Cold tires don't make noise?

Old 02-04-2012, 01:35 PM

Car Info: 05 white WRX
Cold tires don't make noise?

Got off work yesterday(long day) and took a turn a little too fast, my fault for zoning out a bit, and starting to slide. Had to correct a couple times and steady the car. During all of this my tires didn't make a noise. I was under the assumption they squeal louder when cold?! I should note that the Neo Gens that I'm running we're made in 08. Anyone shed some light?
Old 02-04-2012, 01:59 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Stiff tire compunds, Aged tires, They don't have to make any sounds. Also a heatcycled track tire that has cooled off. Those are like ice before they warm back up. Even worse if the ground is cold.

Glad you were able to catch it before it got away.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:07 PM

Ground was definitely cold. I just assumed noise would be there which it wasn't. Thanks though, first time in a somewhat emergency situation. Don't like pushing the car too hard and I must say its a little bit scary with AWD.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:58 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Originally Posted by wilde
Ground was definitely cold. I just assumed noise would be there which it wasn't. Thanks though, first time in a somewhat emergency situation. Don't like pushing the car too hard and I must say its a little bit scary with AWD.
Haha.. you will learn to love it.... I know that the 1st time it caught me off. I got me too. Then after we built my car, the 1st corner I took a left hand turn. I got on the gas like a normal car, It pitched my *** sideways with all 4 spinning. That really scared me then. You gotta learn to respect it more.

In cold mornings I used to play with the gas to test traction. After a bit it got fun. Knowing your tires also help. And least this time was a learning lesson that ended up with a good outcome. I know others that have crashed their cars.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:15 PM

really depends on the tires. Although I only ran them for 3k or so, this is why I absolutely hated the re01r the older one.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by old.guy
Haha.. you will learn to love it.... I know that the 1st time it caught me off. I got me too. Then after we built my car, the 1st corner I took a left hand turn. I got on the gas like a normal car, It pitched my *** sideways with all 4 spinning. That really scared me then. You gotta learn to respect it more.

In cold mornings I used to play with the gas to test traction. After a bit it got fun. Knowing your tires also help. And least this time was a learning lesson that ended up with a good outcome. I know others that have crashed their cars.
I used to drive a FWD Chrysler and I've been in some crazy scenarios where I knew I was gonna crash but it was so forgiving I could just whip the thing around. Granted it handled like crap just very predictable. First time with AWD and I feel like my car handled me like a little *****

Agree with you about respecting the car though, gotta know your limits.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by slow04wrx
really depends on the tires. Although I only ran them for 3k or so, this is why I absolutely hated the re01r the older one.
Exactly. I'd prefer to have a tire that squeals a bit to let me know when it's reaching the breaking point.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
do a couple of auto-x and track day events, then you'll really learn the limits of your car!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
do a couple of auto-x and track day events, then you'll really learn the limits of your car!
That's what I was thinking. I'll definitely have to at some point! I think I just need a few days of playing around too. Had the car for over 6 months so there's always new stuff to learn!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
It's like how I never heard my starspecs chirp or squeal going up mt hammy. Never know! (Silent but deadly)
Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
A lot of higher performance tires can be pretty quiet. Eventually you can learn to feel the loss of traction and don't have to rely on noise.

-- Ed
Old 02-04-2012, 10:20 PM

You would think a harder compound would squeal? Then again it's quality rubber
Old 02-05-2012, 02:54 AM

I think performance tires tend to be a softer compound rubber? my understanding is a more race oriented tire is usually always going to have a more abrupt breaking loose point and not make noise, but for steet tires no noise doesn't always= abrupt breaking loose point, and that is the OPS real problem.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:26 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Noise isn't the primary indicator that you are about to lose traction or that they are cold, so you are under the wrong impression. You have to be able to tell by feel. Squeal tells you they aren't doing well, but you can have tires that squeal and still break away slowly or tires that are quiet that lose it quickly. Even the wrong pressures will change the behavior of any tire. Also, I pretty much never trust cold tires, period.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
High HP plus tire spin doesn't have squeal right? Haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold tires don't make noise?