Emergency pet hospital options

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:39 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Emergency pet hospital options

Has anyone found a place thats decent without feeling like you got bent over? I had to take my pit to one last night (campbell) because he couldnt ****. My uncles a vet in Vallejo so I was hoping to hold out till morning but I couldnt stand watching him in pain. A pain shot, catheter and xrays were about 1500$. If I couldnt pay on the spot, they were basically telling me good luck with your dog. They didnt care if he died right there from his bladder rupturing.

Theres gotta be reasonable places because thats just total bull****. I can understand paying 100-300$ over the normal vet but 1500$ doesnt make sense to insert a ****ing tube in his *****, take some xrays and give him a 50$ pain shot.

Yea Im mad bro.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
check out vsa/vms in campbell... they actually give a ****. they are still pretty pricey, but you know your pet will be cared for
Old 04-05-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by norcalbmxer4u
check out vsa/vms in campbell... they actually give a ****. they are still pretty pricey, but you know your pet will be cared for
Thats where i was at if its the one on Dell. The price and the attitude was my issue. Now Im reading yelp reviews on them. Apparently they have let some peoples pets die because of their inability to pay upfront.

I cant imagine if I didnt have the money to pay that absurd bill. I would've been depressed as **** if I had to put my dog down because it was cheaper to kill him than put a catheter in him.

Maybe its different on the other side at the daytime office but the 24 hour emergency clinic is all about the loot.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:15 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
When my dog was attacked by another dog, i took her to San jose Spary and Neuter Clinic off of 101.
San Jose Spay and Neuter
1780 old bay shore hwy, san jose, ca
(408)436-1740
Took her to the vet clinic off of aborn and white rd and they wanted 500+ dollars for a few shots and to check on the bite wound. The 500 didn't even include the stitches they recommended. Friend recommended me to San Jose Spay and Neuter and i only paid 60 dollars and he gave her some shots and bandage up the wound and said it didnt even need stitches. I would give them a call and see if they can help you out with your dog.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by xhengmanx
When my dog was attacked by another dog, i took her to San jose Spary and Neuter Clinic off of 101.
San Jose Spay and Neuter
1780 old bay shore hwy, san jose, ca
(408)436-1740
Took her to the vet clinic off of aborn and white rd and they wanted 500+ dollars for a few shots and to check on the bite wound. The 500 didn't even include the stitches they recommended. Friend recommended me to San Jose Spay and Neuter and i only paid 60 dollars and he gave her some shots and bandage up the wound and said it didnt even need stitches. I would give them a call and see if they can help you out with your dog.
Thanks, I'll definitely jot that number down for the future man. My dogs currently in Vallejo getting his surgery but a closer reasonable option would've been good too.

I just wish there was a 24hr center like that even if it had a long wait. For some reason my dog never gets sick during normal business hours.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:27 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
really sucks that you had to go so far. Best of luck to you and your dog hope the best comes out!
Old 04-05-2011, 03:32 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Check out Bishop Ranch Vet.

http://www.webvets.com/

This is the place that I use. They are Open 7 Days a week. The people there have always been really cool with my pets and me. I've had my mom's cat and a few other friends go there as well and everyone I know has come back with positive reviews. One of the doctors (Michele Dodd) even remembered information about my cat when she hadn't been back to the vet in over a year so that was pretty impressive.

They even have a coupon for a Free Office Visit for New Clients.

http://www.webvets.com/coupon.php
Old 04-05-2011, 03:32 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Adobe Animal Hospital is the best place I've found. Have been taking pets there for literally 30 years.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:42 PM

another question. Do you guys have pet insurance and if so which one? I do need to get one now that my dogs getting a little older but Im wondering if they'll cover his pre existing condition of bladder stones in the future..
Old 04-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
what was/is wrong with your Pit?
Old 04-05-2011, 04:05 PM

Car Info: '08 SpecB
I did some reality-check math before on pet insurance when I had my dog.
I looked at some plans, and pricing seemed to range a bit. I used $40/mo because of previous conditions for my dog, as a baseline.

That's $480/yr, plus $100 deductible, plus $50 vaccines, plus $ over the cap. So that ended up being $630/yr min for me.

My dog ended up having knee surgery, root canal, teeth pulled, and the onset of arthritis. Roughly about one incident every other year, made it a wash. The years that insurance didn't cover much - $630. The years that she had medical emergencies, almost $2k (insurance would have covered around $1200 -> so $800+630=$1430).
Averaging over two years would have been $2130/2 = $1065 with insurance.
Averaging over two years without insurance would have been $2150/2 = $1075.

Like I said, it was almost a wash for me.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:47 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Yeah - can't see pet insurance for dogs/cats really being a winner.

think of it this way:
If your dog has a tumor and has to have a leg removed are you going to go through with it (and put the dog through that) or are you going to put the dog down?
Is anyone going to do brain surgery on a cat?

The really expensive stuff just isn't done for house pets.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
what was/is wrong with your Pit?
bladder stones and 1 was stuck in the urethra making him unable to pee and he has a big kidney stone too. surgery was done earlier today to remove the bladder stones and we're leaving the kidney stone alone for now. going to try a diet modification and operate in 6months if its still growing.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Lowend
Adobe Animal Hospital is the best place I've found. Have been taking pets there for literally 30 years.
I'm not fond of them. My basset got his ear bitten and so I took him there. They said they could stitch it up to look normal but I told them I didn't want that. I could not afford the work for it to look good cosmetically. I told them to just cut off the hanging portion and stitch it up. I picked him up the next day and the doc said:

"So I double stitched the inside and the outside, so it'll look like normal." that was $750 and because he kept shaking his head the loose bit separated again. I brought him in and they did what I requested in the first place and it was only $250. I don't know why I'm even still a client of theirs.

I've also spoken with the owner (currently practicing there) and he is completely bass ackward in terms animal nutrition.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
damn good luck.

This thread needs dog pics

Quick Reply: Emergency pet hospital options