catless in the bay???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:17 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Maybe my example will help.

I was running a helix high flow and was tuned on it. Kinda smelled a little but I have cams so its to be expected. On the high flow I always had a little bog at about 2700-2800 rpm.

Had to swap to stock to smog and was able to trade for a catless before swapping back.

Now the difference is It smells terrible LOL but the slight bog is now gone, and accelleration is a little crisper. I dont know if I am making more power or not but those are the gains I noticed, and im on a little TD04.

IMHO go catless, but be willing to accept the risk. It can be a huge fine, a possible tow, and im talking like $1500 fine. the difference is unless you get a CARB leagal high flow you are running the same risks with the high flow.

Just for shagrins when I had my stock dp on for smog I could not really tell the difference between that and my high flow power wise, sound wise it was all the same too but I am running a borla hush cause im a ninja.....
Old 11-22-2011, 09:22 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by Shayhan27
Maybe my example will help.

I was running a helix high flow and was tuned on it. Kinda smelled a little but I have cams so its to be expected. On the high flow I always had a little bog at about 2700-2800 rpm.

Had to swap to stock to smog and was able to trade for a catless before swapping back.

Now the difference is It smells terrible LOL but the slight bog is now gone, and accelleration is a little crisper. I dont know if I am making more power or not but those are the gains I noticed, and im on a little TD04.

IMHO go catless, but be willing to accept the risk. It can be a huge fine, a possible tow, and im talking like $1500 fine. the difference is unless you get a CARB leagal high flow you are running the same risks with the high flow.

Just for shagrins when I had my stock dp on for smog I could not really tell the difference between that and my high flow power wise, sound wise it was all the same too but I am running a borla hush cause im a ninja.....
I went from my stock DP and full 3" cat back to a perrin dual catted setup. Myself and everyone else noticed a difference. I pull to redline much harder and faster than before. Im on a OTS stage 2 from cobb. when i did the swap i tried out the car on the stage 1 map same map i was running with the stock DP so it wasn't just a difference of tune. I let my dad drive the car before and after never telling him i did anything he noticed it right away he even noticed the subtle difference in the exhaust tone at idle but really knew i did something when he put his foot down and opened her up, (i don't see my dad that often and he has driven my car 5 times and the funny thing is 3 of the times he has driven the car was after i had done a mod and each time he noticed a difference in power without me telling him i had done a mod) The DP was the most noticeable mod i have done power wise and was worth it. I cant wait to put the Tomei UEL on the car. Hopefully i will get it back from swain before Xmas.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:31 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Side note: I don't know of any CARB legal downpipes.
There are lots with cats, but I don't know of one that has an EO#
Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
Originally Posted by Lowend
Side note: I don't know of any CARB legal downpipes.
There are lots with cats, but I don't know of one that has an EO#
Can't someone just use a universal cat with an EO#, and then fabricate the downpipe portion so that it fits a particular Subaru model?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:07 AM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Originally Posted by Jodice112
This thread has made me even more confused about wanting to go catless vs catted. I mean I have the stock downpipe so I can always go back to stock but at the same time I don't want all that black crap all over my bumper and my car to smell weird.

I'm thinking about buying a catted downpipe for now and using it until I start making more power and then just picking up a cheap catless downpipe from someone on the classifieds.
Smart idea.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Car Info: WRB Wagon
i think it depends on the cop at the end of the day, CA has such strict laws that any mods can technically get you pulled over... lameness to say the least

imho you dont have to worry much, how many cops know about modded subarus/let alone know how to look for a catless DP etc. etc... i say keep your **** looking as stock/sleeper as possible if you want to be undercover, know you're taking the risk if you're trying to braaaaap around town lol, good luck with your choice
Old 11-22-2011, 10:28 AM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
This thread has made me even more confused about wanting to go catless vs catted. I mean I have the stock downpipe so I can always go back to stock but at the same time I don't want all that black crap all over my bumper and my car to smell weird.

I'm thinking about buying a catted downpipe for now and using it until I start making more power and then just picking up a cheap catless downpipe from someone on the classifieds.
The only time I had sludge on my rear bumper was when I had my Blitz catback and that was only because the tip sat just behind and right up against the bumper. I have gone through about 3 others without the same issue. The smell isn't too bad either, but that might be because I'm used to it.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:39 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
1)what city you live/drive in matters (sj and south is lax)
2)exhaust type matters (maddad/borla are quietest)
3)how the rest of your car looks (stickers/big wings/general ricer look/herra frush)
4)driving style and attitude (self explanatory)

I was pulled over downtown SJ for speeding and owned up to it. The cop let me go and even complimented me on my car. Brucelee on the other hand always gets messed with lol. I run a maddad catless btw.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:01 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Originally Posted by KrAzYkld
The only time I had sludge on my rear bumper was when I had my Blitz catback and that was only because the tip sat just behind and right up against the bumper. I have gone through about 3 others without the same issue. The smell isn't too bad either, but that might be because I'm used to it.
Yeah I drive behind my friend who is catless and he blows out black smoke and it doesn't smell too great. But I can't smell anything inside his car, even at a stop with the windows down.

