Certified A+ Technician

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:02 PM

Car Info: '05 sti
Certified A+ Technician

wsup dudes,
I just got my A+ cetification from COMPTIA on Monday. This gives me the title of an "A+ Technician". So... anyone out there looking for any type of IT work, or know of anyone?
I'm trying to get in the industry, so any help would be cool

thx guys.

p.s. Im getting the following certs within the next month to get my MCSA (Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator)
Security+
Network+
Microsoft XP cert
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Infastructure Cert
Linux+
and I might have left out a few.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 PM

Car Info: 94 rx7
Get experience.

I started at school districts, pay is not great 18/hr but gets you good experience in a wide array of problems; Mounting keyboard trays to trouble shooting fiber optic networks, yay!

-HLN

A+
HP certified professional
Xerox printer certified
Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
jon like i told you.... the a+ will not do anything for you.. its just one of those things you list on your resume to help your paper reputation...

you need serious linux admin experience to get anywhere..
Old 01-24-2008, 06:26 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX, tuned by Ed@EQ
PMing you about an opportunity...
Old 01-24-2008, 07:13 AM

Car Info: Sline
For those of us not "in" with the IT lingo, what does an A+ Certification entail? What more does it enable you to do?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 AM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
Originally Posted by evsoul
jon like i told you.... the a+ will not do anything for you.. its just one of those things you list on your resume to help your paper reputation...

you need serious linux admin experience to get anywhere..
That is true. A+ is like getting your High School Dip. However, it is a great thing to get and teaches you the basics. You can prob start out as a entry level PC Tech/Desktop Support, learn the ropes, and go up from there. But yeah it is a good step into the right direction.

Far as Linux Admin, well that is just like a Windows Admin in my book; aka Dime a Dozen. Whatever the path chosen, as long as you have hands on experience to back it you're general good to go.

Keep the studies up, learn what you can, and get your foot in the door somewhere to apply it.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
When I was just starting out, I temped with Manpower doing helpdesk crud for a year or so. Took all my spare money and bought O'Reilley books and systems for home use and experimentation, and parleyed that into a pretty good career.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:30 AM

Car Info: nothing
you should be a computer engineer! they make bank

It's really hard though my buddy is doing it
Old 01-24-2008, 11:54 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by KOSTI
That is true. A+ is like getting your High School Dip. However, it is a great thing to get and teaches you the basics. You can prob start out as a entry level PC Tech/Desktop Support, learn the ropes, and go up from there. But yeah it is a good step into the right direction.

Far as Linux Admin, well that is just like a Windows Admin in my book; aka Dime a Dozen. Whatever the path chosen, as long as you have hands on experience to back it you're general good to go.

Keep the studies up, learn what you can, and get your foot in the door somewhere to apply it.

Good luck!
I agree, but so many systems are moving over to Linux now its becoming a much more significant thing to support Linux. Not to say Microsoft certs aren't important.
My main point is that A+ is good to have on the resume but the stuff on his list that he is on his way to getting are the much more significant certs to have.

Jon you should consider learning .net framework stuff also because a lot of places like to see a capability in that.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:19 PM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
certs are pretty much meaningless without experience. i know my share of "paper" mcse, ccie, and redhat monkeys and none of them can hold jobs very long because they get displaced by people who know what they are doing.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:33 PM
VIP Member

^^well a lot of simple lame jobs require them. I can do more than half the stuff I don't have a cert for... I was applying once for a web design job here in the north bay.. it was gonna pay $25/hr but they would NOT hire me or even interview me without i think it was a BA in web design or something like that.. even though every site in their company portfolio was simple html sites not even a lick of CSS/PHP/Flash etc etc..other than flash and PHP(I know some PHP) I could teach them all something.. I am 24 and have been doing webdesign since I was about 13. it just shows that sometimes they want to see those certs just to even consider you no matter your experience.

It is kinda lame.. in this industry (IT, web design, programming etc etc) you do not need a cert/degree to be one of the best in what you do.. yet a lot of companies want to see a cert or degree.. which is so dumb if you have an amazing portfolio.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:19 PM

yea sounds like that company is lame. Real companies don't care as long as you can do the work well, they could give a **** how you do it or what certs you have.

Just send your resume out a ****load man, theres always it jobs..............
Old 01-24-2008, 01:37 PM
VIP Member

ya. I am working on some websites to add to my portfolio now.. i am really hoping to start my own company eventually.

back in 2004 I was averaging 2-3k a week in work.. then my girlfriend at the time told me to "get a real job" meaning a job where i worked for someone.. and because i was dumb i dropped my clients... ahhh i hate stupid girls... and myself for listening to her..
Old 01-24-2008, 02:31 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI, 2004 S2000, 1993 RX7
Congrats on the certification! What school are you attending right now?

I currently have my A+ and Network+ from COMPTIA. Also im Microsoft Certified Professional and have MCSA. The 70-291 course for Network Infrastructure is pretty difficult. Be prepared for lots of reading (100+ pages per chapter in some cases). I would suggest taking the 70-270 before the 70-291. Once you get passed the 291, the remaining 4 courses to get your MCSE is easier.

EDIT:
By the way, if your aim is MCSA, then the only pre-requisites are N+ and MCP. Once you get your N+ you can go straight into 70-290 to get your MCP, then 70-270 and 70-291 for the MCSA.

Last edited by STiyLish WRX; 01-24-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:31 AM
VIP Member

I want my CCNA

one day.

Quick Reply: Certified A+ Technician