Cell phones and driving, yup I'm that guy! GST bailed me out though!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:15 PM

Car Info: '05 WRX STi
Cell phones and driving, yup I'm that guy! GST bailed me out though!

So I was down in Sacramento for a friends funeral. I was 1 block from my brothers house and my cell phone rang. I looked down to see who was calling and BAM! drifted into a parked car. I taco'd my right A-arm so bad it put the wheel all the way in the back of the fender.

I am 5hrs from home, have a funeral @ 2pm the next day and I can't drive my car. I call Mike @ GST (after hours) using the bat phone. Mike says pull it apart and call me back and tell me what you need. So I pull off the wheel and the only thing I can see wrong is the A-arm is bent, and I mean BENT! Called Mike back with the damage report and he tells me I can bring the car in, and they will put other jobs aside to help me out. I told Mike thank you but I messed up so I will take it apart on jack stands in my brother's drive way and use his hands tools.

So I get the a-arm off in the driveway Thursday night (the night I wrecked it). Friday morning I go to Hayward and Mike sells me a set of a-arms and tells me if there is any other stuff broken let him know.

So I get the a-arm back on and go to the funeral. All seems good except my steering rack is either stripped or bent as there is play in the steering wheel and when I hit rain and snow (which it did all the way home) the front wheels seem to drift back and forth and make the car want to change lanes.

Well I got home Friday night for my GF's birthday thanks to my good friends @ GST. Now to get another steering rack and pull the broken one. BTW Thanks wheel dude for having such strong wheels. I hit on the right front wheel and besides a scratch on the lip all is good with the wheel. Guess they don't brake to easy! The forged a-arm taco's while the Rota says what, did I just get hit with a piece of paper?

Yeah this is supposed to be flat!

Thanks again GST and Wheeldude!

Cliffs: Don't use your cell phone while driving!

BTW if you want to see the a-arm I think it made the "Wall of Shame" @ GST Motorsports.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:31 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
mods plz change his ID.

haha jk

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 02-15-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
mods plz change his ID.

haha jk
LMAO, no kidding. I suxors.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:59 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
lol ****ing kyle
Old 02-15-2009, 05:45 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by never slip'n'
the forged a-arm taco's while the rota says what, did i just get hit with a piece of paper?
lmao
Old 02-15-2009, 05:51 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
Rota's are quite strong. i ran over a curb aat 25mph and no bend, cracks or dents in the rim. i also got three feet in the air and landed with rota's. idk where people get that they are weak... ****, some of the expensive high end rims you can't even curb them without the entire rim cracking... **** that
Old 02-15-2009, 09:22 PM

Car Info: Fast
+1 more for Rotas. I plowed into an embankment with my DPTs while driving at about 10-15 mph and they took it with no complaint.

As a side note I was on packed snow/ice, with my 245x40 Star Specs (against my better judgement), because I was too cheap to have my winter tires mounted and dismounted for the month I was waiting to do my hub/R180 swap $100 for 2 mount/dismounts turned into $600 for a bumper...but for now I rock the Franken-bumper!!

And of course another +1 for Mike. What would us Humboldt guys do without an awesome dude like him?
Old 02-16-2009, 12:37 AM

Dude I think you got caught slippin!

sucky tho, i think we've all almost done the same thing within a few inches.

In all seriourness it could be uber gay if just because of "wrx crashed because of cell phone into parked car" and people might ***** to this thread. Maybe mods should close it.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:55 AM
08.11.84 - 02.14.10

Car Info: a center diff that is going...
the rotas are strong and take a beating. have a set of tarmac II i hit a cement block and it left a little divit int he lip but didnt seem to really affect anything. then about a year later after a day of spirited driving i washed my car and as i was about to clean my rim. i noticed that the spoke clostest to that divit was cracked all the way around. i had to have ballz and gibz pick up a new rim for me on the next working day because i had to work during business hours. i paid for the rim but for the price they last.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:20 AM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
I've hit a few pot holes pretty damn hard, and my rotas are still good to go lol
Old 02-16-2009, 06:29 PM

Found out my right DMS camber plate is brokne also. Sheared of the part that holds the top of the strut to the plate it self and popped the top plate/cap off with it. That's going to be expensive. I will have to just throw some stock Sti pillow mounts in and call it good. This is getting expensive. Man I sux.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 PM

Car Info: nothing
yeah the whole "rota's are weak a break easy" not buying that at all.. i love em
Old 02-16-2009, 09:38 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Originally Posted by Never Slip'N'
Cliffs: Don't use your cell phone while driving!
Where was your hands free set with the button you press? =P
Old 02-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Happy to help mate you know that!

As for Rota's being weak, yea um ok We have run Enkei's, Volk's, Racing Harts etc etc and none of them have out lasted the Rota's. Hell our TA program gets solicated by wheel companies all the time, wonder what we'll be running this year???

ROTA!

Mike
Old 02-17-2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Happy to help mate you know that!

As for Rota's being weak, yea um ok We have run Enkei's, Volk's, Racing Harts etc etc and none of them have out lasted the Rota's. Hell our TA program gets solicated by wheel companies all the time, wonder what we'll be running this year???

ROTA!

Mike
Yup Rotas are def up to the job whether it be racing or crashing . Thanks again for everything Mike and crew.

Quick Reply: Cell phones and driving, yup I'm that guy! GST bailed me out though!