Cobb stage 2 and smog - i-Club

Go Back  i-Club > Regional Forums > Bay Area
Cobb stage 2 and smog >

Cobb stage 2 and smog

Cobb stage 2 and smog

Reply

 
 
 
Old 05-09-2018, 06:45 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 103
Car Info: 11 STI Hatch
Cobb stage 2 and smog

iím planning to get a cobb downpipe and a custom protune and was wondering if the car will pass the obd2 readiness portion of the test. I am not concerned with the visual.
brandobot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:48 AM
  #2  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Palo Alto,CA
Posts: 230
Car Info: 2004 STi,sold.
My 2004 STi has a COBB turboback and Stage 2 programming from 13 years ago plus Subaru's CARB-legal intake. It recently passed smog with no problems.
walt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:24 AM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 103
Car Info: 11 STI Hatch
Originally Posted by walt View Post
My 2004 STi has a COBB turboback and Stage 2 programming from 13 years ago plus Subaru's CARB-legal intake. It recently passed smog with no problems.
thanks! With the 04, did they make you run the sniffer test? Or was it only the obd2 readiness portion?
brandobot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:43 AM
  #4  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Palo Alto,CA
Posts: 230
Car Info: 2004 STi,sold.
Just the OBD plug-in. And to my surprise,the Accessport tuning didn't affect the readiness of any monitors.
walt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:51 AM
  #5  
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 103
Car Info: 11 STI Hatch
Originally Posted by walt View Post
Just the OBD plug-in. And to my surprise,the Accessport tuning didn't affect the readiness of any monitors.
Very interesting! Sorry -- going to bug you with a few more questions.

Which tune are you running?
I've been reading some of the stage 2 tunes deletes the code for the secondary cat, which would cause you to fail.
brandobot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:09 AM
  #6  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Palo Alto,CA
Posts: 230
Car Info: 2004 STi,sold.
I have the standard California 91-octane map except that I had COBB raise the idle speed to 900 (so I can let the clutch out from a stop with minimal slippage). I expected a monitor to show as not ready,but apparently the monitor is changed rather than disabled and the cat code (P0420 ?,I forget) isn't triggered.
walt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:35 AM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 103
Car Info: 11 STI Hatch
Originally Posted by walt View Post
I have the standard California 91-octane map except that I had COBB raise the idle speed to 900 (so I can let the clutch out from a stop with minimal slippage). I expected a monitor to show as not ready,but apparently the monitor is changed rather than disabled and the cat code (P0420 ?,I forget) isn't triggered.
thanks!! Sounds like i can flash back to the stage 2 ots cobb cali tune when I need my smog. I was afraid Iíd have to swap all my stock parts back on.
brandobot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:36 PM
  #8  
Registered User
 
Overbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Leandro, CA
Posts: 3,856
Car Info: Forester XTi
OK a few things here..

1)the smog check does NOT read the map, they cant tell what map you have, or even if you have some warnings/sensors turned off. All they can read is if you have a code or not thrown, and that you have driven more than 50 miles since the last reset/battery change.

2)Visual is where they will get you, unles syou are smart enough to hide your downpipe with a stock heat shield.

3)Move to WA, we don't have ANY visual check up here. They don't give a rats *** what I have under the hood so long as I don't have a check engine light on, I am good to go.
Overbear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:30 PM
  #9  
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 103
Car Info: 11 STI Hatch
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
OK a few things here..

1)the smog check does NOT read the map, they cant tell what map you have, or even if you have some warnings/sensors turned off. All they can read is if you have a code or not thrown, and that you have driven more than 50 miles since the last reset/battery change.

2)Visual is where they will get you, unles syou are smart enough to hide your downpipe with a stock heat shield.

3)Move to WA, we don't have ANY visual check up here. They don't give a rats *** what I have under the hood so long as I don't have a check engine light on, I am good to go.
Very helpful. Thanks!
brandobot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:05 PM
  #10  
Registered User
 
waggonstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ca
Posts: 94
Car Info: 02 wagon
Wanted to get a silicone turbo inlet, but found out it will fail visual inspection for smog. Thought about getting the black one and see if they even notice..
waggonstyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:17 PM
  #11  
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 103
Car Info: 11 STI Hatch
Smog here is ridiculous. I have an aos, but am considering selling it as I donít want to have to pay someone to uninstall it to smog it down the road..

iím considering just going stage 2 and stopping
brandobot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:48 AM
  #12  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 8
Car Info: 2007 Subaru WRX STI
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post

2)Visual is where they will get you, unles syou are smart enough to hide your downpipe with a stock heat shield.
Has anyone done this?? I'll be moving to Cali soon and was thinking about trying it out.
BobatheSolo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:16 AM
  #13  
It's QQ thankyouverymuch
iTrader: (39)
 
JourdanWithaU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 19,604
Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
I tried. It didn't work.

May work if a cop takes a look. But, I haven't had that happen.
JourdanWithaU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:37 AM
  #14  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 8
Car Info: 2007 Subaru WRX STI
Hmm I figured there would be no way to tell unless they were looking for it. Thanks for the response though! Now I know not to rely on it.
BobatheSolo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:55 AM
  #15  
It's QQ thankyouverymuch
iTrader: (39)
 
JourdanWithaU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 19,604
Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
It depends on how much the looker knows.

Smog tech knows and will stick their head in there to see what's up. Cop will probably glance over it and nothing more.

My process (after making a table) https://www.i-club.com/forums/ongoin...3/#post3658529
JourdanWithaU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DabiDa
Bay Area
12
08-16-2013 11:43 AM
srbaugust
General Tech / How To's / Installations
15
06-02-2013 02:02 AM
GrnFozzy
Bay Area
4
03-06-2013 12:03 AM
MZvErTiGo
Bay Area
5
04-20-2006 12:44 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread