Burn Clutch smell 1st gear..Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Burn Clutch smell 1st gear..Help

I have the Burn Clutch Smell only in first gear.. The gears shift fine and no slippage; however when I press the clutch only in 1st gear about 30% pressed I feel the clutch feels rough. I also do feel a little shutter when driving in 1st gear from a stop sign.

I ran through all the gears shifts fine, downshifts fine.

I did have a little issue where I was going uphill in SF and a cat crossed infront of me and I had to stop and burned my clutch. I know if there is damage its from that, but is this something that can go away as far as the clutch deglazing itself?..or time for a new clutch?

Anything to check for?
Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
[QUOTE=hYpE-R-29;3332130

I did have a little issue where I was going uphill in SF and a cat crossed infront of me and I had to stop and burned my clutch.

Anything to check for?[/QUOTE]
huh?

what is the milage on the clutch?
Old 12-19-2012, 12:25 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
How do you damage your clutch from stopping? O.o lol
Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
Are you sure the cat isn't in the clutch?
Old 12-19-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by BrendanTheGreat
How do you damage your clutch from stopping? O.o lol
50K on the clutch..

and dont ask about how i stopped..lol...lets say huge *** hill, going upward in the middle of the hill, dark as heck, and white cat runs across. I slam on the clutch, forgot to shiftdown, let go clutch..and i totally forgot what i did next..next thing i know, cars reving, clutch is smelling...I compose myself hit it back to first gear middle of the hill, balance it and go up the hill.

Gawd I hate the SF hills

Last edited by hYpE-R-29; 12-19-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:37 PM

Car Info: 99 Porsche 996
^he's joking by the way.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:52 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by hYpE-R-29
50K on the clutch..

and dont ask about how i stopped..lol...lets say huge *** hill, going upward in the middle of the hill, dark as heck, and white cat runs across. I slam on the clutch, forgot to shiftdown, let go clutch..and i totally forgot what i did next..next thing i know, cars reving, clutch is smelling...I compose myself hit it back to first gear middle of the hill, balance it and go up the hill.

Gawd I had the SF hills
Check to make sure the clutch pedal is correctly wired. My buddy has a similar problem where the clutch pedal was a tad bit engaged even when no pressure was applied and it caused pressure on the clutch and produced the burning smell. Make sure your kick point is correctly adjusted...idk why it would only be in first gear tho just an idea
Old 12-19-2012, 01:57 PM

Check to make sure the clutch pedal is correctly wired. My buddy has a similar problem where the clutch pedal was a tad bit engaged even when no pressure was applied and it caused pressure on the clutch and produced the burning smell. Make sure your kick point is correctly adjusted...idk why it would only be in first gear tho just an idea
Sorry but How do I do that
Old 12-19-2012, 02:02 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
just to help out: careful with how you word things. im a little confused with this post.

If you add any sort of pressure to your clutch pedal, it will NOT cause clutch smell (at least smell coming from excessive friction between friction plate and clutch disc) if you are applying pressure to clutch pedal and you start to smell something, it most prob is you throwout bearing scorching the pressure fingers. (IIRC for both RSush type and WRX: pull type)

have you check the basics? Like tranny oil. sounds far fetched, but if you think about it; the more resistance is on the gears (low on oil) the more pressure and stress is put on the friction point (clutch disc and pressure plate). does it make sense that if this were the case, you would need to apply more gas to get the car moving (in turn burning out the clutch)

just my quick 2 cents
Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 02RS25
just to help out: careful with how you word things. im a little confused with this post.

If you add any sort of pressure to your clutch pedal, it will NOT cause clutch smell (at least smell coming from excessive friction between friction plate and clutch disc) if you are applying pressure to clutch pedal and you start to smell something, it most prob is you throwout bearing scorching the pressure fingers. (IIRC for both RSush type and WRX: pull type)

have you check the basics? Like tranny oil. sounds far fetched, but if you think about it; the more resistance is on the gears (low on oil) the more pressure and stress is put on the friction point (clutch disc and pressure plate). does it make sense that if this were the case, you would need to apply more gas to get the car moving (in turn burning out the clutch)

just my quick 2 cents

Thanks..Checked Tranny Oil. It is on point. I run Motul Gear 300.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by hYpE-R-29
Thanks..Checked Tranny Oil. It is on point. I run Motul Gear 300.
hmmm...well thats good. this really is a weird case. i usually burn my clutch on 1st, but thats because i know i didnt meticulously align the clutch assembky when i serviced it and it slips in first. but you are saying its not slipping or anything. i also have "clutch chatter" like you describe, but again, i know its a tiny tiny misalignment on the clutch
Old 12-19-2012, 04:21 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Its time to consider replacing your clutch.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
Its time to consider replacing your clutch.
almost there...BUT...nothing is slipping
Old 12-19-2012, 04:35 PM

+1. thats what im thinking. with slippage and chatter, you could be riding on rivets!!!! and with clutch smell it is for sure slipping. have u tried a clutch test to verify you actually are not slipping?

clutch test: get up to 50 or so MPH in 5th gear. while coasting and your foot still on the gas pedal, slam on the clutch pedal and release pedal quickly. this will disengage then re engage the clutch while power is being given to engine. if your RPMs return back to where they were before clutch pedal was pushed, clutch is fine. if the RPM sky rockets or slowly start to creep up, you have a slipping clutch and need to replace it.

good luck!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by 02RS25
+1. thats what im thinking. with slippage and chatter, you could be riding on rivets!!!! and with clutch smell it is for sure slipping. have u tried a clutch test to verify you actually are not slipping?

clutch test: get up to 50 or so MPH in 5th gear. while coasting and your foot still on the gas pedal, slam on the clutch pedal and release pedal quickly. this will disengage then re engage the clutch while power is being given to engine. if your RPMs return back to where they were before clutch pedal was pushed, clutch is fine. if the RPM sky rockets or slowly start to creep up, you have a slipping clutch and need to replace it.

good luck!
Ok so I tried this yesterday, in 5th and the rpm returnd back so all good there.

Buuuuuut.....I decided to find another hill, so I drove in the middle of a hill stopped when back to 1st gear, balanced the clutch hit the gas and slight shudder, then car moved forward.

Quick Reply: Burn Clutch smell 1st gear..Help