Conversation with WRB WRX on Stevens Creek in Cupertino at 620

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 11:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Re: Conversation on Stevens Creek at 620

Originally posted by gopher37
Today I was just driving in Cupertino, near the intersection of Stevens Creek and De Anza Boulevard, about to pull into the Verizon to get a new phone. I pull up to a WRB WRX, and start chatting it up with the driver.

He was a really nice guy until he asks whether my car is automatic - which I respond, "yes", with a little reservation and sigh in my voice. He then starts laughing and says hes about to roll up his window on me. I was about to go off on him, but just simply stared straight ahead and stopped listening to him. It just pissed me off that he had the ***** to talk crap to a fellow WRX owner.

I don't know if the guy is a member of this board, but rest assured that I think you're an a**hole. Every subie that I've talked to on the road up to this point has been really cool. I know that there are a lot of people out there who feel that no one should be able to buy a WRX in an automatic - and I somewhat see their point. However, people buy cars for different reasons and have different circumstances. While I sometimes wish that I had a manual, I got a automatic for two main reasons:

1. I've never driven a manual before, and didn't want to try to learn on such a nice car.
2. I drive 880 every day for work in bad traffic, and it would be annoying shifting every 2 seconds.

I know that this kind of stuff shouldn't make a person mad, but it just sets me off.

Mike

Don't let it get to you man. i have a 4eat too.

I have gone through 5 manual cars and just wanted something to relax in and hold my GF's hand. haha. Sure you're not going to be able to get the same 0-60 as a manual w/o a TC or certain mods but you can mod it out anyway you can. Even make it go faster than most manuals.

don't sweat it... it's YOUR CAR not anyone elses. I haven't had anyone give me crap about my choice in these forums..most guys i know here are awesome. hell i could probably drive a manual better than most that own a 5spd. I've even driven a column drive hummer rally style in NC and KY.

Do yourself a favor and goto the tranny forums and see how many failed manual trannys there are w/wrx's. I have a hayden 403 cooler on mine w/redline ATF and no problems yet. I have heard few problems with the Auto tranny what so ever.

so i'll be your friend

eric
Old 07-24-2003, 08:38 AM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
My wagon's a 4eat, and now that i got a manual, i still take the auto out to SF and all the associated places with hills.

You shoulda told him to have fun with traffic IN san francisco

4EAT's rule. I wonder if this guy knows about russel's stage 2 wagon
Old 07-24-2003, 09:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: SCBYDON
Thumbs up Re: Conversation with WRB WRX on Stevens Creek in Cupertino at 620

Originally posted by gopher37

1. I've never driven a manual before, and didn't want to try to learn on such a nice car.

Mike [/B]
This is real smart, if that guy bought his car and learned to drive a stick on it, i'd be LMAO. Don't let that guy bother you, i have a manual quite a long time now, and wish i had an automatic, thinking of getting one for my next car, so just enjoy your car and drive safe.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:56 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
automatics suck :devil:
Old 07-24-2003, 10:10 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally posted by wrx ish
automatics suck :devil:
Old 07-24-2003, 10:27 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
damnit....I bought my car and learned to drive manual on it!

O well I don't do dounuts and practice launches so I should be ok...for now
Old 07-24-2003, 02:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Originally posted by christoph1371
If it's any consolation remember than only the real fast drag cars are AUTOMATIC!
chris
actually they are not Auto....the are still manuals....but they have a shift kit in them so the driver does not need to use the clutch....thats what we like to call "bangin' gears". However, I am not ******* Auto's.....I know of some VERY FAST cars that are Autos....infact, my brothers 1936 Pontiac 5 window coupe ( 1 of 19 registered in the US) has a TH400 (automatic 4spd) tranny that is linked up to a roller everything, studded, bored and blueprinted, race ready 454 that is topped with a nice 8-71 Megablower, and a couple of Holley 4bbl double pumpers....runnin' around 600 HP to the wheels with only 650 CFM carbs and no NOS. Anyways, his is an auto, with a shift kit, so he can change gears manually, no clutch. He expects to get around 900+ hp to the wheels after he gets his 800 CFM carbs and decides if he wants to run NOS. Also, the tires He is running= Mickey Thomson Sportsman Pro's 33x21.5 r 15s.

the point is, just because you have an automatic, doesnt mean your car is not "worthy", or is any less of a performer. That guy just was biased,and all it will take is one time for him to get his butt whooped on by an auto, and he'll stop talking. Either that, or he is so insecure about his driving skills on a manual tranny, that making others feel bad, makes him feel superior, although he may be learning to drive the car himself. OR he is just an @$$.....

P.S. Damn, I ramble on alot....LOL

-Ted
Old 07-24-2003, 02:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: SCBYDON
Originally posted by GotBoost?
actually they are not Auto....the are still manuals....but they have a shift kit in them so the driver does not need to use the clutch....thats what we like to call "bangin' gears". However, I am not ******* Auto's.....I know of some VERY FAST cars that are Autos....infact, my brothers 1936 Pontiac 5 window coupe ( 1 of 19 registered in the US) has a TH400 (automatic 4spd) tranny that is linked up to a roller everything, studded, bored and blueprinted, race ready 454 that is topped with a nice 8-71 Megablower, and a couple of Holley 4bbl double pumpers....runnin' around 600 HP to the wheels with only 650 CFM carbs and no NOS. Anyways, his is an auto, with a shift kit, so he can change gears manually, no clutch. He expects to get around 900+ hp to the wheels after he gets his 800 CFM carbs and decides if he wants to run NOS. Also, the tires He is running= Mickey Thomson Sportsman Pro's 33x21.5 r 15s.

the point is, just because you have an automatic, doesnt mean your car is not "worthy", or is any less of a performer. That guy just was biased,and all it will take is one time for him to get his butt whooped on by an auto, and he'll stop talking. Either that, or he is so insecure about his driving skills on a manual tranny, that making others feel bad, makes him feel superior, although he may be learning to drive the car himself. OR he is just an @$$.....

P.S. Damn, I ramble on alot....LOL

-Ted
most probably just an a$$
Old 07-24-2003, 02:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
sticks are for dicks!

wait... umm no autos are for gaymen who wears tights.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:12 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

when driving through a place like this:

an automatic is the only way for me...

Quick Reply: Conversation with WRB WRX on Stevens Creek in Cupertino at 620