Built motors, who did you go with and why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 05:38 PM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
Built motors, who did you go with and why?

Im looking for some suggestions for a shop to have my motor built at. I am aware of the obvious shops in the Bay Area(GST, RBMS, EQ), but have any of you ever worked with shops outside of the Bay Area(IAG Performance, Outfront Motorsports, All Speed Innovations etc)? Who did you go with and why? What was your experience like?

I am looking for something that is streetable. I dont plan to make more than 400whp and I am more concerned about longevity of the motor more than anything. how many miles have you seen out of your built motors? how much power are you making?

PM me if you would like to share some of your more personal stories and bad experiences.

Last edited by dynamicprojeKtz; 11-22-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
RBMS or FW
Old 11-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Concerned about longevity? Get a stock block then. Built motors are not always known for longevity no matter how nicely you build them.

Now for a shop I say RBMS or FW. Pauls turn arounds are generally faster due to the amount of parts he has around the shop already. Put a deposit down and he starts assembling.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:52 PM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
how many miles can i expect out of a built shortblock? is longevity cut down a significant amount even if i just swap out the oem pistons for forged ones?

im not looking to deal with another stock short block due to the weak ringlands on the stock pistons
Old 11-22-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by dynamicprojeKtz
how many miles can i expect out of a built shortblock? is longevity cut down a significant amount even if i just swap out the oem pistons for forged ones?

im not looking to deal with another stock short block due to the weak ringlands on the stock pistons
It's all chance man, I asked Paul how long he said it could last 100k he said he may never blow up.

It all comes down to how you drive it and the tune you have on it.

Longevity cut down should be answered by someone who builds them. Personal opinion, stock is built to last 100k. (Yes unfortunately subaru too some shortcuts, but there are some with 200k+ and some that raped their STis at 150k+ with no issues.)
Old 11-22-2014, 06:11 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I've yet to do a Subaru Motor, but I can say they are a unique beast.
I always promote working with a local engine builder. It's damn near impossible to deal with warranty issues with mail order engines.

I'd go with EQ or GST based on what I've seen here and general reputation. I can't speak for FW or RMBS... which is not to say they are bad. I'm just not familiar enough to comment on them

Now for my engine building speech. I spent 10 years in the performance industry(not anymore) and I've been Autocrossing since the mid 1990's. In other words:
I've been around, and I'm not trying to sell you anything
[engine building speech]
There is no profit in parts when building engines. Example: back when I was in the business we made maybe 7% on a $1500 set of Cylinder heads. Things have gotten tighter.
Everyone charges about the same amount of money for required machine work.
Everyone (who's any good) charges about the same amount of money for assembly labor.

What does this mean:
It means if you see a price from one shop that's significantly lower than others they are either
1) Skimping on Machine Work
2) Using inferior parts
3) Having some minimum wage jackass assemble the motor
4) Just plain ripping you off and never intend to build anything. (you'd be surprised how often this happens)

The short version:
Your dad was right, you get what you pay for
[/end engine building speech]

Last edited by Lowend; 11-22-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:39 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
RBMS, after sitting there and watching Mert build a big HP engine, even showing me step by step what he was doing, I doubt I will ever let anyone else build my motors.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:52 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS (really slow)
I-Speed/Crawford, ask for Bill he'll get your **** fully blown!
Old 11-22-2014, 07:21 PM

Car Info: STI Hatch - 2012
Call up Outfront Motorsports in Socal and ask them for something with 4032 (Wossner) pistons and appropriate pistons to wall clearances - should be plenty.

Mitsubishi uses 4032AL Mahle Pistons on the EVOX so the OEM's believe they can go 100K+ miles without issues. And that 2L ain't go no problem with 350WHP day in and day out. Mitsubishi did the R&D and longetivity testing, stand on the shoulder of giants is what I say..

That's what I'm gonna do early 2016 when the car hits 60K. Rallispec also sells a shortblock with 4032AL Supertech pistons but the Wossner ones are darned beefy looking (and they make pistons for Porches).

Last edited by Funks; 11-22-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:28 PM

Car Info: 04 STi AW
Originally Posted by Heedz
Concerned about longevity? Get a stock block then. Built motors are not always known for longevity no matter how nicely you build them.

Now for a shop I say RBMS or FW. Pauls turn arounds are generally faster due to the amount of parts he has around the shop already. Put a deposit down and he starts assembling.
I wanna go to FW for a built short block But when I read it was 3200 for what all other shops charge 4k for I was wondering how it can be 800 cheaper....also heard element tunings Shortblock is great.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:59 PM

Car Info: 2013 STI Hatch
RBMS is building mine...
Old 11-22-2014, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by DatAWSTi
I wanna go to FW for a built short block But when I read it was 3200 for what all other shops charge 4k for I was wondering how it can be 800 cheaper....also heard element tunings Shortblock is great.
his machine work is done closer? I was quoted 4500-6k for my 2.0 rebuild with just beatings and Pistons.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:58 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by Slide
RBMS is building mine...
I am just waiting tell its almost done, then *GANK* its going in the FXT
Old 11-22-2014, 10:16 PM

Car Info: 09 STI
EQ. Nice motor.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:19 PM

Car Info: 04 STi AW
Originally Posted by wwrx
EQ. Nice motor.

Quick Reply: Built motors, who did you go with and why?