what bodyshop performed the work?
Old 01-04-2005, 01:21 PM

Car Info: Not a WRX any more . . .
Originally Posted by bclee
Ok, so I just got the car back from Tommy's Auto Body in Hayward
Old 01-04-2005, 01:41 PM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
Since it looks like the insurance company recommended the body shop, you should ask for other body shops they would be able to refer you to. I think 2x back is unacceptable. One time back is unacceptable.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
Check with your insurance company to see if this is also their 'preferred' body shop. If it's not, you most likely have to pay out of your own pocket to get this one right. If it is, you should be able to bring it to anoher 'preferred' body shop and have it done, again, and have the insurance company pay for it. Good luck!

BTW,
I always use Carmat Collision down at Santa Cruz.

Carmat Collision Center
Matthew Koue (Owner)
1650 Mansfield Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95062

my wife got a recommendation for a body shop here on i-club and took it there.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:01 PM

I think this shop is one of their preferred shops, so I'll see if we can take it to another one. And yes, please send me your recommendations. Santa Cruz might be a little diffucult to work, but just about anywhere else between Cupertino (where my wife works) and anyplace in the east bay up to Berkeley (where I work) would probably work. Berkeley or Fremont would probably be best.

Edit: yup I confirmed they are on the preferred shop list for my insurance company, but I haven't heard back from my agent yet.

And as iBlueVirus pointed out, my wife got the recommendation for Tommy's off i-club, plus I have the i-club sticker in the window, so I'm posting this all here because want to make sure anyone searching i-club for recommendations finds this post if they find that one.

Last edited by bclee; 01-04-2005 at 06:31 PM. Reason: add info
Old 01-05-2005, 08:33 AM

Call your insurance back and tell them you are not happy with the job again. Tell them that you want to re open the claim and take it to another body shop. We have had cars in our body shop that the customer has had another body shop do it 2-3 times and still wasn't happy with the turn out and the insurance payed us and went to the other body shop to get that money back.

Remember when you get into an acciedent or if something happens to your car, you have the right to choose what body shop you want to do the work. You DO NOT have to take it to a shop that is on their list.

I think this shop is one of their preferred shops, so I'll see if we can take it to another one. And yes, please send me your recommendations. Santa Cruz might be a little diffucult to work, but just about anywhere else between Cupertino (where my wife works) and anyplace in the east bay up to Berkeley (where I work) would probably work. Berkeley or Fremont would probably be best.

Edit: yup I confirmed they are on the preferred shop list for my insurance company, but I haven't heard back from my agent yet.

And as iBlueVirus pointed out, my wife got the recommendation for Tommy's off i-club, plus I have the i-club sticker in the window, so I'm posting this all here because want to make sure anyone searching i-club for recommendations finds this post if they find that one.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:47 AM

Thanks all. Still waiting to hear back from my agent, but you are all giving me a lot of hope that I'll be able to take it to a better shop and get it fixed.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:19 PM

So far the insurance people have been iffy on whether I can take it to another place, they say first they have to contact Tommy's and allow someone from Tommy's to examine it if they like (along with an adjuster from the insurace company.) I've made it pretty clear I do not want to take it back to Tommy's again. But I have yet to hear from the adjuster who I guess will actually make these decisions.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:08 PM

Well, State Farm says I can't go to another shop to get my car repaired, they want me to go back to Tommys for a 4th time. I told them that given the results of the previous 3 visits that's clearly an unreasonable request. State Farm is more interested in making the body shop happy than in getting my car fixed. This I don't understand, I'm the one that pays them, right?
Old 01-19-2005, 08:23 PM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
I say it's time to go to the top. Presidents have a way of convincing lower management.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by creativekustoms
Tell them that you want to re open the claim and take it to another body shop.
Can anyone point me to California law or a consumer guide type thing that says I have the right to do this? I've found several that are indirect about it, saying that if I used a recommended body shop the insurance company must make sure the car is restored to the condition it was in before the accident, and that they must guarantee the work of the shop, but none directly say you should be able to take it to another recommended shop.

Since my last post, the paint on the bumper has started to peel pretty much everywhere, the new paint has started to bubble, and I've found a number of other problems which fall far short of returning the car to its pre-accident condition for either of the two claims. The local office thinks I should be able to take it to a different shop, but the regional office still insists that we go back to Tommy's and so far has refused to either look at the car or reopen the claims. (They did now agree to have an inspector meet us at Tommy's when we take it back). Tommy's has indicated they will do a quickie overnight touchup but no more (not actually repaint the areas that need to be repainted for instance). The regional office seems strangely unconcerned that they dished out money for work that wasn't done or was done poorly, this I don't understand unless it's shear laziness. My only hope this that this time there is enough pressure on Tommy's that maybe they will change their minds and attempt to do it right -- State Farm says this is Tommy's last chance, but at point I don't really trust State Farm's word.

