FB20 Owners here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 11:44 AM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
FB20 Owners here?

i know there's already a facebook usergroup for it, but I'm curious to know if there's any other FB20 owners in here in BAIC.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:58 PM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru XV (Crosstrek)
I drive a Subaru XV Crosstrek with an FB20. Not the most powerful engine ever, but it's fuel efficient and sufficient for a daily driver. I REALLY like hitting redline on my 5MT
Old 06-13-2016, 12:10 AM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
Hey man... I thought you were in socal for some reason....
Old 06-14-2016, 01:48 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by AWDfreak
I drive a Subaru XV Crosstrek with an FB20. Not the most powerful engine ever, but it's fuel efficient and sufficient for a daily driver. I REALLY like hitting redline on my 5MT
Man I thought it was gutless even with the manual when I test drove it... my question... why is it a 5MT?

My wife's forester is a 6spd. Still gutless but it gets out of it's own way and it does pretty good on mpg. I got 32.4 last weekend... and in general I run between 26-28 consistently... not sure how she is ALWAYS around 24/25...
Old 06-14-2016, 06:22 PM
The Good Wife

Car Info: 2010 Subaru WRX
We picked up a '16 Crosstrek for i<3dirt (can't tag because it still breaks the webz) .
It's seems sufficient compared to her previous 2.5 OBS, once the CVT figures out what it wants to do.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:59 PM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru XV (Crosstrek)
Originally Posted by x002x
Hey man... I thought you were in socal for some reason....
I've been living in the South Bay my whole life (except for military service reasons i.e. training, deployments, etc). What gave you the impression I'm from SoCal?

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Man I thought it was gutless even with the manual when I test drove it... my question... why is it a 5MT?

My wife's forester is a 6spd. Still gutless but it gets out of it's own way and it does pretty good on mpg. I got 32.4 last weekend... and in general I run between 26-28 consistently... not sure how she is ALWAYS around 24/25...
I love me a manual transmission. I know the Lineartronic CVT is the superior choice, but I'm stubborn and wanted to stick (no pun intended) with having three pedals on my vehicle.

The FB20 isn't powerful, but I still consider it safe enough for merging on a freeway, just barely. Regardless, I still love the rev-happy nature of the DOHC FB20, a big improvement over the mostly-SOHC naturally-aspirated EJ engines which didn't enjoy going above 4000 RPM. And the payoff for being a "gutless" engine is better fuel economy, a tradeoff I'm willing to keep (so far).

Originally Posted by the1_thedave
We picked up a '16 Crosstrek for i<3dirt (can't tag because it still breaks the webz) .
It's seems sufficient compared to her previous 2.5 OBS, once the CVT figures out what it wants to do.
I've driven manual most of my life and I feel that CVT's are better in regard to power delivery that most conventional automatics I've driven. The best conventional automatics I've driven are Allison Automatic transmissions, which behave very well in regards to gear choice and shift timing. I've found that conventional passenger car automatic transmissions are very bad in power delivery as well as shift timing and gear choice and leave me wishing to manually change gears in total frustration.

Subaru's Lineartronic CVT felt... linear to me as their trademarked name implies. I've test driven a CVT Crosstrek Hybrid (GP chassis), a CVT Impreza (GP chassis), a HT-CVT Forester XT (SJ chassis), and an HT-CVT WRX (VA chassis) and enjoyed how there was a direct correlation between power delivery and accelerator pedal application rather than feeling the clunky, inefficient, lazy shifts of most conventional automatics.

I hate how most automatics I have to give it more gas just to downshift but consequently also apply more power than I intend due to their programmed tendency of upshifting too much and upshifting too early of an RPM. I especially hate the lack of engine braking on most conventional automatics, though that is expected of any transmission that isn't a manual.

Last edited by AWDfreak; 06-26-2016 at 10:03 PM.