Credit Card fraud getting crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:42 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
Credit Card fraud getting crazy!

I have a Citi Mastercard I use exclusively to buy school books and I ONLY use paypal and amazon when purchasing. Somehow, I get fraudulent charges on the card.. the card gets frozen.

Fast forward today: I just received the new card today and call to activate it. As I'm activating, the rep tells me that I already have charges on the NEW card. !!!??? That does not make sense at all. The card has not been activated but there are charges already on it from previous days and TODAY. I ask to speak with an on site manager and even she was stumped.

Does anyone have a clue what the hell is going on?

They're sending me a new card and I tried to get some perks out of this whole fiasco but no dice. All I got was another month to pay off my card which I rightfully should get.

Anyone else have similar stories, experiences, etc?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
in November, I got a call from Washington Mutual saying my Mastercard was locked and they needed to confirm some purchases I made. I hadn't been using that card at all for a while since I was trying to pay it down. Purchases like netflix, blockbuster online, macy's, nordstroms, etc were made in a 2-3 day span. I told them the last time I used the card was in August at a 7-11. they nullified all charges made after that date, locked the card, and sent me a new card with a new card #.

Last month, I got a call from a "bank representative" saying someone had found my ATM card and that it was now locked. They wanted some info and asked security like type question such as "mother's maiden name" and so forth. Well I pulled out my wallet and my card was still in there and I told the gentleman so. He immediately hung up. I tried to redial the number but it came up as disconnected...Either way, I called the bank and had them issue me a new card as well as a new number. It was a good thing too because the 3-digit security code was getting faded from me swiping the card at so many places and I could barely read the numbers to make online purchases.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by jondl
I have a Citi Mastercard I use exclusively to buy school books and I ONLY use paypal and amazon when purchasing. Somehow, I get fraudulent charges on the card.. the card gets frozen.

Fast forward today: I just received the new card today and call to activate it. As I'm activating, the rep tells me that I already have charges on the NEW card. !!!??? That does not make sense at all. The card has not been activated but there are charges already on it from previous days and TODAY. I ask to speak with an on site manager and even she was stumped.

They're sending me a new card and I tried to get some perks out of this whole fiasco but no dice. All I got was another month to pay off my card which I rightfully should get.

yepp........everyones bofa i know has been getting raped. Anywhere u use ur cardu can be fooked. sounds like in your case their files got stolen or something.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:49 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
My husband bugs me all the time about me always having to go to the bank to get cash. He keeps saying the card, use the card.. This is the exact reason why i don't want to use the card. I had a gut feeling this was going to start happening with the economy the way it is.

Hope everyone who is going through this doesn't get hurt by it. That is just so crazy they got your card charges before it was even activated. How could that be unless someone working for the card company is doing it. Because there was one time i forgot to activate the card and i couldn't use it until i did activate it. It's amazing what the crooks end up doing and in the process giving us lots and lots of headaches to clear all the charges and changing everything.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:25 AM

Car Info: 06 Audi A3
Originally Posted by jondl

What most likely happened was they didnt close the account. They may have just issued a new card with a new account number. If they did that then the transactions would carry over to the new card. Call them and ask them to close the account reopen a new one. This will fix the problem. I work at Citibank and this has happened to a few people.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:40 AM

Car Info: White 04 WRX
Originally Posted by yayitzian
Last month, I got a call from a "bank representative" saying someone had found my ATM card and that it was now locked. They wanted some info and asked security like type question such as "mother's maiden name" and so forth. Well I pulled out my wallet and my card was still in there and I told the gentleman so. He immediately hung up. I tried to redial the number but it came up as disconnected...Either way, I called the bank and had them issue me a new card as well as a new number. It was a good thing too because the 3-digit security code was getting faded from me swiping the card at so many places and I could barely read the numbers to make online purchases.
damn thats pretty crazy right there! gotta be mindful whos calling, asking for our security information!
Old 02-28-2009, 11:58 AM

Car Info: wrx02
Originally Posted by Gibz
My husband bugs me all the time about me always having to go to the bank to get cash. He keeps saying the card, use the card.. This is the exact reason why i don't want to use the card. I had a gut feeling this was going to start happening with the economy the way it is.

Hope everyone who is going through this doesn't get hurt by it. That is just so crazy they got your card charges before it was even activated. How could that be unless someone working for the card company is doing it. Because there was one time i forgot to activate the card and i couldn't use it until i did activate it. It's amazing what the crooks end up doing and in the process giving us lots and lots of headaches to clear all the charges and changing everything.
As for using cash, I do that exact same. ID theft is on rise. I get monthly cash from the bank (inside - no atm), and rarely swipe my card. Only use credit card on trust worthy internet sites i.e. amazon and paypal. All bills are done electronically and paperless. I learned that in hard way. It's worthy it, belive you me and Gibs. Well, it's worth at least 12,000 for me. Got them all back though.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:39 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
wow crazy stories...

goodluck fixing those out. this is the sole reason i do not have a credit card still
Old 02-28-2009, 01:47 PM

credit card doesnt matter. This has happened to mine and 4 other people I know including my pappy's atm bofa checking acc cards. Full access to checking acc.

Sadly it's pretty easy for them to rape us, there is pretty much nothing we can do if we get to be that unlucky person.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:41 PM

Car Info: 12 Impreza Wagon, RIP 91 Honda Civic Wagon :(
We've had three separate cases at work in the past month ... fraud checks cashed on the main company bank account, which we caught within 24 hours ... fraud on one of the company credit cards, again caught really quickly ... and items stolen from offices, janitorial company fired and nothing stolen since then.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:10 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
I work in the fraud/billing disputes department for a large credit card company, and we have been seeing a huge rise, everyone just becareful with where you are using it, and know that it is ultimately your responsibility to check your statement, so check it often and don't be affraid to call them if for some reason something doesn't add up.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:25 AM

Car Info: Nadda
I heard Paypal got caught up, hacked into.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:07 AM

Car Info: wrx02
^^^@#$%. You sure?
Old 03-01-2009, 11:19 AM

Car Info: 85 MR2 & 89 Alltrac Camry
Originally Posted by SubyN00by
I work in the fraud/billing disputes department for a large credit card company, and we have been seeing a huge rise,

As do I & we have had a rise too. We have also had a huge rise in false claims though.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:45 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Well it would make sense, just as more people drive cars there are more car accidents and in comparison toward credit cards, more people are shopping online, and more things are made in electronic payments, and therefore thieves will start to find their way into more accounts.

Sucks, but luckily *knocks on wood* I haven't had a hit yet, and I shop online only at Amazon.com. and other big retail online chains.

Quick Reply: Credit Card fraud getting crazy!