I really want the Blitz exhaust too.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:18 AM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
Yeah I drive behind my friend who is catless and he blows out black smoke and it doesn't smell too great. But I can't smell anything inside his car, even at a stop with the windows down.

I really want the Blitz exhaust too.
catless FTW!

Did they raise the fine for fixit tickets in california?

Also ive been catless for a year and a half, and my rear bumper has no black sludge or anything. Maybe its cus im blue?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:31 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Originally Posted by bkblitzed
catless FTW!

Did they raise the fine for fixit tickets in california?

Also ive been catless for a year and a half, and my rear bumper has no black sludge or anything. Maybe its cus im blue?
No it's because your exhaust hangs low and away from your rear bumper
Old 11-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
AVO Downpipe - Manual Trans
This 3inch downpipe is constructed from high-grade stainless steel, ensuring longevity along with great looks. It also features our special cast iron outlet which incorporates a splitter to deflect wastegate gases thereby improving turbo spool up. Together with our High flow C.A.R.B-approved catalytic converter we now offer the worlds most potent downpipe combination. The high-temp cast outlet removes a major bottleneck present on the factory exhaust system with its large bellmouth design with splitter for the wastegate. A stock exhaust flange simply has a blank plate at the wastegate, putting a major lid on performance. Your stock down pipe also uses one or two fairly restrictive catalytic converter(s). The AVO front pipe addresses this issue with a single large high-flow sports catalytic converter, larger than available from most other makers. All this adds up to a huge decrease in back pressure and a big increase in performance. Use your turbo to its full potential!

Originally Posted by Lowend
Baby Steps... you don't just wake-up with 450HP in the morning. We are talking about taking steps to achieve a goal. Just bolting on a catless downpipe isn't going to magically give a 150HP increase.

I can tell you first hand... a single 3" Cat will support 600HP. I'll find pics of the 94 Vette I helped build at Speed Merchant if you wanna see.
One... why are we comparing subaru's which is the OP's question to vettes completely irrelevant.

Second, never said the downpipe change is gonna get you 150hp magically, not only that first it was pointed out that you can keep your stock downpipe and have "attainable" power.

Third, those links are to provide you with information that changing those parts you mentioned will not help the OP in any way of achieving any extra power, EQ stated once again 5-7whp 10ftq on a healthy turboback set up, the intercooler flows more than enough to support 400hp, not only that the GR chassis sti intercooler mind you not is bigger than the 04-07 GD chassis, aftermarket TMIC and FMIC is almost unnecessary unless you're going bigger turbo. The stock intake box has been handling 400hp and this is said by tuners, all you get out of swapping that will be noise and engine bling, doesn't flow more air at stock diameter.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:43 PM

Car Info: 2008 WRX tp stg2
Here is my story,

I had a catless invidia dowpipe mated with a turboxs catback (sounded sweet) and I got pulled over for something completely irrelevant to the exhaust. When I was pulled over the chp officer was walking around my car and said my exhaust looked expensive. I did not have a watermelon launcher, just a simple muffler so it did not stand out too much. He asked me to pop my hood and found my downpipe. That's when he wrote me a ticket and told me to go home and fix it. He told me if he saw me driving it again he would impound the car and hold it.

So I got the ticket for missing smog control device in the mail and it was between 550-580 (can't remember the exact number). I also had to go get reffed at Los Positas city college. I went to court (pled not guilty) and got the ticket reduced to 280. Oh, and the ref cost a whopping 8 dollars to inspect and smog the car.

There is a lot more to the story, but this is long enough

Anyway, when I go stage two again, I am going to go catted just for the extra piece of mind.

The 1500 dollar ticket is more of a myth? I was shi**** my pants when I first got the ticket. Hope this helps in anyway!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:48 PM

Car Info: 2008 WRX tp stg2
And I live in the Walnut Creek area.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:16 PM

Car Info: 07 STi, 02 F150-FX4, 04 ZX-636, 07 990 SuperDuke
Originally Posted by Heedz
This 3inch downpipe is constructed from high-grade stainless steel, ensuring longevity along with great looks. It also features our special cast iron outlet which incorporates a splitter to deflect wastegate gases thereby improving turbo spool up. Together with our High flow C.A.R.B-approved catalytic converter we now offer the worlds most potent downpipe combination. The high-temp cast outlet removes a major bottleneck present on the factory exhaust system with its large bellmouth design with splitter for the wastegate. A stock exhaust flange simply has a blank plate at the wastegate, putting a major lid on performance. Your stock down pipe also uses one or two fairly restrictive catalytic converter(s). The AVO front pipe addresses this issue with a single large high-flow sports catalytic converter, larger than available from most other makers. All this adds up to a huge decrease in back pressure and a big increase in performance. Use your turbo to its full potential!

Yeah, that thing doesn't look CARB legal. I can only see 1 Cat in the pictures and not 2 like our cars have stock. They may use a CARB legal Cat, but that doesn't mean that it's CARB legal for our cars

I've been pondering if there would be any increase in power using the stock cats, but upgrading the outlet to a divorced waste gate bell mouth.

Quick Reply: catless in the bay???