Electric car that blows away a Ferrari 360 Spider and a Porsche Carrera GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 12:12 PM

Electric car that blows away a Ferrari 360 Spider and a Porsche Carrera GT

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/04/tech...2_wrightspeed/
Old 05-05-2006, 12:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
I find it interesting that it has a startling exterior resemblance to an Ariel Atom. Pretty neat though! *And* it's being produced locally!
Old 05-05-2006, 12:22 PM

yup..looks like it http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/04/frames.htm
so itll be called SVM? SVM > JDM,EDM
Old 05-05-2006, 12:32 PM

Car Info: silverthorne 2000 2.5rs
I might be wrong but that IS the Atom.. maybe they just threw an electric motor in there?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:37 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Originally Posted by smokey25
I might be wrong but that IS the Atom.. maybe they just threw an electric motor in there?
You are correct.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
are you sure it IS the atom? or did they just model after it?

I like the idea, but something about an internal combustion engine makes me happy. although with oil, it cannot last forever. we need to just do this hydrogen powered cars thing.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:55 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
fuel cell cars are great in theory, but it takes a ton of enery to get pure hydrogen

Same thing with eletric cars. Imagine how much electricity it will take to charge that **** daily
Old 05-05-2006, 01:21 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
It doesn't take a "ton of energy" to create hydrogen. The main method of creating hydrogen is through electrolysis which ranges from 50% to 85% efficiency depending on which report you're leafing through. So it's not great, but it's not all that bad compared to the efficiency of plain ole internal combustion engine (Otto cycle that is...we're not talking about diesels here). It fact, compared to the the ICE, it's great! Add onto the fact that you can get a percentage of your electricity from natural and renewable resources makes the efficiency even higher. Check out Iceland... so, in summary it does NOT take a lot of energy to create hydrogen.

The problem lies in the cost of setting up the infrastructure to store and deliver hydrogen to the masses. How the hell do you distribute highly compressed and volatile hydrogen to cars sitting on highly compressed tanks? For a country of 300 million at that too....

yeah...they're still working on that part.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:29 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
nuclear powered cars>*
Old 05-05-2006, 01:35 PM

Car Info: '05 STI
I'd like to see us do this in good gradual steps. Our next focus should be on FFV to use E85. Then I'd like to see E85 powered Hybrids, and so on. Electric vehicles are a great concept, but considering the fact most of our power is still produced using coal how much better can it be?

Cool to see a performance electric though for sure.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
i wonder what the performance of a hydrogen powered car would be? hmmm

i bet if honda makes a hydrogen powered car, the ricers will still buy aem cold air intakes for them..
Old 05-05-2006, 02:15 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Originally Posted by evsoul
You can order an Atom without a drivetrain if you want.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:24 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by stevenkhau
It doesn't take a "ton of energy" to create hydrogen. The main method of creating hydrogen is through electrolysis which ranges from 50% to 85% efficiency depending on which report you're leafing through. So it's not great, but it's not all that bad compared to the efficiency of plain ole internal combustion engine (Otto cycle that is...we're not talking about diesels here). It fact, compared to the the ICE, it's great! Add onto the fact that you can get a percentage of your electricity from natural and renewable resources makes the efficiency even higher. Check out Iceland... so, in summary it does NOT take a lot of energy to create hydrogen.

The problem lies in the cost of setting up the infrastructure to store and deliver hydrogen to the masses. How the hell do you distribute highly compressed and volatile hydrogen to cars sitting on highly compressed tanks? For a country of 300 million at that too....

yeah...they're still working on that part.

I see your point, but the fact that the storage and distribution is so difficult that it will cost even more energy...which would come from fossil fuels. Hydrogen is, at best, a band-aid...because as I've said before, the second law of thermo will always get you unless you are harvesting energy directly from the sun (the more steps, the more entropy, the more waste and it can't sustain itself). Unless we genetically alter naturally occuring hydrogen producing microbes so we can farm hydrogen...now that's the holy grail in my mind.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:57 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by evsoul
did you read the article or just look at the pictures?

For starters, you get all the basic parts off the shelf, starting with a chassis. Wright found one he liked in the Ariel Atom, a blazing-fast custom British roadster.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:03 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by MVWRX
I see your point, but the fact that the storage and distribution is so difficult that it will cost even more energy...which would come from fossil fuels. Hydrogen is, at best, a band-aid...because as I've said before, the second law of thermo will always get you unless you are harvesting energy directly from the sun (the more steps, the more entropy, the more waste and it can't sustain itself). Unless we genetically alter naturally occuring hydrogen producing microbes so we can farm hydrogen...now that's the holy grail in my mind.

It is not that storage and distribution is difficult, it is that it is expensive. nor is the production of hydrogen wasteful in energy compared to what you get out of it. Cost is the main thing from having hydrogen powered cars go into mass production.

Quick Reply: Electric car that blows away a Ferrari 360 Spider and a Porsche Carrera GT