Old 08-19-2010, 02:29 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRB WRX
Failed Smog, advice needed

Unfortunately my car failed the smog test today the mods are:

Cobb uppipe
Titek catted dp
Greddy Ti-c catback
Protune

I found a place that would pass it on the visual but it failed the HC PPM at idle, everything else passed though. The maximum allowed is 100 and it measured at 160. Is there anything i can do to make it go down temporarily? (change oil, air filter, high octane gas)? The car was driven 1 hour previously so the cat should of been warm. The oil does need to be changed but i didnt think that would affect the smog.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:37 PM

Car Info: Ver8 Bugeye
I have Ver8 swap (ECU and all). I faild the idle test but passed the rev test. I had Ed at EQ tune my car at idle and ipassed. Limit 100 and my first run woulld spike to 760! then a little tweak here and there and it passed at like 10. good luck
Old 08-19-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ARWilliams
I have Ver8 swap (ECU and all). I faild the idle test but passed the rev test. I had Ed at EQ tune my car at idle and ipassed. Limit 100 and my first run woulld spike to 760! then a little tweak here and there and it passed at like 10. good luck
Yeah i passed the rev test as well, im trying to avoid getting a new tune or changing the pipes.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
put on your stock downpipe, smog it, and poof all issues solved.

then if you choose put it back how it was

-Noah

Last edited by LICmotorsports; 08-19-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:26 PM

most aftermarket hi performance catted dp's will degrade much much faster over time when it comes to keeping the emissions clean. They aren't regulated like stock cats so don't expect them to help u pass emissions after several years of use.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:38 PM

Car Info: Legs.
Change the oil and plugs... run the car until it is nice and hot... I passed in an 04 wagon with 80k miles... you can do it too!
Old 08-19-2010, 03:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by tschida
Yeah i passed the rev test as well, im trying to avoid getting a new tune or changing the pipes.
What I get from your post is "The current setup didn't pass smog, I want to change nothing and have it pass smog..." The square peg doesn't fit in the triangle hole my friend...

You should have done it properly from the get-go and smogged it with the stock pipes on. IIRC, once you fail a smog test your car is classified as a "gross polluter" and you have to test annually.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
What I get from your post is "The current setup didn't pass smog, I want to change nothing and have it pass smog..." The square peg doesn't fit in the triangle hole my friend...

You should have done it properly from the get-go and smogged it with the stock pipes on. IIRC, once you fail a smog test your car is classified as a "gross polluter" and you have to test annually.
Not exactly, Im asking if there are things I could do (i.e. change oil, filter, run high octane gas) that would lower my emissions for this test, yes I can swap my pipes but if instead all I had to do was buy a few gallons of 100 octane then I would rather do that. I know of plenty of people who have passed with aftermarket cats before so I know its possible.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:54 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tschida
Not exactly, Im asking if there are things I could do (i.e. change oil, filter, run high octane gas) that would lower my emissions for this test, yes I can swap my pipes but if instead all I had to do was buy a few gallons of 100 octane then I would rather do that. I know of plenty of people who have passed with aftermarket cats before so I know its possible.
If you didn't already do so, run it hard for half an hour or so before the test. How many miles are on the cats?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:59 PM

Car Info: 2005 forester
run a few gallons of e85 with 91 mixed in! but dont get in the boost at all!!!! and fill up with gas right away after you pass? maybe? or have it re tuned at idle?
Old 08-19-2010, 04:02 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by boxerfxt
run a few gallons of e85 with 91 mixed in! but dont get in the boost at all!!!! and fill up with gas right away after you pass? maybe? or have it re tuned at idle?
Whats the theory behind that? Higher octane?
Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Whats the theory behind that? Higher octane?
Lower HC content.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:23 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
You can try adding a few gallons of 100 octane to it. It won't throw off your a/f like the Ethanol will, but will still clean up the HC. There are also a couple tweaks that can be made to the tune to help clean it up at idle.

-- Ed
Old 08-19-2010, 06:46 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I just got smogged with a whole lot more than you with flying colors. Most likely your tune is just off, unless parts aren't working correctly (fouled plugs, bad O2, etc). If it's high HC, I believe that means you're running rich.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:31 PM

Car Info: 1975 Ford Pinto
yea those mods are nothing. you should pass easy.

listen to EVO-owns-sti when it comes to mod for mod dollar for dollar

you may be misfiring at idle as well to cause the rich condition. check the wires make sure they are not arching. see whats going on while idling, osmething is making you run rich.

Quick Reply: Failed Smog, advice needed