Buying car, any shops local to San Mateo to inspect car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:27 PM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru XV (Crosstrek)
Question Buying car, any shops local to San Mateo to inspect car?

I've taken an interest in the 3rd generation Legacy, more specifically, a BH chassis Outback. (No, I'm not replacing my XV, getting a second vehicle)

I want the car inspected by a reputable automotive shop close to the San Mateo area, especially one that has experience with Subaru vehicles.

Auto HQ moved to Mountain View, and the seller wants a shop closer to San Mateo. I don't know if the performance Subaru shops in Hayward (such as GST Motorsports) are going to be close enough.

Any options around the area besides the Redwood City dealership? I REALLY don't want to have to bring it to a Subaru dealer, since that would just be unnecessarily expensive.

Another option would be to bring along someone who's worked on Subarus a while and would be willing to join me in inspecting the vehicle. If anyone's available this Saturday around noon/afternoon, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Last edited by AWDfreak; 09-04-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:55 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Go across the sam mateo bridge right into hayward to rbms. Mert will take care of you. And maybe if you are lucky....bear will be there to take care of you too. Lol
Old 09-04-2014, 04:32 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Yup, RBMS is your best choice.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Did you guys read the original post? The part where it says Hayward is too far?
Old 09-04-2014, 05:09 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Kunos is in Redwood City and I've had them work on one of my cars before. Dealer isn't going to really steer you wrong either; it is just the price.

Not sure if he edited that in, but I didn't see that Hayward, a whole ~7 miles away, might be too far. IMO, I'd rather take it to a shop like RBMS for sure, and if the seller has nothing to hide, they should be HAPPY to get it inspected. I got my WRX fully inspected prior to selling it and disclosed everything to potential buyers. If the seller is very resistant to that, perhaps understandable, but I'd be far more hesitant to buy it in that case.

Last edited by 04GG; 09-04-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:30 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 04GG
Kunos is in Redwood City and I've had them work on one of my cars before. Dealer isn't going to really steer you wrong either; it is just the price.

Not sure if he edited that in, but I didn't see that Hayward, a whole ~7 miles away, might be too far. IMO, I'd rather take it to a shop like RBMS for sure, and if the seller has nothing to hide, they should be HAPPY to get it inspected. I got my WRX fully inspected prior to selling it and disclosed everything to potential buyers. If the seller is very resistant to that, perhaps understandable, but I'd be far more hesitant to buy it in that case.
No worries - and I realized my post may have sounded a little snippy - didn't mean it that way. I have zero experience with RBMS but I know people like that shop, have only heard good things.

The last time I dealt with having a car inspected, I had it inspected at my shop for the potential buyer because I did not feel comfortable with the buyer taking my car from San Mateo up to San Francisco for the inspection.

NOTE - I will never do that again.

To the OP - is the dealer really super expensive? I would just take it there - since they want you to spend money with them, you stand to get the "worst case scenario" there. I had a great experience taking my Toyota to a Toyota dealer a few weeks ago (my first time!).
Old 09-04-2014, 05:40 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by 04GG
Kunos is a good option, I deliver parts to them and they do more hondas but they have subies there frequently

There is also nordic motors right by whipple/industrial. They are volvo/saab/subaru specialty. I've seen many legacy/outbacks there but I've never taken my own legacy there
Old 09-04-2014, 05:55 PM

Yea hayward is a 5 min drive over the bridge...lol. plus merts cheap and knows his schnit.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:06 PM

Car Info: Subaru STi Sedan '13
Originally Posted by Scoobywax
Yea hayward is a 5 min drive over the bridge...lol. plus merts cheap and knows his schnit.
Well given that he is an master mechanic it doesnt surprise me. Mert is not only a good and honest guy but he will never try to rip you off.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:45 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
ISn't there a Subaru dealership in Burlingame?

Not sure the dealerships in that area are much more expensive than independent shops. You also tend to get more thorough work done at dealerships. Small shops have a high work load and tend to rush the job.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:50 PM

Car Info: Eclipse
Originally Posted by jdblock

Not sure the dealerships in that area are much more expensive than independent shops. You also tend to get more thorough work done at dealerships. Small shops have a high work load and tend to rush the job.
Yeah, it's off california. I go there for my oil changes.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:54 PM

Car Info: 07 UGM WRX Wagon
The seller must not want to get rid of the car if he's too lazy to drive 10 miles. Hell when I sold my last car, I went about 30 miles each way to the buyers mechanic to have them check it out.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:30 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Scoobywax
From San Mateo to Hayward would be around ~25 minutes each way, with zero traffic, plus a $5 toll on the way back. The bridge can get pretty jammed up in the mornings and afternoon/evenings. Google Maps says 20 minutes but people often forget to factor the entire trip in when they grossly under-estimate travel time in an effort to convince someone of something.

Originally Posted by jdblock

Yeah - Putnam Subaru across the street from Toyota. That is a pretty broad generalization about dealerships versus small shops - to the point that it cannot possibly be true.

Originally Posted by awdorgtfo
The seller must not want to get rid of the car if he's too lazy to drive 10 miles.
What a ridiculous thing to say. I mean unless you know everything about this guy, his responsibilities and schedule.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 PM

Not trying to argue with you but ive made it from ultimate aquarium to decoto in less than 15 mins during non. Rush hour traffic. Worth it for rbms.

It only takes me 45 mins to get home to santa cruz during non rush hour traffic from san mateo. So idk how hayward is 25 mins from here lol.

Last edited by Scoobywax; 09-04-2014 at 09:23 PM.