Last edited by bclee; 03-06-2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:48 PM

For your enjoyment, a sample of Tommy's paintwork. The bumper is doing this in several places, and this is after they've already had 2 chances to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails Body shop advice-dscn0057crop.jpg  

Last edited by bclee; 03-06-2005 at 02:24 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 03-06-2005, 04:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: silver MIAMI wrx in the bay area
you should have gone to Weatherford BMW Bodyshop. Weatherford BMW is the only dealership that has it's only in house bodyshop. They dont do half *** jobs and they make sure the customer is satisfy too.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
hope this helps

Can anyone point me to California law or a consumer guide type thing that says I have the right to do this?...
IMPORTANT NOTICE:

"Under California Code of Regulations, Title 10, Chapter 5, Subchapter 8, Section 2659, D., 2.C., you have the right to have any repair facility of your choice do the repairs to your vehicle. However, your insurance company can reasonably adjust any written estimate prepared by Westway Auto Body."

Auto Body Repair Consumer Bill Of Rights

A CONSUMER IS ENTITLED TO:

SELECT THE AUTO BODY REPAIR SHOP TO REPAIR AUTO BODY DAMAGE COVERED BY THE INSURANCE COMPANY. AN INSURANCE COMPANY MAY NOT REQUIRE THE REPAIRS TO BE DONE AT A SPECIFIC AUTO BODY REPAIR SHOP.

AN ITEMIZED WRITTEN ESTIMATE FOR AUTO BODY REPAIRS AND, UPON COMPLETION OF REPAIRS, A DETAILED INVOICE. THE ESTIMATE AND THE INVOICE MUST INCLUDE AN ITEMIZED LIST OF PARTS AND LABOR ALONG WITH THE TOTAL PRICE FOR THE WORK PERFORMED. THE ESTIMATE AND INVOICE MUST ALSO IDENTIFY ALL PARTS AS NEW, USED, AFTERMARKET, RECONDITIONED, OR REBUILT.

BE INFORMED ABOUT COVERAGE FOR TOWING SERVICE, UNLESS THE INSURANCE COMPANY HAS PROVIDED AN INSURED WITH THE NAME OF A SPECIFIC TOWING COMPANY PRIOR TO THE INSURED’S USE OF ANOTHER TOWING COMPANY, THE TOWING COMPANY MUST PAY ALL REASONABLE TOWING CHARGES OF THE TOWING COMPANY USED BY THE INSURED.

BE INFORMED ABOUT THE EXTENT OF COVERAGE, IF ANY, FOR A REPLACEMENT RENTAL VEHICLE WHILE A DAMAGED VEHICLE IS BEING REPAIRED.

BE INFORMED OF WHERE TO REPORT SUSPECTED FRAUD OR OTHER COMPLAINTS AND CONCERNS ABOUT AUTO BODY REPAIRS.

COMPLAINTS WITHIN THE JURISDICTION OF THE BUREAU OF AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR

Complaints concerning the repair vehicle by an auto body repair shop should be directed to:

Toll Free (800) 952-5210

California Department of Consumer Affairs

Bureau of Automotive Repair

10240 Systems Parkway

Sacramento, CA 95827

The Bureau of Automotive Repair can also accept complaints over its web site at:

www.autorepair.ca.gov

COMPLAINTS WITHIN THE JURISDICTION OF THE CALIFORNIA INSURANCE COMMISSIONER

Any concerns regarding how an auto insurance claim is being handled should be submitted to the California Department of Insurance at:

(800) 927-HELP or (213) 897-8921

California Department of Insurance

Consumer Services Division

300 South Spring Street

Los Angeles, CA 90013

The California Department of Insurance can also accept complaints over its web site at:

www.insurance.ca.gov
Old 03-06-2005, 10:25 PM

This isn't quite what I was asking. I know you can have the car fixed wherever you want, but if you do choose to have it done at a shop the insurance company recommends, the insurance company is responsible for making sure the car is restored to pre-accident condition, and if it's not they have to take care of it. I just haven't found any place that's very specific about what this means (they just say that if the insurance company doesn't do that, you should file a complaint). Others here have said it includes letting you take your car to a different shop.

Quick Reply: Body shop advice