Dealerships, warranties and paint, oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 03:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon x2
Dealerships, warranties and paint, oh my!

I currently live in Denver, Colorado, but I'm moving to San Francisco on Tuesday. My paint is chipping and peeling like crazy, and my car only has 26,000 miles on it, so I stopped by the dealership here in Denver where I bought my car for their area representative to look at it. Mr. Area Rep told me that he would be willing repaint my hood scoop, but not my front bumper since my 800 billion rock chips were just normal "wear and tear." After some (read: LOTS OF) debating and arguing, I finally talked him into painting the bumper as well. The only catch is that they have 5 days to do it. He scheduled me for Monday, but that would mean a rushed paint job and a loooong road trip with fresh paint. So now things are getting complicated. I need to find a California Subaru dealership who would be willing to warranty my paint. Guy at the CO dealership said to find a place in CA who will look at it, have them call him, and they'll get it figured out.

There are several dealerships here who are really cool and willing to work with people, but there are also a few who are extremely anti-mods and pro-warranty-voiding. So I need to know which dealerships to stay away from and which ones are nice. In other words, if I show up at some random dealer and say "warranty my paint, now," which ones will say "your modified exhaust caused your paint to chip!!"

I'm sure you guys don't have as much of a problem with gravel, but have any of you had paint warrantied? I still can't get over how bad the front of my car looks compared to other makes of cars with twice the miles my car has. Especially considering how careful I am with my car. Anyway...help please?
Old 06-03-2004, 03:09 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
try santa cruz subaru... or carlsen subaru..

good luck
Old 06-03-2004, 03:09 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
Santa Cruz subaru is the best in the bay area IMHO... ive found them to be mod friendly as well. Phone them at 831 420 1500
Old 06-03-2004, 03:23 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

bring any and all paperwork you have to support your claims from the denver area rep...
Old 06-03-2004, 03:44 PM

Car Info: 1942 ford pinto
lol carlsen and santa cruz must be losing so much money since i club sends everyone with warranty troubles there haha..

atleast they get some business from us!
Old 06-03-2004, 03:56 PM
VIP Member

There is no paper work, but the service manager is willing to work with a CA dealership to help me. If they need any information, it should be taken care of. Thanks for all of your help!
Old 06-03-2004, 04:22 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by soggynuts
lol carlsen and santa cruz must be losing so much money since i club sends everyone with warranty troubles there haha..

atleast they get some business from us!
they get paid from SOA.

SOA is the one that pays the bills. granted, from the toyota stories i heard, they dont get paid their full shop labor rates.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:25 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
santa cruz sucks now from what I hear...
Old 06-03-2004, 05:05 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Mrs. Solo
Out of all the local dealerships, they tried charging me the most and quoted me the least amount for my trade-in. But they seemed really nice
Sad to say I ended buying my WRX from Stevens Creek. Oh well..

lots of people buy from stevens creek, they are one of the highest volume subie dealers in the nation... therefore they can afford to make less on each car they sell. they still suck, i will do my best to ward anyone and everyone away from them
Old 06-04-2004, 07:01 AM
VIP Member

I tried to get him to write it out for me, but he insisted that he'll just talk to the dealership in CA. The rep was a jerk, but the service manager was cool. I'll probably go over there and hassle him again, but I doubt I'll get anything in writing. He seems lazy like that. Whatever, as long as I get my car fixed, I don't really care.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:20 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
You can rebuild engines... but you can't repaint your own bumper?!?!

Lame...

LOL. Nah, just try carlsen, it's about 25 mins south of SF. I highly doubt that the service guy will actually vouch for you though once your're 1000 miles away.

-Gagan
Old 06-04-2004, 09:17 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
You can rebuild engines... but you can't repaint your own bumper?!?!
-Gagan
rebuilding a motor is not rocket science, but painting is

Quick Reply: Dealerships, warranties and paint, oh my!