The Death of Left Foot Braking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 04:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Unit 91
Impossible.

The cost of properly training drivers is far greater than making things more and more 'idiot proof.'
True, but the problem here is that for every better system that is developed, a better idiot will appear and thwart it.

What I wonder is, what is going to happen when people start doing OTHER THINGS like they drive. I have prepared an example:

Larry: "Gee, Bob, what happened to your arm there???"
Bob: "Well, I was ripping these 2x4's on the table saw and I thought I would try updating my Facebook status and eating a salad at the same time and then BAM no more arm... See here the salad fork is stuck in my ear."

I dunno, maybe that was funnier in my head.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:17 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
stupidity all over
Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Just fact that someone would even consider this as potential legislation makes me want to move to Mexico and apply for asylum.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
Just as much as the next guy, I hate that a company could become so blind to customer safety that our govt. need to step in before they come up w/ a REAL fix to unintended acceleration.

Shame that an override is a soln only after the problem occurs, and all available gears including neutral don't do a thing for you. So as easy it is to take it out of 'D,' this lady's tesimony has me thinking something else is afoot...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...49366#35549366

Other than hope for divine intervention, what are we to do?

Last edited by boardoholic; 03-03-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: replaced old vid clip, which was from French aol :noidea:
Old 03-03-2010, 05:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Because neutral, parking brakes, and the ability to shut off the motor don't exist on Toyotas?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
The toyo have an electonic shifter. It's kind of weird, like a joystick. Point is there's no mechanical linkage from the drivers hand to the tranny.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by ipozestu
The toyo have an electonic shifter. It's kind of weird, like a joystick. Point is there's no mechanical linkage from the drivers hand to the tranny.
But it still has a neutral position (to the left, don't go up or down). I think Gagan and I discussed this before and we came to the conclusion that neither of us know whether the neutral selection or start/stop button are overridden when the throttle is depressed.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Because neutral, parking brakes, and the ability to shut off the motor isn't a skill with Toyota drivers?
fixed that for ya

Actually, if this legislation passes, I'm guessing car manufacturers will solve this electronically because it's the cheapest way to go. The ECU would be programmed to cut fuel on the e-throttle if brake is depressed. ECU might be customizable with Acess Port type stuff...

It'll be interesting to see what the manufacturers do with this. I'll bet you can't just implement "cut gas on brake" because even the slightest brake will cause fuel cut. This will make them only cut on "hard braking".... and a whole myriad of complicated scenarios arise.

But yeah, it's easier to legislate to make bad drivers safer than to make bad drivers good drivers. Our economy is built on every person, including the morons and unskilled, having full access.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
the world is gonna come to an end by 2012 at the rate how stupid ppl are getting. it is true, oh god its true
Old 03-03-2010, 06:10 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by Unit 91
Impossible.

The cost of properly training drivers is far greater than making things more and more 'idiot proof.'
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Quoted For Truth...
People don't drive in this country, they just ride.

Need to slow down? Just panic brake and pretend no one is behind you just to be safe.

Need to enter onto a freeway? Give yourself at least 4 miles to accelerate to 10mph under the posted speed limit and move into the left hand lane.

Red traffic light coming up? Be sure to give yourself at least 10,000 yards to coast in and stop at least 6 car lengths behind the other vehicles or crosswalk.

Have a turn signal? Be sure to use it no more than 4.87% of the time when turning or changing lanes; no one should know where you're going anyway.

Traffic jam? Be sure to leave 12 car lengths or more between you and the vehicle in front to ensure ample people can cut you off.

Raining outside? Multiply the above measurements by a factor of 3 and ensure your lights are of, especially if your car is silver/gray.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
I have a better idea for a device for retarded drivers

Something that forces you to signal before you are able to brake or turn the wheel into the ranch 99 parking lot.

Im sure its been said, Camry drivers suck in the first place. Along with anyone who puts a AAA sticker on the back of their car.

To me, a AAA sticker says "I will merge into you or brake for no reason"
Old 03-03-2010, 09:50 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
More tax payer dollars going to insure that darwin doesn't always win.

I mean seriously... this is TOYOTA'S issue not tax payers. It's gonna cost a fortune to push this crap through.

I am so damn tired of laws for stupid drivers that can't be enforced (different rant). You know... like turning your headlights on when it's raining... WTF... seriously.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:59 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
and its usually new cars that dont have their lights on. Since the cluster is always lit.

which is another +1 for Subaru since they shut off automatically, i dont think i even turn mine off. Theyre always on unless its an evenly lit day and i want to save .01% gas
Old 03-03-2010, 10:58 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
They should have legit drivers training instead of all this other crap. They stress the bull****, not the skills. They should take kids out to an autox track and you can't get your license until you can finish the course in a reasonable time while drinking a soda and eating chips (because this is what they will be doing after they get their license anyways).
Old 03-03-2010, 11:07 PM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
Uncle Obama is our savior.

Quick Reply: The Death of Left Foot Braking?