than a black or grey or in taste has gotta go. Seats are great even stock, so if you get a nice aftermarket with 5 point harnesses, you better at least go to the track or drive aggresively enough to use these.

There are other things that kinda bug me but this is just the tip of the iceberg. If anyone else has anything they should point out to other import guys, post it!
Old 07-18-2005, 11:19 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
different folks, different strokes

I care not how other people spend money on their car. WHY? Because it is THEIR car.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by ucbsti
different folks, different strokes

I care not how other people spend money on their car. WHY? Because it is THEIR car.
+1 Seriously, who gives a flying **** what other people do to their car, it's their right.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:23 AM

its called style over substance...

As far as I am concerned though... I am with you. People cna do what they want to thier cars.. but im more interested in performance enhancements rather than cosmetics..

and no.. the type R sticker doesnt give you 5 more hp.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:36 AM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
I have a full body kit on my WRX. I installed it for looks only...and I am really happy with it. IMO it makes my car different from other people's cars and I think it looks much better. The majority of my mods have been for performance, but a few for asthetics and originality make my car MINE!
Old 07-18-2005, 11:42 AM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
we all subscribe to different ideas and philosophies in every aspect of life. Specifically to cars, since day one, there has always been a second or opposing school of thought. Racehorse VS. Henry Ford? Chevy VS Ford? Bikes VS Cars? Go Fast VS Look Fast is just an interpretation of the 21st century in the automotive world.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:51 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
plus...everyone wants different things from our car. How fun would it be if we all had the same personality and the same taste in cars? all the cars at the meet would be the same. Plus I know I still dr00l over a really nicely done car, whether its my style or not
Old 07-18-2005, 11:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2014 Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT
I have a hawaiian sticker on my car... it symbolizes my personality. if you wanna see it, all you have to do is watch me and you'll understand. it also makes me lose 10 HP because me and the hawaiian sticker guy are heavy
Old 07-18-2005, 11:56 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by tedshred
its called style over substance...

As far as I am concerned though... I am with you. People cna do what they want to thier cars.. but im more interested in performance enhancements rather than cosmetics..

and no.. the type R sticker doesnt give you 5 more hp.
duh.....

it gives you 10.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:00 PM

Car Info: 04 STI JAVA BLACK PEARL
PEANUT, I think like you alittle. i have the 04 sti java black with work wheels (VS-XX). Im more for performance than looks. but still want my car to look alittle different than other STI's. thats why i put the rims on. everything else i have done to the car, has been to try to improve the performance of my car. ive pretty much have upgraded everything on my car but the engine.

it is different strokes for different folks..........
Old 07-18-2005, 12:22 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Peanut,

Personally I'm with you in that almost everything on my car is there purely for function/performance. I have to admit, however, that there are a couple of pieces I changed (smoked tail lights, blacked out headlights, removed orange repeaters) simply because I didn't like how they looked in stock form. But do I have something against people with crazy rims and body kits? No. They're simply into a different side of the modding world and that's just fine by me. Its really a personal preference and every individual has the right to make their own choice.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 01:46 PM

Car Info: Silver '04 STI
I think there is a word for this type of modder:
poser

putting a hawaiian sticker on your car is cool if your hawaiian, but if not then your trying to be something your not. similar to putting race looking parts on a car thats not being raced.

but there is something to be said for trying to differentiate your car from everyone elses. theres just a fine line between the two.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:06 PM

Nothing wrong with this type of poseur.. In the motorcycle world, we call them squids.

Some people buy things to get attention.. Some people buy things for thier practicality. And then there are degrees.

In the end its better than being the other type of squid.
Squid n. 1. A motorcyclist who rides around showing off doing stupid motorcycle tricks without any regard for the safety of others. 2. A motorcyclist who rides around without proper safety gear. 3. A motorcyclist who constantly pushes the limits of thier ability and rides over thier heads. This callous type of rider has no regard for thier own safety or that of others. 4. A combination of any of the former definitions.

and of course 5. A riders who isnt interested in learning to handle thier performance vehicle, instead opting for add on modifications that make the bike look like it is owned or ridden by a competent rider. These type of squids can commonly be seen on the gas in a straight line. More often than not, they can be seen in the middle of a corner, where they essentually park it because they are unable to negotiate corner entry exit speed.

enjoy.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:35 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX bloo
there's a reason we all don't dress in exactly the same clothes, color, etc that has nothing to do function or fashion....

While i don't necessarily disagree with what you have written (op ; nor do i necessarily agree), I am +1 for to each their own.

We might think, for example, that a skirt looks great on one girl, but horrible on another. That's one thing.

It's wholly another decision for those girls themselves what they feel looks good on them, or whether they even care. If there's a really ugly girl in a too short skirt... I don't have to keep staring at her.

End of the day: not my money. Yes it can turn the community and negative effects, etc... but I look after myself and be smart... i can try to turn a positive effect as well. Poser wants to pose, that's fine... It's his car, and after a few minutes or whatever, I wont have to be looking at it. I might not agree with it, but that doesn't matter much. Gas prices notwithstanding, I don't need to put someone down if I already know I've got a better/faster/nicer/whatevererererr car... self-confidence.

Don't hate the poser, hate the ... uh... poser part.... manufacturer...yeah. =P =)
Old 07-18-2005, 02:41 PM

Car Info: BMW Z3 3.0
Two words

Carbon Fiber Stickers
I saw a whole dashboard laminated done with carbon fiber stickers

Quick Reply: Function over Fashion