Not
56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Cold Steel "O-Katana"

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:47 PM

Car Info: 93 Camry LE
Cold Steel "O-Katana"

Ok guys, I'm going to buy a Katana, and I have been researching and looking around every corner and depth of the internetz and I have concluded that I should buy the Cold Steel "O Katana" because it is a large sword and I'm not a small guy so I need a big sword! I know I don't need a sword but I can't help myself.

Specifications:
Weight: 48 oz.
Blade Thick: 5/16"
Blade Length: 36" (Average katana blades are 27" - 28")
Handle: 13" Sam� (Ray Skin). black braid cord with brass Menuki
Steel: 1055 Carbon
Overall Length: 49"
Sheath: Black Lacquered Wood w/blue violet cover bagpad
$624.99

A video demonstrating the swords durability and destructiveness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V__Ierrz0hQ

Sword experts please give me 2 cents.

Last edited by Daweism; 04-15-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
In response to your video, it is a sword, not a baseball bat.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by darkonion
In response to your video, it is a sword, not a baseball bat.
The doods in that video don't know how to properly use a sword lol.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:16 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
I dont need one either but after watching a modern marvels episode on the katana sword, I would like to have one....they are pretty amazing.

Should I vote if I have no knowledge of swords?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:33 PM

Can a katana cut through a raw cowshead?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VsbFDq3cew
Old 04-15-2008, 06:49 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon (RIP)
Most likely, you're never gonna have to use the sword much less try cutting through that crap since you'll chance screwing it up. Forget the function and just get the cheapest good looking one you can find. Save the rest of the money for kendo or iaido lessons so you don't look like you're swinging a baseball bat.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:58 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Daweism, talk to Broken Arrow, he's had experience in forging katanas

Also the American Bladesmith society has an 80 hour blade forging intro class http://www.americanbladesmith.com/
Old 04-15-2008, 07:31 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
of course its cool, even though i voted no.

its all the price. i couldnt buy it because it would take me a year to pay it off lol
Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wrb, 2006 Daytona CHarger drift car
[QUOTE=Daweism;2175506]Ok guys, I'm going to buy a Katana, and I have been researching and looking around every corner and depth of the internetz and I have concluded that I should buy the Cold Steel "O Katana" because it is a large sword and I'm not a small guy so I need a big sword! I know I don't need a sword but I can't help myself.

Specifications:
$624.99

Daweism, the Cold Steel swords are made in China. They are not bad for the money. They do have a spring temper, so that it can take a beating. The downside of a spring temper is that the cutting edge will not hold an edge as well as a traditionally forged blade.

I'm curious about your choice on this sword. The proper length of the sword should match the user. When you are standing, you feet should be shoulder width, then the sword should be held in your right hand and gradually bring the sword near the outside of your right foot. The blade tip should be about 1" from the ground. The handle length is a personal choice.

Unless, you are very tall, this Cold Steel "O" Katana might be too long for you. Also, it depends on the fighting style you will use for this blade. Don't forget to get proper instruction on use of it also. I saw many "experts" say that they knew how to use a blade, then they ended up cutting a chunk off their body.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
I'll stick with my Oak Bokken that I use for Aikido

(this is not me in the picture)
http://www.rocklandaikido.com/images...da-bokken1.jpg
Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by BrokenArrow..
Unless, you are very tall, this Cold Steel "O" Katana might be too long for you. Also, it depends on the fighting style you will use for this blade. Don't forget to get proper instruction on use of it also. I saw many "experts" say that they knew how to use a blade, then they ended up cutting a chunk off their body.[/B]

I also don't know the context you're buying it in but you know with Aikido, various traditional kenjutsu and iaijutsu styles, you're training with a boken for a number years before using a shinken right?

Since you're asking about freaking swords on a freaking car forum of all places, I have to assume you aren't doing much of the above style. The thing is the shinken is heavy and it's just going to hurt skill progression. If you want something cool looking you can buy an aluminum practice katana that is lightweight and pretty much looks like the real deal. Besides the Kendo Shinai has this string thing to make sure you're swinging straight anyways.

And you can have it sharpened if you want to impress your friends with cutting a piece of paper with the katana.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by crazy_sherm
Most likely, you're never gonna have to use the sword much less try cutting through that crap since you'll chance screwing it up. Forget the function and just get the cheapest good looking one you can find. Save the rest of the money for kendo or iaido lessons so you don't look like you're swinging a baseball bat.

Also, it should be "daitoh", not "O-katana"
Old 04-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
chainsaw would cut alot better for alot less money, otherwise, 600+ bones would get you a nice Glock
Old 04-16-2008, 12:41 AM

[QUOTE=BrokenArrow..;2175650]
Originally Posted by Daweism
Ok guys, I'm going to buy a Katana, and I have been researching and looking around every corner and depth of the internetz and I have concluded that I should buy the Cold Steel "O Katana" because it is a large sword and I'm not a small guy so I need a big sword! I know I don't need a sword but I can't help myself.

Specifications:
$624.99

Daweism, the Cold Steel swords are made in China. They are not bad for the money. They do have a spring temper, so that it can take a beating. The downside of a spring temper is that the cutting edge will not hold an edge as well as a traditionally forged blade.

I'm curious about your choice on this sword. The proper length of the sword should match the user. When you are standing, you feet should be shoulder width, then the sword should be held in your right hand and gradually bring the sword near the outside of your right foot. The blade tip should be about 1" from the ground. The handle length is a personal choice.

Unless, you are very tall, this Cold Steel "O" Katana might be too long for you. Also, it depends on the fighting style you will use for this blade. Don't forget to get proper instruction on use of it also. I saw many "experts" say that they knew how to use a blade, then they ended up cutting a chunk off their body.
I dunno... I'm 6'2" with long legs and wide wingspan. And more than strong enough to wield that thing. It's overall durability and toughness is what sold me. But the swords without the spring temper tend to bend A LOT easier though...
Old 04-16-2008, 08:49 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
If I were you, I'd get a Paul Chen Katana instead of that Cold Steel one...

Quick Reply: Cold Steel "O-Katana"